How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I didn't try any wider tyres... But as your a bit of a Speed freak and prefer tarmac to dirt then isn't a wider tyre going to slow you down?

Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i want something thats in the middle like these imo remember i have still not been discharged from the hospital with a broken arm in 2 places and landed on it again in September with a 3inc hole in my elbow 6 staples as well;(

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-hans-dampf-evo-mtb-tyre-supergravity/rp-prod118265

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-rock-razor-evo-mtb-tyre-super-gravity/rp-prod118257

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-magic-mary-evo-mtb-tyre-super-gravity/rp-prod118255

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes sadly that sign post is the start of the west bound route along the boring old rail line track but as mentioned previously the ride is better in the dark, even more exciting on the 1-1/8 / 28mm skinnier tyres on the 700c.
Just looking at your av speeds they are very similar to mine for a trip so for me I'm quite please to see that as I always thought my asthma was a bigger handicap then I imagined ( Have to admit though this mild very damp weather is causing me problems lately). Some of my trips do av at about 12 -14 mph but that is because quite often I do a fair bit of road to get to off road locations.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Hi Neal, the av speed from the section of VeloViewer that I showed is slightly misleading. Most of the rides have been ridden along side a pedal only mtb rider.
There are a couple of higher ones in there which were ridden on my own, and also some in the 9-10mph bracket, which were ridden on my own, but in very varied conditions.

The biggest hit on average mph has been the Hutchinson tyres. They are absolutely phenomenal off road in muddy conditions or on wet slippery roots, and by far the best tyre that I have to date used, but boy do they zap the power and drag. I really do struggle to maintain any kind of speed above the bikes legal cut off, and find myself riding at a fraction below it, which is irritating. On the road, my mate on his pedal bike, just leaves me for dead. Battery life/range has also been hit, as I'm having to use more assist than It might otherwise have done.

I'd certainly say that our average ride mph are still pretty close though, so with your asthma and my knee, we are a fairly evenly matched team. :)

It's too wet right now to make things pleasurable or even worthwhile, but when things improve, we will have to drag SRS out, and go for an amble on the South Downs. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nealh

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Finally the weather for was nice enough for a ride. -4C, no wind and some sun, perfect! We got even a tiny bit of snow.

Someone had visited during the night.
0 - Rabbit.jpg

Mud was frozen, which made it sooo much nicer to ride than in the goo we've had for the last month or so. Deeper puddles were not totally frozen, and I managed to get my really dirty again.
1 - Frozen mud.jpg

Absolutely fabulous. It's over a month I hit trails last time..
3 - Trail.jpg

As the weather was so nice I wasn't the only one out riding 4 - tracks.jpg

Bike worked well again. Brakes squealed like pigs and felt mushy occasionally. Time for complete bike overhaul, after all 2000km will be broken very soon.

I didn't notice any drop in battery capacity. Shout out to the british made Superstar Nano-X pedals, huge platform and the long 10mm pins work great in our conditions. And they are dirt cheap :)5 - KTM.jpg

Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice one Sherman, good to see that another KTM is out and about and being ridden.

2000km is good going. It doesn't seem that long ago that you bought it.

If I can clear a space in the van, I'm heading possibly off to the South Downs tomorrow, or maybe even the North Downs, then back to the regular every other day/evening riding, along with an organised ride on New Years day. A frost would be nice, then I won't have to be cleaning two bikes!

edit... Just spotted this on FB.

I'm not concerned about e-bike specific tyres, but I really do rate Hutchinson, and it'll be interesting to see how the lad get on with them. And yes it is an 'S' pedelec SW, and no it isn't in this country. :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have 350w s wave ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
this worth a watch

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I sort of headed down your neck of the woods today SRS.

Very hard going in places, and you can forget Friston Forest. I ended up with both wheels locked solid with mud. The SD were actually pretty good, with just a few nasty sections. I stupidly also rode the RUPP that runs towards Wilmington. 4x4 use has made that very slippery and nasty, with some deep ruts. I had one minor involuntary parking episode of the bike. I should have known better than to have tried to ride it.

Bizarrely after Soundwave mentioning the name, these two photos were taken on a course laid out by Steve Peat.

Could be slippery when wet!

Most of the ground conditions were like this, which was a nice surprise.

Still a bit of this thrown in as well though.

Involuntary bike parking on the RUPP. The photo doesn't really show how the back wheel slipped into the lower level of the road. The wet chalk certainly does get very slippery.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Conditions look quite reasonable from the pics, breezy day to be out but at least the sun was out to provide a nice brighr ride. I wasn't able to ride out today as I had to check on my bees and apply some treatment, weather permitting new years day for an outing on the 700c. Ordered some half price lipo's for the mtb so have to wait until 3rd Jan before any delivery is due, initially 10s 10.4ah packs but can configure to 12s 10.4ah to see if they work. V.nice contrast on the first pic, love the black and white effect.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
It was certainly one of those days where you were too hot one minute, then too cold the next. As a whole the Downs were in good shape, but as usual, the places that were bad, were bad!

I was thinking of you just a few days ago and your bees. The bees that have their nest behind the tiles of our bedroom wall, are still very active and out every day. I also can't believe just how much noise that they make during the night as well. Plenty of bickering going on! :D We also have a new neighbour, who has brought one of his hives down from Norfolk with him. I'm going to be pestering him next year to let me get involved. :)

Not sure that my back can take it, but I'm off with my regular riding mate, to do this 30 miler again tomorrow. I had intended to stay at home and chill out, but can't resist it. :)

Reactions: Nealh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: EddiePJ

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Another winter ride on Sunday. -8C, not much wind, some snow. Only 20km due to other commitments, but it was sure nice.

Even the horses are "enjoying" winter time
1 - horses.jpg

Not very slippery at all, as there's frozen ground instead of ice under the snow.
2 - trail.jpg

This would have been all mud and misery. Nice and crispy now :) 3 - frozen.jpg

More snow coming this week! But extreme cold too, forecast -22C Brrr...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Please send us a bit all the trees are budding if not blooming or already with leaves... :eek:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

not sure how to get it on with 1 arm tho :rolleyes:

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
With all the lousy weather and crap riding conditions at home I was more than pleased that I booked 10 days away over the holidays. Had a great time in the sun and riding some great (very rocky) trails...But not without incident and pain 20151220_121703.jpg Day one..Start of trail20151220_121852.jpg
Interesting
20151220_123758.jpg
Strangely enough this is an uphill trail
20151220_130610.jpg
Overlooking the valley20151220_131334.jpg
Winch
20151226_163303.jpg
Scene of pretty large "OFF"

20151220_150634.jpg
That really hurt my body and wallet new computer 110 euros
20151220_144826.jpg
No swimming pool for me unfortunately

20151220_144805.jpg
Sexy leg photo !

There is a entertaining story which followed the "OFF" which I will post when I have a little more time..Also more photos from the rest of my rides while away,

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
how did you snap it in half lol you flip the bike?

best wear pads armour next time.:)

Advertisers