How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Long time no ride reports. Actually I've been busy with other things and weather has been absolute crap. But I've ridden to work almost every day so finally I managed to commute through the winter :)

I'm going to tide every day now during the easter, here are couple of shots from todays ride. Water on ice on many places, really slippery as you can see:
1 - the rock.jpg

And wide panorama shot. We are lucky to have places like this to ride within the city:2 - panorama.jpg

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
WARNING - FAIR WEATHER OFF ROADING!

As the weather was near perfect for a ride yesterday, I went out for a laid back ride around the New Forest with Mrs Lox and our hound. Not much need for the Oxydrive motors as we were going slow and easy...
Captured with Drift Stealth2HD with YouTube anti-shake applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Long time no ride reports. Actually I've been busy with other things and weather has been absolute crap. But I've ridden to work almost every day so finally I managed to commute through the winter :)

I'm going to tide every day now during the easter, here are couple of shots from todays ride. Water on ice on many places, really slippery as you can see:
View attachment 13507

And wide panorama shot. We are lucky to have places like this to ride within the city:View attachment 13508
Are you a biker that takes photographs or a photographer that has a bike?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Being Easter Sunday and with the clocks going forward, it would have been rude not to have gone out for an early evening ride.

I turned down going on te group ride this morning, my get out being that it was raining and I'm lazy.
I guess that attitude didn't last for long, and the ride this evening must have been one of the wettest for a very long time. I hate the feeling of cold water running down the crack of the backside!

Still far better than sitting on my arse at home doing nothing though, and enjoyed 'almost' every second of it.
I came close to taking a couple of tumbles were the clay had become so slippery. The first being when the rear of the bike decided to try and over take the front of the bike on a very off camber climb.
The second being when the front Hitchinson DZO decided to momentarily let go. Totally my fault as I had upped the tyre pressures for the ride on the SD, hadn't yet lowered them.

The tyres were clogging and sliding badly when crossing grass/clay sections. A lazy mistake with the tyre pressures, that I won't be making again.

Although it looks nothing, the climb shown below is an utter bastid. It is wet, boggy, with several ditches and drops, and what you see is only one third of it's overall distance. At this time of year is very much touch and go, as to whether you can make it up it. I've come close a couple of times to failing, but somehow have always made it. I've yet to see any pedal mtb rider make it, and I have to use the sport setting.

Other than being very very wet, the remainder of the ride was pretty uneventful.

With the bike washed, cleaned and lubed back up again, I can take advantage of the bank holiday tomorrow, and go out and do it all again. :)

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am in the middle of a six day pattern of work with all journeys so far done on the sDuro with 70 miles under my wheels and another 70 to go.

You will be pleased to hear Eddie that my bike got completely filthy today on my off road route to work today and I also got severely rained upon on my road ride home. Even in the rain on my way home I was enjoying myself.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Don't worry, I didn't have you down as a fair weather rider. :)

I suspect that you put in more miles than I do.. :)

I prefer not to set out to get wet in the rain, but it's no big deal. Once you are wet, does it really matter. Some of my best rides have been completed in the rain. I can't imagine that commuting in it would be so pleasant though.

I'll be up your way in a few weeks time, for one of my favourite rides.. :)

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Don't worry, I didn't have you down as a fair weather rider. :)

I suspect that you put in more miles than I do.. :)

I prefer not to set out to get wet in the rain, but it's no big deal. Once you are wet, does it really matter. Some of my best rides have been completed in the rain. I can't imagine that commuting in it would be so pleasant though.

I'll be up your way in a few weeks time, for one of my favourite rides.. :)

How are ebikes being received at events these days?

Not my type of riding, but talking to a few people around here - and reading a bit online - I get the impression some of the outright hostility has subsided a bit.

Could be mountain bikers are starting to grasp that 99 per cent of e-MTBs are not so different from their bikes.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I haven't ridden one yet this year Rob, so don't have an update answer, but from the conversation that I had with organisers at the last event in 2015, there might well end up being a blanket ban on the use of all e-mtb's. :(

The sole reason being dongles. The event organisers have neither the time nor knowledge to scrutinise bikes that are entered, and as bikes fitted with dongles aren't legal to ride in public spaces, the implications of allowing illegal bikes to enter events, could land organisers in very hot water.
I fully accept and understand their reasoning, but it is shame that the selflessness of emtb riders that fit dongles to their bikes, could ultimately spell the end of emtb use at all pay and play spaces and who knows where else. Comical when you think that SW has posted a link to Bike Park Wales, and he will be riding it using a bike fitted with a dongle. I wonder how long that it will be before they also ban emtb use. The insurance and legal implications are too great for them to ignore it.

Last edited:
Reactions: owl

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I haven't ridden one yet this year Rob, so don't have an update answer, but from the conversation that I had with organisers at the last event in 2015, there might well end up being a blanket ban on the use of all e-mtb's. :(

The sole reason being dongles. The event organisers have neither the time nor knowledge to scrutinise bikes that are entered, and as bikes fitted with dongles aren't legal to ride in public spaces, the implications of allowing illegal bikes to enter events, could land organisers in very hot water.
I fully accept and understand their reasoning, but it is shame that the selflessness of emtb riders that fit dongles to their bikes, could ultimately spell the end of emtb use at all pay and play spaces and who knows where else. Comical when you think that SW has posted a link to Bike Park Wales, and he will be riding it using a bike fitted with a dongle. I wonder how long that it will be before they also ban emtb use. The insurance and legal implications are too great for them to ignore it.
Ah, not quite the positive reply I was hoping for.

Much as I decry the compo culture and general nannying that goes with it, I can see a responsible organiser cannot properly allow illegal ebikes to be used at an event.

As you say, scrutinizing is impractical bordering on the impossible, so the only safe solution is a blanket ban on ebikes.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Eddie

As a matter of note, do you know what sort of insurance arrangements are in place at these events?

I presume legal riders are blanket covered. Dongles would certainly compromise and or invalidate any cover organised.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly so Rob. :(

SRS, I haven't ever really given any thought to insurance arrangements.

I guess that the organisers must have public liability insurance, which as you say would be invalidated by allowing riders of bikes fitted with dongles to enter and ride.

Bike Park Wales and the likes of, must have similar arrangements in place as well, and I guess that it is only a matter of time before emtb use will be banned.
I have no interest in riding at places such as BPW, but I can well imagine that with the seemingly increasing popularity of emtb's that there will be a number of 'legal' emtb riders that will put out by having a ban in place. Forestry Commission land I guess could follow on, and whilst stopping riders from sneaking onto land and riding would be near on impossible, it is a situation that shouldn't even arise, and fingers crossed, won't.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here the organisers would make riders sign a document that was legally binding proving they had their own personal liability insurance (specific for competitions) and in case of accident impound the bike and have it looked at. In case of dongle they would then sue the pants of the rider involved who would find that his insurance company no longer wanted his business. You have to be nuts to not weigh the financial risks involved.

When racing catamarans I have signed many such documents and have seen sailors turned away from a regatta because their personal liability insurance wasn't current.

Oh and you also need a federal sporting licence to participate in most events.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Bikepark Wales
3 September 2014 ·
We have had a lot of people ask us if we have banned e-bikes over the last few days. Simple answer is that we haven't. As long as it's safe and has two working brakes all are welcome.

Reactions: Gubbins

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
nothing more is on there site, could be a electric moto x bike lol

• Keep out of the BikePark if your ability is impaired through the use of drugs or alcohol.
  • hope they dont take the ****:p

Last edited:

Advertisers