How often/cost for general servicing?

Hazel2705

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2011
How often (miles) should I be getting my electric bike serviced? My Powacycle Salisbury seems to have developed a bit of a pedal wobble (feels loose and wobbles side to side) which is probably just a matter of tightening it up. I must admit I've been giving it a bit of a pounding over the month I've owned it!

Where should I take it? Halfords is quite convenient for me but would I be better off taking it to an independant shop. Husband is pretty good with these sort of things so is it best to just let him do it or is it somethig that is best done by someone trained?

Thanks.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
How often (miles) should I be getting my electric bike serviced? My Powacycle Salisbury seems to have developed a bit of a pedal wobble (feels loose and wobbles side to side) which is probably just a matter of tightening it up. I must admit I've been giving it a bit of a pounding over the month I've owned it!

Where should I take it? Halfords is quite convenient for me but would I be better off taking it to an independant shop. Husband is pretty good with these sort of things so is it best to just let him do it or is it somethig that is best done by someone trained?

Thanks.
I've had pedal wobble which was caused by a loose pedal arm which I was able to tighten with an allen key. Perhaps your husband can establish what is causing the wobble. If he is going to remove the pedals then he will need to know that the left pedal has a reverse thread. I.e. to loosen its clockwise!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'm forever tweaking parts of the bike. Probably every month I give it a bit of an over haul and re tune the wheels. At least once a week I lube the chain and moving parts with fenwick lubes. More if it's been raining.

Most bike get serviced twice a year or One large tune up. Evans and places usually charge around the 40 pound mark for a basic service.

Most electric parts though require no servicing which is the beauty of electric motors. Moving parts compared to other methods of engine.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Some LBS wont even look at an E-Bike let alone actually touch one! Ironically Halfords are probable your best bet or Evans if you have one locally to you....

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Best thing is to get friendly with your LBS over a period of time, lots of good (free) advice will be forthcoming with low rates and a proper job done by a friendly, experienced, mechanic, mine costs me £25 for a full service.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
If I were to go to the local bike shop I would swap the front wheel for the non powered one and remove the battery.
Thus they would not get involved with the electrics at all.

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
In the next couple of weeks I am going to book a service with my local LBS, the excellent Green Park Bike Station here in Bath on the basis that I have done 1000 miles since they last (first) did it at a cost of £25 + odds & ends. On that occasion I also had a puncture and Tom the mech had to call Oxygen for instruction on how to remove the rear wheel & hub motor but otherwise was completely un-phazed to be dealing with an e-bike. They have also recently fitted a Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub gear to my conventional bike - top people, highly reccommended if you're in the Bath area.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
As long as there not monkeying about with the electrics they they should service it. After all the majority of the bicycle is still a bike.
25 looks like the going rate. Evans an Halfords will be more pricey!

Hazel2705

Jun 6, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

It'll have to be Halfords as it's the nearest for me and I pass it on my way home from work. We're lacking a bit in bike shops where I live.

Hazel2705

Jun 6, 2011
Thanks again,

It's a broken or loose bracket according to Halflords. Said the most it will cost is £15 if it needs replacing so booked in for two weeks time. They are very busy so that's why I've got to wait so long!

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
2 weeks ?!?!?! aaaaahahaaahahahahahaahaaaa

Take it to your LBS, it might not be very local but it will still be quicker than Halfrauds

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
If I were to go to the local bike shop I would swap the front wheel for the non powered one and remove the battery.
Thus they would not get involved with the electrics at all.
Some of us are trying but the manufacturers can be a pain to work with at times, saying that I managed to talk to a decent human at Powacycle today, a gold star for them today :)

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Some of us are trying but the manufacturers can be a pain to work with at times, saying that I managed to talk to a decent human at Powacycle today, a gold star for them today :)
Mine is a kit on my old Peugeot hybrid - currently running in un-powered mode as the motor connector has been shorting and now will not connect properly - strangely only 10% slower than with the battery and motor fitted !