How to find a rear wheel for my Macina Action 29 (2013)?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have a Macina Action 29 which is around 4.5 years old. I bought it from Col on this 'ere forum, and it's still going strong - approaching 10,000 miles - the odometer is a few weeks shy of all zeroes! Unfortunately, some cheeky miscreant stole the rear wheel the other day, turning it into a unicycle. And, it turns out, finding a replacement is rather hard.

Here is what I know. The wheels are 29" MTB, and the remaining front wheel is a DT Swiss 466d (OEM fit). My initial research indicates that this model is not made by DT Swiss any more. So, my best guess is that this is the wheel I need. I have always ordered 2.25" tyres, with a Presta valve. I believe the wheel had a 10x135mm QR skewer. Recently I have been favouring tyres from Hutchinson. I don't know the internal rim width, the site linked here says 19mm.

I've tried Wiggle, and they only have 4 wheels of this size in stock, all expensive (starting at £320) - 29" is evidently out of fashion. Chain Reaction only have two offerings, and they are both wheel pairs, not a single. Evans are better, since they have a wider selection, and more price points for me to consider. However, these are only available to fit 11 or 12 speed cassettes, which is no good for me.

I know that I need the wheel to take a 10-speed Shimano cassette (I have previously ordered Shimano Deore HG62 or Shimano SLX HG81) and the disk rotor I've purchased before is a Shimano SLX-Deore RT64 Centre Lock.

Once the bike was bereft of its wheel, it was laid down on its dérailleur; it seems OK to me, but I wonder if I go to the effort of finding a rare 10-speed compatible wheel only to find the dérailleur is bent anyway, I wonder if I should upgrade to 11 speed? I am also thinking that I should get a tubeless/tubeless ready wheel, to give me flexibility if I decide to jump in that direction in the future.

What is my best approach to get a wheel that will fit the bike? I am greatly worried that I will get something that will fit the brakes but not the gears, or the gears but not the tyre, etc! I can always take my bike into a shop, for the best advice, but it's a pain to transport in its present condition.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Minor correction to the above - Chain Reaction have a few more wheels than I first thought. I'll see if they can make some recommendations.

Opinions here are still welcome and sought. I have since learned that I can use wheels marked as "11-speed" - I just need a spacer to ensure the 10-speed cassette is a snug fit. I am also told that 10-speed is not as much out of vogue as I first thought, so I will stick with that format for now.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, I would try Wheelcraft if near Scotland.

I don't know if he does mail order.

http://www.wheelcraft.net

Call: 01360 312 709

Legendary wheel builder from amateurs to pros.

I have had 2 wheels built by him, good price and excellent quality.

If you wish me to collect and post to you if he does not do mail order let me know.

Thanks

Reactions: halfer

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Many thanks @Raboa, I'll take a look. Thank you for the offer of helping with the mail ordering :)

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
From the KTM ebike Catalogue from 2014 - Macina Action 29

KTM Line 29" DT/Deore
DT Swiss 466d-29 > https://www.bike24.com/p2119321.html (DT Swiss 370 | 466d - 29" Rear Wheel - 6-Bolt - 12x142mm - black) Still 1 in stock €119,99
Shimano Deore M615-CL > https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m610/FH-M615.html

I needed a 29" rear wheel for my KTM eRace and even under warranty they couldn't supply the exact same one so I got a Marvic TN 719 29" 36H rim replacement instead and had that laced up

https://www.davemellorcycles.com/products/mavic-tn719-disc

Last edited:

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Many thanks Raboa and Wicky for the advice on this thread. Chain Reaction were able to recommend a specific set of products, down to the product code.

Well done Wicky for finding a 466d - I only checked UK suppliers. If I get stuck again, perhaps ordering from Europe would not be so bad.