How is an eBike battery determined to be "Fully Charged" ? By the charging unit? Or by the BMS?

Trevor George

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2014
Hotwells, Bristol, (UK)
Hi all . . . there are some heated discussions going on in a couple of "Private" Facebook Groups I'm in, about fully-charging a new Li-ion battery-pack and then letting it go "Flat" for three times to "Condition" it as per - Cyclotricity instructions.
My guess is that the BMS cuts out power to the motor when it determines the voltage in the pack is getting to low, (rather than 0% Flat) but that I don't know, so I'm asking the experts here if they know . . thanks.
Also some are saying it's bad for the battery to leave it on the charger over-night, and my assumption was that the transformer part in the Mains-lead had some electronics, and a relay, which cut off the supply once the battery-pack was charged.
Others are saying it's the BMS which cuts off the power-supply to prevent the pack becoming over-charged, and not the intermediate box in the mains-lead.
Some are buying expensive electronics to stop the battery being charged beyond 80%, so am I being blind in just leaving mine plugged in overnight?
Thank you for any guidance . . . my current eBike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
about fully-charging a new Li-ion battery-pack and then letting it go "Flat" for three times to "Condition" it as per - Cyclotricity instructions.
there is no real merit in 'conditioning' a battery when it's new.
You do that deep cycle to get rid of the dendrites clogging up your electrodes and verifying the remaining capacity of your battery.
Dendrites form on the electrodes when batteries are kept in storage for a long period (a year for a modern battery, 6 months for older batteries).
On a new battery, there should not be any dendrites. The only benefit of the exercise is to know that your battery is fully functioning.
If it does not complete properly then you know it's time to call for help.
Let's take an example to illustrate the process.
Let's assume you have a 10AH battery and a 2A charger.
A full charge from completely flat to completely full will take a bit more than 5 hours (10AH / 2A). If it does not take that long, then you will need a volt meter.
If you have a volt meter, you can make additional check, what is the lowest voltage that you can still ride your bike at, what is the maximum voltage you can charge the battery to.

Reactions: Trevor George

Trevor George

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2014
Hotwells, Bristol, (UK)
Woosh said:
There is no real merit in 'conditioning' a battery when it's new.
Thanks understood . . but what if it's "New" and supplied in a kit which may have been on a shelf for a year or so? Would you "condition it then?
Woosh said:
Dendrites form on the electrodes when batteries are kept in storage for a long period
I never knew about Dendrites before, but I googled it and now I know . . thanks :)

What I am mostly puzzled about is . . (1) is it the BMS which determines the cut-off point when the voltage is dropping, or does the battery literally go down to 0%.
(2) Is it the BMS or the charger which cuts off the supply to the battery-pack when the voltage is 100% (or whatever percentage)
Thanks

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi all . . . there are some heated discussions going on in a couple of "Private" Facebook Groups I'm in, about fully-charging a new Li-ion battery-pack and then letting it go "Flat" for three times to "Condition" it as per - Cyclotricity instructions.
My guess is that the BMS cuts out power to the motor when it determines the voltage in the pack is getting to low, (rather than 0% Flat) but that I don't know, so I'm asking the experts here if they know . . thanks.
Also some are saying it's bad for the battery to leave it on the charger over-night, and my assumption was that the transformer part in the Mains-lead had some electronics, and a relay, which cut off the supply once the battery-pack was charged.
Others are saying it's the BMS which cuts off the power-supply to prevent the pack becoming over-charged, and not the intermediate box in the mains-lead.
Some are buying expensive electronics to stop the battery being charged beyond 80%, so am I being blind in just leaving mine plugged in overnight?
Thank you for any guidance . . . my current eBike
In the (few) chargers I have looked at, the charger switches "down" to a "holding voltage", once the maximum charge has been reached. For this post, I will consider only 36 volt nominal Li-ion batteries, for them, it has been in my experience, pretty exactly 42 volts, though this value also depends upon the accuracy of the volt/Multi meter used...that causes further arguments with some, because they do not know the accuracy of the charger, or the accuracy of the meter!!
If the charger is unplugged from the battery, you will measure 42 volts on the output plug from it, pretty accurately, with a reasonable meter.
The same can be said of the battery, which will be 42 volts or close to...
This tells me that in the case of the chargers I have owned (both for 36 volt li-ion batteries, with a 2 amp charge) and used, that the charger is responsible for the stopping of the charging.
Faster charging reduces the working life of the battery and if needed quickly, a better alternative is two batteries. This (if the second battery can be carried onboard), allows a battery to be discharged when power is dropped, and replaced with the seond one. But make sure that you have a bike that the battery can be easily and swiftly replaced on the street, with no tools needed. Not all can I believe....
Sadly though, the cheap chargers, if left connected, still charge at a few milliamps (I forget what I measured some time ago), not enough to increase the battery voltage, but just to be "ready" if the charge drops over time, to sense that and recharge again.
Contrary to the opinion of some here, I believe that this is really bad for the long term life of the battery.
Any Li-ion (and some other chemistries) have a limited number of charges, before the battery starts to lose capacity, and this small leakage current tend to "use up" some of these possible charge cycles, reducing the total working life of the battery.
This is a much discussed phenomena, that some of the non engineers here do not accept for some reason! I cannot explain why they do not accept it.
What I use to charge my batteries is a cheap 24 hour timer, one with a tiny synchronous electric clock motor, and I judge the length of charge needed and set the clock to turn off at a particular time.
To prevent it turning on again, I rewire the tiny motor so that its power comes from "after" the timer on/off switch, effectively a) removing all power from the charger and simultaneously b) turning itself permanently off, to prevent charging again in 24 hours.
If the battery is not going to be used for a period exceeding say 4 weeks, the same timer can be used to reduce the charge time, so as to achieve say around 35 volts for storage purposes.
But as batteries self discharge, some faster some slower, a volt meter needs to be used to keep and eye on the charge level, and top up when needed.
But only fully charge again when the battery is to be used again.
"Letting a battery to go flat" as you worded it, would in the case where good quality cells are in use, take months. The best way is to go riding and recharging when "empty" or just before, and the capacity will normally improve with each ride quite significantly in the first 10 charges, less so after that.
The BMS, as far as I can tell, is in "charge" (pun intended) of the battery to even out the charge between banks of cells, and to prevent a normal charger charging, if the battery dips below a certain minimum level, around or just under 30 volts, charging is thereby completely prevented.
This is a safeguard to prevent a battery getting damaged and possibly catching fire, as they are almost impossible to put out by normal means. They usually need to be bodily thrown in a bath of water, or a lake or a stream for some hours to cool down... Generally including the bike as well!
A hose may slow down the reaction, but generally it will not stop it completely and they can easily burn for 12 hours in some cases. YouTube is a good source of video about e-bike battery fires....These batteries are not something for an amateur to play with or to attempt to repair....Be warned...
You can see what this Dutch guy has done wrongly, he has two batteries on the bike, one, slightly pulled out of the socket above the rear wheel, and another on the down tube! Guessing only (I don't speak Dutch, but I can read it), he mixed up his polarities, but its just one of several possibilities, a short circuit is another!
You can hear the cells popping and reigniting the fire!! HORRIBLE!!
The smoke is also a health hazard too!
This guy has a reasonable "take" on e-bike batteries:-
regards
Andy
I hope this helps further.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BMS determines if the charger is allowed to deliver current for the charge to take place, if a battery group is below 3.1v - 3.2v then no charge will take place because the BMS registers a fault. The charger simply can't supply any current because the BMS say's NO. If a sense wire comes a drift the BMS will not allow charging to take place.

In use a BMS is programmed to cut power supply once the voltage is lower then 3.1v - 3.2v per for any cell group, sometimes this occurs due to voltage sag under load. When the latter occurs power will resume once the load has ceased and the voltage rebounds.

You only need to leave a charger on for longer to allow imbalance to be corrected, this imbalance will be in the region of 0.01v - 0.05v. 0.1v is to much of an imbalance and may possibly balance out after two or three discharges. Usually imbalance will be due to faulty self discharging cells or a faulty crappy BMS.

Those who talk about 80% charging are loosing out on a good bit of mah and reducing range/capacity, a sensible option is to only charge to 4.1v. If you know your battery stuff and can spot if an issue occurs, a BMS is of little use with charging in this scenario but will still look after the discharge. Good cells will in the whole remain pretty well balanced.

My 29E celled batteries are in to their sixth year and are charged to 4.1v with a full balance charge every two or three months just to keep everything in check.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
(1) is it the BMS which determines the cut-off point when the voltage is dropping, or does the battery literally go down to 0%.
the BMS is usually set to switch off the output when the voltage drops below 31V for a 36V battery.
(2) Is it the BMS or the charger which cuts off the supply to the battery-pack when the voltage is 100% (or whatever percentage)
no, it the charger. It's usually set to switch the output (of the charger) from CC (constant current) to CV (constant voltage) when the voltage is higher than 41.5V for a 36V Lithium Ion battery.
You need to buy the correct charger for your battery because it needs to be set correctly for the battery's chemistry.
CV=42V for Lithium ion batteries.
CC = 2A for standard charger, 3A or 4A for fast charger.
Don't buy a fast charger unless you get it from the battery vendor.

Last edited:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
The BMS determines if the charger is allowed to deliver current for the charge to take place, if a battery group is below 3.1v - 3.2v then no charge will take place because the BMS registers a fault. The charger simply can't supply any current because the BMS say's NO. If a sense wire comes a drift the BMS will not allow charging to take place.

In use a BMS is programmed to cut power supply once the voltage is lower then 3.1v - 3.2v per for any cell group, sometimes this occurs due to voltage sag under load. When the latter occurs power will resume once the load has ceased and the voltage rebounds.

You only need to leave a charger on for longer to allow imbalance to be corrected, this imbalance will be in the region of 0.01v - 0.05v. 0.1v is to much of an imbalance and may possibly balance out after two or three discharges. Usually imbalance will be due to faulty self discharging cells or a faulty crappy BMS.

Those who talk about 80% charging are loosing out on a good bit of mah and reducing range/capacity, a sensible option is to only charge to 4.1v. If you know your battery stuff and can spot if an issue occurs, a BMS is of little use with charging in this scenario but will still look after the discharge. Good cells will in the whole remain pretty well balanced.

My 29E celled batteries are in to their sixth year and are charged to 4.1v with a full balance charge every two or three months just to keep everything in check.
You packed a lot of excellent knowledge and good common sense in your post. Well done and thank you.
Regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally I'm all for individuals in trying to fault find electronics, even including batteries but only if they feel capable in doing so. Even someone less so capable can quite easily carry out simple tests/checks if they follow good guidance and practices.

Trevor George

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2014
Hotwells, Bristol, (UK)
Andy-Mat said:
In the (few) chargers I have looked at, the charger switches "down" to a "holding voltage", once the maximum charge has been reached.
Sadly though, the cheap chargers, if left connected, still charge at a few milliamps (I forget what I measured some time ago), not enough to increase the battery voltage, but just to be "ready" if the charge drops over time, to sense that and recharge again.
"Letting a battery to go flat" as you worded it, would in the case where good quality cells are in use, take months. The best way is to go riding and recharging when "empty" or just before, and the capacity will normally improve with each ride quite significantly in the first 10 charges, less so after that.
The BMS, as far as I can tell, is in "charge" of the battery to even out the charge between banks of cells, and to prevent a normal charger charging, if the battery dips below a certain minimum level, around or just under 30 volts, charging is thereby completely prevented.
Thanks @Andy-Mat . . some useful information there :)

Trevor George

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2014
Hotwells, Bristol, (UK)
Nealh said:
Thanks also to @Nealh . . . and I'm learning a lot from you guys . . much appreciated.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks also to @Nealh . . . and I'm learning a lot from you guys . . much appreciated.
Thats exactly the reason for all of us to be on this forum, and I thank you kindly back.....None of us know everything, so the sum total of our knowledge equals the whole group....if that makes sense.....;)
regards
Andy

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh