How to get at motor mounting bolts?

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Bike is a 2023 Gazelle Grenoble C5 HMB and I need to check that mounting bolts are tight. Question is, how do I get at them?

left.jpg
right.jpg

I guess I take off the left-hand crank then undo the screws holding the plastic cover on, but if anybody knows what happens next that would be helpful!

And while I'm at it, it's the left-hand crank bolt that's arseaboutface innit so I unscrew clockwise?

WavyDavy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
I cant answer your first question but both crank bolts are right hand threads i.e. lefty loosey. There are left hand threads on the left pedal and on the drive sprocket.

Reactions: danfoto

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
D'oh! Of course, it's the pedals that are handed :rolleyes:. I plead brainfart ...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm pretty sure that you have to take off the left crank. I remember doing that to take the cover off when I fitted a dongle. You might be able to tighten the nuts from that side as long as the bolts stay still. Try it first, and if they spin, you'll have to remove the other side crank. I know some Bosch motors hold the bolt head captive on the other side, so you can tighten from the left side, but not sure if they're all like that.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
to take off the right side you will also have to remove the front sprocket and you will need a lock ring tool for that.