How to become as punctureproof as possible.

Onegirlandherbike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2019
Thanks - my husband has been looking into this and might use my old tyres to trim and put in his as a type of liner.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks - my husband has been looking into this and might use my old tyres to trim and put in his as a type of liner.
I got given this tip by another biker a long time ago, and it really works. Trim the old tread a bit longer, some 2-3 cms longer, as when the air expands in theinner tube, a longer length is needed.
Some perfectionists might moan about the extra weight (very low!), but the saving in time spent in repairs where thorns abound, is great....
I do know someone who did it AND added that sealant to the inner tube as well (which I guess brings a tiny bit more weight too), though I never heard anymore about his experiences, good or bad!!!

best wishes
Andy

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
added that sealant to the inner tube as well (which I guess brings a tiny bit more weight too)
yes it does add a bit of weight, you can notice it more when the bike has been stood for an hour or so and the slime all works its way to the bottom, if you spin the wheel you can tell it’s out of balance. Of course once you start moving it all distributes and you can’t feel it at all then.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
yes it does add a bit of weight, you can notice it more when the bike has been stood for an hour or so and the slime all works its way to the bottom, if you spin the wheel you can tell it’s out of balance. Of course once you start moving it all distributes and you can’t feel it at all then.
Thanks. I have only used it on tubelss car tyres, where the steel wheels were leaking slightly, as the car was from new, supplied with inner tubes, which on cars and trailers I hate! It worked well for the rest of the time that I drove that car!!

Many thanks
Andy

Reactions: gw8izr