how to go about it (advice very much needed!)

Rex

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2015
Alright I've spent most of last night looking into what I can possibly do for my first and I'm torn between just buying a pre built or making my own.
The biggest issue is money, if I buy a prebuilt I could get one on a 0% finance and spread it through the year but also with building my own I could spread the cost of the kit when is affordable and also make it my own. Choices!

A quick overview of what I will need it for; I need to cycle 13 miles to work each way and could charge it from work but as I can see assisted the majority would easily go both ways.
I live on the borer of Wales and as such there are some very steep hills in my way so will need that extra bit of power to push me on my way, I am by no means a small person currently at 18 stone. (Being a receptionist gives an amazing belly)
And there are a few roads here that I would probably need to go that little bit quicker on mainly for safety if needed, however with hours I work the regular 15mph would easily surfice assisted as the majority are realitvly flat... but you never know when it will be needed.

Now with buying one outright I have come across the Cyclotricity Stealth 1000w and from the vague information I can find online they seem to be fairly well built, fast and good milage within reason.
( http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/Cyclotricity/Cyclotricity_Stealth_1000w_Electric_bike.aspx )
I find that they also have a kit available but from researching this comes in at about £600-700 so the extra 300 for less stress of building seems a decent way to go.

I've just seen some KTM's with a Bosch engine in there, I like the idea of spending a little more on a KTM but its only a 250w... I know there are dongles for these to give them more umpf but how good are they in the long run with hills and do the dongles actually work?

Any and all advise on the matter would be grand and if there are any builds done that I could follow that would certainly help get a better idea on builds and possible costs!

Last edited:

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi
I'm no expert and still new to this world, but from the info I have found out on here I'm sure a whoosh big bear will fit your needs.
I'm sure a few more will pop by and give there advice.
All the best
Steve

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't get too hung up on the watage of the motor. What you need is a motor with high torque rather than high power. The Cyclotricity might be OK if your hills are not too steep, but bear in mind that those big direct drive motors are not very pleasant to pedal without power.

Rex

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2015
I was thinking it may be too much if something was to fail or generally run out of power... I have been looking more into the Bosch motors and they seem to be a good choice. Do you know if they have good torque and suited for what I need?

D

Deleted member 4366

At 18 st, I think a Kalkhoff with their Impulse motors might be better than a Bosch because they have bigger batteries. Also, their bikes are very sturdy. That's if you can afford it, otherwise you have to look at Woosh bikes.

speedict mercury ebike user

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2014
What you need to know is how big the battery is for the 1000 watt bike to make sure you make the range. Also how fast can the charger charge the battery? I have built a 1500 watt bike with a 20 ah battery. The amps meter shows on full power 35A at 48Volts. The range at this speed would be about 20 km. Off course i can not use this all the time since i am going 60 kph. I weigh around 14 stone. Easy to calculate if you use half the power you go twice as far. Actually a little further since the resistance drops when you're driving slower. I know another guy who has the bosch motor 250 watt as wel with the extra speed tweak. For uphill this will not give you extra speed, simply because the motor can not give enough power. Downhill however it will not stop producing power making you go faster. I have a 6 amp charger this charges the battery in around 4 hours fully empty. My friend has a 2 amp charger, it takes all night to charge his battery. Hope this helps a little bit in making your decision. If you have questions, let me know.

Noob75

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2015
Hey man, I have zero clue about most of this, newly joined the world of e-biking, the only thing I would suggest from my limited experience so far is make sure you take your time finding the right fit for what you need.
I rushed into a purchase without having a clue what I was buying and it has cost me some extra time fixing it up and bruised man parts.

The folks on here are great though, they all know what they are talking about and are pretty damned helpful, even to an impulsive twat like me, I hope you find what you're looking for.
Cheers.

Reactions: SteveRuss

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Our Kudos Tornado is a very good hillclimber,with the high-torque at low speed BPM hub drive,priced at £1095.00.
If you are tall the Kudos Typhoon is a 29er version of the Tornado.
There are many customers of the Tornado,Typhoon and Arriba on this forum,all use the bikes in very hilly locations.
www.kudoscycles.com
KudosDave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not 1 cf road bike can keep up with my bike with dongle, will fly over hills ect.

flat ride down canal got 28 miles ;)