How much is it worth?

BossBob

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2007
Fife - Scotland - KY11
Following on from the winter biking thread, how about,

An electric waistcoat, runs on 6 AA batts and heats up to 40 degrees in 5 mins.
Sleeveless, not designed to be left on constant, but if it is the batts will last about 45mins, can be worn under or over other garments.

Sounds the mutts nutts to me :D :D
Rab

Well, mine are ordered, so I'll do a wee review once they are tried and tested
As they only have 45 left in stock, in case others fancy it/them

Maplin are doing the waistcoat for £20 and a set of heated gloves for £10

Too cheap to resist :D :D

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Saw that Rab, I think I'll be buying the heated shoe insoles, just cant stop my feet from freezin (brrr)

BossBob

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2007
Fife - Scotland - KY11
They do say when you keep the core warm the extremeties (sp) are fine.
Apparantly our fingers and feet get cold because our body naturally protects our vital organs, retaining what heat is available for the core, keep the core warm and the surplus heat is spread around more.

Anyway, looked too cheap to miss, from 62 when I posted to 1 left ;)

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Try merino wool baselayers to not only keep your core warm when its cold, but cool you when you get warm too i.e. it regulates your temperature, over quite a wide temperature range too :) extremely comfortable and practical.

Stuart.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Following on from the winter biking thread, how about,

An electric waistcoat, runs on 6 AA batts and heats up to 40 degrees in 5 mins.
Sleeveless, not designed to be left on constant, but if it is the batts will last about 45mins, can be worn under or over other garments.

Sounds the mutts nutts to me :D :D
Rab

Well, mine are ordered, so I'll do a wee review once they are tried and tested
As they only have 45 left in stock, in case others fancy it/them

Maplin are doing the waistcoat for £20 and a set of heated gloves for £10

Too cheap to resist :D :D
hope they work, ordering mine too, just what i need as work outdoors...

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
not what expected

rang maplins today and they had one in stock, so went down for it, it is a large size that fits all...well as its a good yellow colour my intention was to wear it on the out side of my jacket as so bright, but how can things be called one size fits all if they are not elasticated ect...otherwise we would all have been conned for generations with small/medium and large...im five foot 8 of medium build, although seem to wear large size, i wore a t-shirt and the bodywarmer was a snug fit on that, put my jacket on top of t-shirt and the warmer on top of that and was a very snug fit..too snug as not able to comfortably fasten zip...the heat effect was not what i expected, 40 degree heat i read, i expected to feel like i was still in bed with my electric blanket on, in each of the 2 small inside pockets there is a box where you put 3 AA batteries, each box has on off switch, there seems to be wires running from the box through the jacket which i thought was the "electric blanket effect"..however there is a small heat pad about 3 inch square, or it gives you that feeling, a fraction above the heart and one on the other side, as no heart there i will have to change my pin pointing to say above the "nipple" other then on these 3 inch area's i noticed no other heat, the heat from these while pleasant it about the same as it would be if you held a hot cup of tea to your warmer,not a bad thing and while only tested indoors i guess it would feel better out, although on a very cold day as i wear shirt,jumper, jacket and coat, or similar, to wear in on the inside although giving extra warmth is a waste of time it being bright yellow, i was when got home going to order another as a xmas present as my brother is a sailer and fisherman,but wont as not worth it,and as for my use as a biker, meaning to use it on the outside as awareness to others that you are on the road,you can not use it that way when very cold and thus defeats the object of heated,it may be of use under the coat with the extra heat it gives off to your body, although not the sort of heat i expected, it isnt the thickest of warmers either, again more like the sort you might wear in september on top of your shirt and nothing else..i was going to go out tonight with it and see what i thought outdoors but with all ive said i realised that while in therory its a great idea, its both too small and not warm enough all over to be worth the time messing with new batteries each trip and putting it on, rather like the self heating coffee in a tin can idea a while back, so back to maplins with it, however it doesnt mean a wasted trip because while there i also bought a wind up torch becuse only the other night my chain came off and it was pitch black and i wished then i had a torch, so for £14.99 a lightweight, wind up torch, with only 120 winds, about a minute it gives off 30 mins of light, not "cos it says to on the tin" but as i tested it .ha ha..so ideal bikers/campers/car drivers, ect torch...

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
follow up to last posting...THE TORCH IS GOING BACK AS WELL...ITS RUBBISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
speechless at maplins

took wind-up torch and heated body warmer back to maplins today, torch was sealed but the back had open space so you could wind it up and see it working without buying,the guy was doing his stuff on the till and after a while handed toch ,warmer and other iteks from back of till area to another young lad telling him to go "place them"..i watched the young lad and he went and put the goods back on the shelf, i said to the man dealing with me "is he putting that torch back on the shelf for sale, the one i am getting refund off you for ?"...his immediate reply was..."its not been opened"....in disbelief i almost shouted at him "BUT IT DOESNT WORK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" instead i just aid it in distgust, to his wry smile....i do lost of myster shops at maplins and they never score to high, i wonder why...