How to get higher top speed

MDillyodelly

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
I have owned my focus whistler e bike now for 2 years covered many miles commuting to and from work. Was looking at buying the cube reaction 29er hybrid pro 625 but my friend recently bought this bike and I have to say for the price I was quite desapointed with its performance. What can I do to get more top speed I'm not to bothered about the range as I have many great trailes I ride near me. What parts could I change to achieve a higher mph does anyone know if this is possible?

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Plan 1. You can get about 120 mph if you ride it off Beachy Head. Range will be 535 ft unless it's a particularly high tide.

Plan 2. Ride your bike 20 miles a day. Every week, increase it by 5 miles to 25 miles a night, 30 miles, etc. You can stop increasing when you get to around 50 miles a night after about 6 weeks. Carry on for another 10 weeks. After that, you'll be able to pedal bloody fast.

Plan 3. Get a dongle. Be aware that Bosch are playing tricks with their firmware to give hassle to dongle users, so take advice from Ebiketuning before and after you purchase that bike to make sure you won't come unstuck.

Plan 4. Buy a different bike that you can derestrict yourself, or convert any bike to electric with parts that give you the speed and power you want. I can't see the point in planning to buy a bike that doesn't meet your requirements. You can buy perfectly good derestrictable or unrestricted electric bikes on Ebay for half the price of that Cube. Hub-motored bikes have lower running costs and are more reliable than what you suggested, so are better for commuting anyway.

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a better bike. Ask yourself what "better" means. Is it more comfortable, more reliable, faster, more powerful, more user-friendly or what? Ask those questions about that Cube compared with alternatives.

MDillyodelly

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
 so are you saying that you could not change rear hub motor for a much higher wattage run it off a 60v battery change controls lcd even a complete new drive on the front wheel with a throttle. Like I said I am after getting max speed out of this bike on private trails where I can legally ride. I don't need a e bike to ride on the road like you in your lycra i am fit enough to ride my road bike for that. If I wanted to do high speeds on a puplic road then I would simply spend the money on a motor bike or just go out in my car. If you have no real advice about upgrading bike then keep your funny **** off my post u pleb. This is a e bike forum an simply asked if anyone has done anything similar and if it was worth the while if it ain't then I couldn't really care

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you should post anything to do with going above 15mph on the speed pedelecs section of the forum.
Geared hub motors like the one you have are limited by construction.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the OP spoke about his friend's cube reaction 29er hybrid pro 625 but attached a picture of his converted Focus with a rear hub motor.
I could not understand what his question was about other than he wants to go faster than legal assisted speed.

MDillyodelly

Just Joined
Sep 9, 2020
That is my focus it is not converted it is a factory standard e bike I attached a pic off bike I would like to upgrade

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
That is my focus it is not converted it is a factory standard e bike I attached a pic off bike I would like to upgrade
Make up your mind, one minute you say you use your Focus for commuting to work, so it would make it illegal if you de-restricted it, then you say you only use it on private trails. Not to mention adding to the confusion by mentioning the fact you were contemplating buying a Cube.

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
what sort of speeds do you want to reach? a standard derestricted ebike will go 20-30mph depending on various factors.

Faster speeds are available.

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Pr
Poblem you have here now is that you have upset the man who could have sorted it out by years of experience with great knowledge who has helped many a soul in fault finding and remedying their problems.
An apology would I believe sort that side and help you accomplish your aim.

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Pr

Poblem you have here now is that you have upset the man who could have sorted it out by years of experience with great knowledge who has helped many a soul in fault finding and remedying their problems.
An apology would I believe sort that side and help you accomplish your aim.
Agreed! There's an old saying, 'don't bite the hand that feeds you'. Insulting one of the most helpful people on this forum is really shooting yourself in the foot!

mdepps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2020
If we were to adopt the US standard of 20mph max on a 500W motor most people would find this sufficient and the desire for derestriction would die.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If we were to adopt the US standard of 20mph max on a 500W motor most people would find this sufficient and the desire for derestriction would die.
Most people find the international standard of 15mph on 250w motor sufficient. I'm sure a higher standard would reduce the desire for derestriction, but probably increase safety related issues (which is why it was set).

mdepps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2020
You can already do this with a s-pedelec ( L1e category) - not just 20mph but up to 45km/h on the road. Downside is that they cannot be ridden on cycle paths.
Yes, of course, but I'm just talking about ebikes going a little bit faster.

Interesting thing I discovered about s-pedelecs here in Belgium where I live is that they have a separate vehicle classification, rather than being lumped in with mopeds. You have to insure them, but you can ride them on cycle paths. So I'm wondering whether to simply order a US spec e-bike and put a plate on it. I'd have a lightweight s-pedelec that I could ride on the gears unassisted, or with assistance up to 20mph, and be able to ride it on the cycle paths.