How many people are using there e-bike off-road?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That carriage based place looks nice. I can't profess to know that very area well, just driven through Lingfield, East Grinstead etc many times over the years since I live just south of Croydon.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If someone hadn't recommended it to me, I wouldn't have known about it either. It is tucked away to the side of the railway station and form the end of the Bluebell railway line.

In the scheme of things you aren't so far from me in Crowborough. I'll have to pop up your way sometime. :)

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The only way of showing the steepth of a track is to get off to one side & get a vertical (trees is good :rolleyes:)

Road signs is even better:

IMG_201312077250.jpg

IMG_2013120723535.jpg

C

Cyclezee

Hi Phi,

The Baldwin Street in question is in Dunedin, New Zealand;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I mainly ride off road and use these and find them as good as any I've had in the past
Panaracer Fire XC Pro Folding Tyre | Tyres MTB Cross Country | - Cycle Sports UK

Also these for ice and snow which are brilliant but expensive
ICE SPIKER

The Dutch Perfect wouldn't cut it for the off road riding you do
As well as buying the Ice Spikers a while back , Guess what I have on order. :)

Panaracer Fire XC Pro Folding

My OE continentals are okay on the road, but they are very weak when it comes to anything else. I just hope that the Panaracers arrive in plenty of time for me to fit them before doing the Spam Winter Challenge. It'll also be nice to be able to climb out of ruts without wondering if I'm going to end up on my backside.

Last edited:

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Getting muddy on mine, I need some mud guards really or at least some riding glasses, face covered in mud from the front wheel :)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nice one Jamie. :)

Now that you have christened the bike off road, the fun just gets better. Shame that more MTB riders don't want to get theirs dirty.

Ref the mudguards, don't buy Topeak Defenders. They look great, but after having mine break with the first light tumble, I'd only recommend them for adding to the bin to fill it up.

Last edited:

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
Cheers Eddie, I picked up a cheap one from halfords yesterday for the back, wore some old sun glasses and all was good.

Nice ride this morning to Windsor down the river.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Brilliant Jamie, trust me it gets more and more addictive. The ride also looks nice and free of other people:)

It has been raining almost horizontally all morning here, but I've just fitted the new tyres and will be out this afternoon, rain or shine. :) I also used araldite to repair the crap Topeak front mudguard. If it breaks again, it's destined for the bin and I shall make my own.

Out of interest can the GPS info that you have shown be installed as an app? I use Strava, but that also looks pretty handy.

I don't really do bling, and hate any form of rim tape on motorcycle wheels, but I couldn't resist the red!

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Good speed there, Jamie.

Nearly 15mph over 20+ miles is respectable roadie pace, so you are doing well on a mountain bike, even with a battery.

Have you de-restricted the bike with a dongle?

Looks like you would get some use from one.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Today has been a minor land mark for me.

The bike hit the 1000km mark. I'm pretty pleased with this given that I've only actually had use of the bike for four months, and most of the riding is off road and as and when I can grab the time.

The following photos were taken at the 1000km mark.

Wet and muddy!

My feet and ankles weren't the best when I got back. They were very wet, and coming into the warm made them hurt and itch like hell. They went from white to red in no time. I'll buy some Seal Skinz socks tomorrow.

Now I'm off to crack open a celebration beer.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I have no idea how to take a screen shot, and have never really thought about posting up the info from Strava, but here it is.

This 13.6 degree section of Ashdown Forest was a real pig. Very muddy and very wet, and annoyingly I had to watch for dog walkers, which made the accent even worse.

edit... The new tyres are fantastic. I just couldn't believe how much that they have compared with the old Continentals. I quickly realised today why I previously ended up on my backside so much. :)

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
edit... The new tyres are fantastic. I just couldn't believe how much that they have compared with the old Continentals. I quickly realised today why I previously ended up on my backside so much. :)

Glad you like them and they look great on the bike before the mud!
Mine are bog standard black:(

JamieP

Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2013
That's a lot of miles, I'm only upto 50 at present, out again tomorrow though.

Screen shot is easy Eddie, if on a iPad or iPhone just push both buttons at once, if on a PC I have a prtscn button, I press that and go into paint and press ctrl v.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Glad you like them and they look great on the bike before the mud!
Mine are bog standard black:(

They are brilliant. Several times whilst trying to traverse out of ruts I was expecting with great anticipation to end up on my backside, but nothing.

The tyres just bite in and the bike remained completely stable and more importantly safe. Wet descents were also so much faster. I hadn't previously realised that I was just expecting to much from the OE tyres.

Next job is to get used to the much higher speed that I can carry down hill.

I'm also impressed that the tyres are quiet and safe on the road as well. :)

That's a lot of miles, I'm only upto 50 at present, out again tomorrow though.

Screen shot is easy Eddie, if on a iPad or iPhone just push both buttons at once, if on a PC I have a prtscn button, I press that and go into paint and press ctrl v.
Many thanks Jamie. I'm afraid that I work with my hands for a living, not my brain, but will have a play later. :)

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Eddie ... seems to me Santa needs to be prevailed on for a proper pair of Winter boots as you've clearly earned your stripes (so to speak !). I wore mine every day last year right through Winter until June with a couple of pairs of merino socks (far prefer to the sealskinz especially when you eventually get wet).

MW-81s have just gone on 'sale' at CRC and wiggle. With the delayed onset of Winter they are a bargain. Realize they sound expensive but they make such a difference and also grip really well if you have to get off in mud. Of the many items of cycling clothing I bought last year these were by far the best investment and best value. The difference between wearing these and cycling shoes is a bit like the difference between your old tyres and your new ones :).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mw81-gore-tex-winter-mountain-bike-boots/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360459392

Last edited:

Advertisers