How to get higher top speed

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
any bike capable of assisting at over 25kph will need to be insured to be road legal, you are also obliged to wear a helmet.
Getting a number plate is relatively easy, insurance is difficult to arrange.

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
Most people find the international standard of 15mph on 250w motor sufficient.
I doubt that. Such a low limit acts as a disincentive for those looking to green alternatives to cars and motorbikes.

Plus 15mph is more dangerous than 20mph because your're not keeping up with traffic flow.

And it's boring. A decent cyclist can do 20mph on a normal bike.

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
traffic flow? in town, you'd be lucky to get 10mph in your car.
Legal bikes are already much faster than cars, especially at traffic lights.

Reactions: mike killay

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
10mph might be their average speed, but vehicles will be going at 20-30mph on most roads in towns and cities.

Until they hit the next traffic jam or traffic lights.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i dont need a bell as they jump for there lives :p

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That's not really an argument. The same cyclist should be able to do the same 20 mph on an electric bike.

Elelctric bikes are not speed limited in any way. Only the motor is, and it disengages when you get to 15.5 mph.

Electric bikes are a little heavier than non-electric ones. That has virtually no effect on speed on the flat and it it makes you go faster downhill. Uphill, the weight of the electrics means you you'd have to pedal between 7% and 10% harder, depending on your weight, to maintain the same speed as a non-electric bike.

MontyPAS

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2020

mdepps

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2020
I doubt that. Such a low limit acts as a disincentive for those looking to green alternatives to cars and motorbikes.

Plus 15mph is more dangerous than 20mph because your're not keeping up with traffic flow.

Agreed, that 5mph is a massive difference. I test rode a Qonqer today (Dutch brand not present in UK), which was set to US standard. OMG it was beautiful.

Here in Belgium S-pedelecs ARE allowed to use the cycle paths. So my idea now is to get a US standard bike and put a plate on it. It becomes an S-pedelec-Lite and I can ride it perfectly legally at 20mph on and off road, and unlike 'real' S-pedelecs doesn't weigh a tonne so I can ride it unassisted on the gears when battery is dead.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Agreed, that 5mph is a massive difference. I test rode a Qonqer today (Dutch brand not present in UK), which was set to US standard. OMG it was beautiful.

Here in Belgium S-pedelecs ARE allowed to use the cycle paths. So my idea now is to get a US standard bike and put a plate on it. It becomes an S-pedelec-Lite and I can ride it perfectly legally at 20mph on and off road, and unlike 'real' S-pedelecs doesn't weigh a tonne so I can ride it unassisted on the gears when battery is dead.

that is the same waight as my fs mountain bike :D

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

Some of the S-pedelecs weigh the same as any other electric bike. They're basically the standard electric bike with the speed limit raised. It would make a lot more sense to get one of those rather than a US version, which will be slower and more difficult to get hold of. Her's the Haibike s-pedelec. Tell me the difference from the 25 km/h version.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For the masses 25km/h is fast enough, I doubt many would keep to top speed all the time. Most will want a leisurely ride sweat free ride with out the effort so the assist limit is fine as it is.

Reactions: mike killay

mdepps

Sep 15, 2020
Some of the S-pedelecs weigh the same as any other electric bike. They're basically the standard electric bike with the speed limit raised. It would make a lot more sense to get one of those rather than a US version, which will be slower and more difficult to get hold of. Her's the Haibike s-pedelec. Tell me the difference from the 25 km/h version.
Yes, see your point. Need to find one 1000€ cheaper than that and I'll do it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats 1.3 kg more heavy than my fs bike and it can go 30mph+ got fkn nuked buy a diy 750w bafang turned up the other day tho esp from a standing start it is so quick :confused: :confused:

mdepps

Sep 15, 2020
thats 1.3 kg more heavy than my fs bike and it can go 30mph+ got fkn nuked buy a diy 750w bafang turned up the other day tho esp from a standing start it is so quick :confused: :confused:
You could be making a valid point but I don't understand a word of it.:)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You could be making a valid point but I don't understand a word of it.:)
i have a dongle so no 15mph limit

i have to use my gears to accelerate where the bafang has a throttle so instant power i can just keep up but nukes me slowing down and speeding back up, tho it is pulling over 1000w.