How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Popped in to visit one of my mates today at his new cycle shop, and came away with an early Xmas present. :)

One 11-42 rear cassette, on one dirty bike, from yesterday nights ride.

I had anticipated a new rear mech and longer chain, but the only thing required, was a slightly longer 'B' screw. :)

Funny you should mention the 11-42 cassette - it cropped up in a conversation I had today with Chris, the manager of my local bike shop.

He's in the habit of buying a bike or two a year which, at staff discount, he can sell after using them for a few months without losing much money.

It gives him a chance to give new models a proper test so he can better advise customers, and he gets to play with new bikes.

His latest purchase is a Cannondale single speed bought because it can take gears, particularly the new SRAM wide range cassette, so he will run 1X10.

Apparently there is a shortage of Shimano shifters.

Chris prefers 10 to 11 speed because of the stronger chain, and usually, the more widespread availability of 10-speed bits and pieces.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Funny you should mention the 11-42 cassette - it cropped up in a conversation I had today with Chris, the manager of my local bike shop.

He's in the habit of buying a bike or two a year which, at staff discount, he can sell after using them for a few months without losing much money.

It gives him a chance to give new models a proper test so he can better advise customers, and he gets to play with new bikes.

His latest purchase is a Cannondale single speed bought because it can take gears, particularly the new SRAM wide range cassette, so he will run 1X10.

Apparently there is a shortage of Shimano shifters.

Chris prefers 10 to 11 speed because of the stronger chain, and usually, the more widespread availability of 10-speed bits and pieces.

I'll keep you posted about how it goes. First impressions are very good though. :)

I bought mine via my friend, but here is the same 10 speed cassette from an Ebay advert that I have just found. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SunRace-MX3-Cassette-MTB-10-Speed-11-42t-Wide-Range-Shimano-SRAM-compatible-/201461382296

I hadn't considered the 10 speed V 11 speed chain strength aspect before. I've been around countless people who have snapped chains, but I've yet to snap a 10 speed chain. I just buy cheapo KMC ones when I see them on special offer. For my use, I can't see the point in spending silly money on a chain.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'll keep you posted about how it goes. First impressions are very good though. :)

I bought mine via my friend, but here is the same 10 speed cassette from an Ebay advert that I have just found. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SunRace-MX3-Cassette-MTB-10-Speed-11-42t-Wide-Range-Shimano-SRAM-compatible-/201461382296

I hadn't considered the 10 speed V 11 speed chain strength aspect before. I've been around countless people who have snapped chains, but I've yet to snap a 10 speed chain. I jus buy cheapo KMC ones when I see them on special offer. For my use, I can't see the point in spending silly money on a chain.
No doubt there will be some who will say an 11 speed chain is just as strong, but I think the point about more widely available, and cheaper, 10 speed chains and associated bits and pieces is a good one.

I agree you can't go wrong with a KMC chain, and there's no need to spend a lot on one.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Well that was a depressingly wet and muddy 24 miles late afternoon today. It even thundered and rained!
I was trying out a route that I had planned for a Xmas day group ride, but need to re think things. I can't see any of us wanting to get too muddy, and I certainly don't want to. 4x4 use on many of the public bridleways has just about screwed everything up around here. :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
can always mess it up for the 4x4 ppl, get a tank n zoom round in that ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and when they get stuck in ur mess it 50 quid to tow um out ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That mess looks almost unrideable , doesn't look much fun though.
Balcombe viaduct ?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It certainly wasn't the best of rides. :(

The viaduct is close to Crowborough, at a place called Burnt Oak. A neighbouring Alsatian prevented me staying there too long.

This was the route.

I wanted to tackle this bridleway again. I've done it three times, and each time that I ride it, I say that I won't ever ride it again! It was actually shut for maintenance work, but I didn't let a minor detail like that stop things. Sadly the top and bottom section is now road stone and super smooth.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Looking on the Haibike website, they appear to fit 2.25 as standard.

http://www.haibike.de/produkte_detail_en,,19620,detail.html

You would need to see how much room that you currently have between your seat and chain stays before going larger. That is assuming that someone hasn't already fitted different size tyres. It will say on the sidewall, but often it is in very small writing, and not always easy to spot.

Only one photo from yesterday's ride. Waiting for my mate to turn up.

Only 16 miles last night, and it was 16 miles of very flooded tracks and heavy mud. It was intended to be my second choice of routes for the Xmas day ride, but it's not to be. Amongst the other riders that were expected to tag along on their own bikes, all three KTM's were going to be used, but the lack of off road riding ability of the other two riders, and the fact that I don't want to be cleaning three bikes tomorrow, I've put everyone off, and re planned the ride for next week. I'm still heading out for a Xmas day ride in the morning, but it will be just a solo ride. In a way that suits me better, as I can just head off early.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
No idea I'm afraid.

You need to check what you already have, and check the clearance between the tyre, and the seat and chain stays.

What I would say though, is that if you can't ride off road because of your wrists, then a tyre like that is going to be a waste of money, and will be destroyed in no time. Just buy a cheap road biased set up until you can ride off road, or just use what you already have until that time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
looks like it will fit just mind tho if im going to chew them up using them on the road ill look for something like what is on there atm and save 25 quid till my arms fixed.;)

time for a new 1 as rear worn out lasted a year tho

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Hi Soundwave, I have these on my bike and have no complaints other than on trails where the horses have churned the trail to 6" deep mud, but I doubt any tyre could cope. They have strong sidewalls so no snakebite and are tubeless easy
Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo SnakeSkin TL Easy Folding 650B Tyre. Available from Wiggle and come in 235 which fits my bike

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
is 2.35 the max you can get to fit?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
After deciding to cancel the organised Xmas day ride and change days for sometime next week, I still opted to get out and put some extra miles before the end of the year. Sadly I had to get back a bit sharp, so it was just a quick 17 mile ride of very deep mud, horse trodden, and 4 x4 destroyed bridleways, linked by a road stone covered disused railway line.
I want to make the most of being able to ride in daylight hours, and even taking the poxy railway line into consideration, it was still better than not riding the bike, and having it sitting at home doing nothing. I have family coming round tomorrow, so it'll have to be a sparrows fart O'clock time of day ride tomorrow. If I can hit the 3,000 mile mark for off road riding by the end of the month, I'll be pretty happy. I'd lost track and got the figures screwed up thinking that it was more, but it's still not a bad achievement for evening and weekend riding.

nealh will know roughly where this is, especially if I say dull and boring!

Last edited:

Advertisers