Help! How to DIY an unstealable bike

JVC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 22, 2020
I'd like run an electric bike in London with the same theft-risk as my normal bike. Instead of beefing up the security, I want to hide everything in an unattractive looking bike.

Are there any proven methods on how to hide the motor, battery and throttle into a very boring looking bike?

Thank you!

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Use a rear motor & rack mounted battery, fit very scruffy pannier bags. Add bright bits at the front of the bike to draw attention away from the motor & battery area. Bike will be tail-heavy but also look normal apart from the handlebar display.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and flecc

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I'd like run an electric bike in London with the same theft-risk as my normal bike. Instead of beefing up the security, I want to hide everything in an unattractive looking bike.

Are there any proven methods on how to hide the motor, battery and throttle into a very boring looking bike?

Thank you!
So you want to make it look even more like a normal push bike which is likely to be favoured for attempted theft as it is easier to sell on quickly compared to an E bike?

Get a light folding e bike and take it with you. Or at least take the battery with you with a full sized e bike.

JVC

Sep 22, 2020
So you want to make it look even more like a normal push bike which is likely to be favoured for attempted theft as it is easier to sell on quickly compared to an E bike?
Yes, that's exactly what I want

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Use a bike cover, and have a read through this

Plus some useful tips here

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Cwah used to do this make bikes unfit to steal or ungainly looking steeds, his still got nicked though. It doesn't matter what you try someone will want to take it.

Reactions: DBye

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Sadly, your plan will only work for an opportunist. Professional thieves have started to realise how much ebikes are worth, how easy they are to steal and how untraceable they are once stolen.

In the motorcycle world we've had to accept that we carry massive heavy chains, disc locks, bike covers and alarms. Many ebikers still think of it as "just a pushbike" and lock it accordingly, yet some ebikes are worth much more than a motorbike.

If I was cycling regularly in London, I'd buy a folder and a strap/ bag to carry it with...

JVC

Sep 22, 2020
Sadly, your plan will only work for an opportunist. Professional thieves have started to realise how much ebikes are worth, how easy they are to steal and how untraceable they are once stolen.

In the motorcycle world we've had to accept that we carry massive heavy chains, disc locks, bike covers and alarms. Many ebikers still think of it as "just a pushbike" and lock it accordingly, yet some ebikes are worth much more than a motorbike.

If I was cycling regularly in London, I'd buy a folder and a strap/ bag to carry it with...
Is there no discrete motor design out there? I see mechanical doping use ones inside the seat tube. At the moment my nice-ish road bike has survived 9 years in London being locked in all sort of places and hours with a good chain on just the front wheel and frame. I'd love to be able to do the same with an ebike but it sounds like there aren't many options.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Is there no discrete motor design out there? I see mechanical doping use ones inside the seat tube. At the moment my nice-ish road bike has survived 9 years in London being locked in all sort of places and hours with a good chain on just the front wheel and frame. I'd love to be able to do the same with an ebike but it sounds like there aren't many options.
You've got this type of thing....but look at the price (and it's unavailable)

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
My anti theft strategy:

- display less
- pit lock wheel skewers
- torx screw on seat clamp
- under seat remote light / seat alarm (3 in 1)
- ‘tile’ tracker stuffed inside battery case
- v small / light / cheap Chinese U lock, held by kryptonite lock carrier