How many miles a day do you do?

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
I suffered a TIA(mini stroke) on 17/05...bit of a wake up call, gave up the fags.....25/day for 50 years(difficult but it simply had to be done) and since then have averaged 20+ miles a day, usually getting up at daybreak and 1.5/2 hr ride before work starts at 8am x 7days a week......It's been great.

Almost never use the car anymore 2 X panniers ....shopping sorted.

I'm starting to worry about the winter months though and thinking about varying my work schedule to block out 10am-12am as an exercise break. I am a systems developer, been working very successfully from home for 14 months.

Riding a Raleigh Motus Grand Tour

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
I suffered a TIA(mini stroke) on 17/05...bit of a wake up call, gave up the fags.....25/day for 50 years(difficult but it simply had to be done) and since then have averaged 20+ miles a day, usually getting up at daybreak and 1.5/2 hr ride before work starts at 8am x 7days a week......It's been great.

I'm starting to worry about the winter months though and thinking about varying my work schedule to block out 10am-12am as an exercise break. I am a systems developer, been working very successfully from home for 14 months.

Good bikes these, I have the step through version

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole

I also have a Motus Grand Tour step through, complete with panniers. It has just turned 3 years and I have 6300 miles on the clock. I use it whenever a car is not necessary, and in all weathers. In fact the car does far less mileage than the bike. Waterproof clothing and boots keep me dry and warm in the winter, shorts and T shirt for a beautiful ride with my wife today for lunch at the Bankes Arms in Studland. Wednesday will see a similarly attired journey with my mate for a pie and a pint at the Square and Compass in Worth Matravers. These are beautiful rides, right on our doorstep in Poole.

Usually however, the bike is a tool. I can carry a huge amount of stuff in my panniers and my young children (9 & 12yrs) pretty much ride their bikes everywhere we go, as well as to school (again, in all weathers).

My ebike has made me so much fitter and allowed us to get the children into the cycling habit; to the point that they hate being driven anywhere.

My mate mentioned above has the Van Moof S3. It's a fine piece of kit that is great fun to ride. I think I have discovered the difference between hub and crank motors...

Crank drives make you smile, hub drives make you laugh! If you want more exercise go for a crank drive, if you want minimal effort, go for the hub!

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Well done for heading your health warning. We are creatures of habit and breaking a long standing pleasurable activity like smoking must have taken a lot of will power.

Reactions: Poolepete

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have ridden 330 miles in the last 28 days on my Haibike cross country to work and back home again on the road.

That works out as bit more than 11 miles a day.

However that is a bit misleading as I only use The Haibike to ride to work and back and all of those miles were achieved in fourteen return trips to work.

So half of the 28 days it got used and half it didn't. Simple innit.

The bike that I bought in March 2015 has now covered 13,918 miles, with the original battery still working very well.

I have had to sort out the odd problem myself, and have also received good support from the dealer, but I am now becoming seriously impressed by it as its age increases as does the miles.

I also have an old circa 2011 rear hub Oxygen that could well have done more miles than The Haibike, but as it does not have an odometer it is hard to be sure.

tuniwes

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
A month on and I'm still maintaining my daily average of 20 miles a day 90% of the time on the lowest assist setting. I also signed up to "My Fitness Pro" and started logging my calorie intake. I was really unhappy with my weight(19St10lb) and started on a journey "to sort it out"
Progress so far, have lost 21lbs, I'm pleased with that but have a 12 month target to get to 14 St.
First time ever I have seriously looked at what I'm putting in my mouth on a daily basis. These days I prepare everything myself from scratch, frankly I'm aghast at what the big food companies get away with passing on to consumers...Particularly salt levels.

If you prepare everything yourself then you give yourself choice and are in control of what is going on

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I found calorie logging a chore, long term, and can stabilise my weight quite happily with any of the various intermittent fasting approaches.. Either restrict eating to 8 hours a day, or seriously cut back 2 days a week.

Diet controls definitely starts at the shopping trip. If you never buy it, you can't accidentally eat it.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
I started my diet in February this year, when I was 123kg.

I’m now down to 94.4kg and have done this through a mixture of a very low carb diet and cycling as exercise. I try and average 10-14 miles a day and at first this was hard, but is now enjoyable.

One other significant benefit is that as I’m a 61 year old Insulin Dependent Diabetic, my Blood Glucose control has improved and my Insulin intake has reduced dramatically.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Good luck with your health programme Tuniwes. Takes some doing, but it will certainly work since you seem well motivated.

I'm riding about ten miles most days, quite a bit of it up hills. Course, once up, you get to roll down the other side. I hit 38 miles an hour down hill with brakes on a bit yesterday coming down a longish steep gradient. I would have been faster, but I thought about what it would be like to come off as the road was a bit broken up and the bike was jumping a bit.

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
I retired in March this year with a target of 10 miles a day or better (10 miles for me burns about 200 calories). In June and July it was over 20 miles a day and August is looking like high teens so it's going well. I allow 2600 calories a day which is generous by most people's standards. I'm currently 92 kg and losing just over a kg a month. I reckon my calories, exercise and weight will all equalise somewhere around 83 kg. Although my ideal weight for my height is about 70 kg I would have lost three quarters of the extra weight I was carrying (I topped out at 119 kg) and I'm firmly of the opinion that you never look quite right if you've been obese all your life and you then get down to the right weight. A healthy and happy compromise is the better bet in my book. I'm even thinking about a new year resolution to not weigh next year and just keep to a calorie and exercise schedule instead.

My main concern is that I was planning to buy a new bike in 4 years time. I reckon my Cube/Bosch will be up around 27,000 miles by then. Will it last that long? I'll let you know.

Darren

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I'm thinking about a BMS here reading Darren's account of his monitoring calories and output. Balancing the charging food, with the stored energy, and the output. Same sort of thing really - or maybe not quite... Good luck with the re-balancing project Darren. :) Enjoy the bike riding.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
First time ever I have seriously looked at what I'm putting in my mouth on a daily basis. These days I prepare everything myself from scratch, frankly I'm aghast at what the big food companies get away with passing on to consumers...Particularly salt levels.

If you prepare everything yourself then you give yourself choice and are in control of what is going on
While too much salt probably isn't particularly good for you, I suspect there are a whole host of other things far worse lurking in that ready meal :)

But yes .... preparing everything yourself from fresh (preferably organic) ingredients is the best way to go.

I started a thread sometime last year about things like this.
Feel free to resurect that zombie :)
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cycling-health-covid-diet.37158/