How to increase the speed? MXUS xf08 from woosh

erian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2017
Denmark
Hi everyone,

So here is the thing. I live in Denmark. Denmark consumes a lot of beer and is flat. Flat like you've never seen before. We call big mountain a hill of 200m above sea level. I commute to work every day a distance of 35km ( one direction). A flat thing where you can easily maintain a speed of 30-35 kmh.

For this purpose I purchased from woosh a MXUS xf08 hub motor, with a 15mah bat 36v/250w and an integrated lishui HL 1260 18A controller which lives in the bottom of the battery cradle. Pretty happy with this thing so far. I have been riding it with no problems, apart from a broken Pas ring, for 9 months. Very consistent little motor. And I was satisfied with it until now that law changed. From now on any electric bike is permitted up to 45kmh as soon as you have a driver's license for a moped or motorcycle. That means I'm slow. Any suggestions on how I can increase the speed of my little Asian MXUS? I think I am going to be pretty happy with 30-34 kmh I'm not looking for big things here..I still want to ride a bicycle...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You could swap out the controller and battery for 48v x 17 A which should give you +35 km/h. Stock 36v and 15 A KT controller I have been able to attain 27 km/h and 32 km/h with the wind in my back with the motor still giving assist.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can't increase the battery voltage of that kit. You'll kill the controller and LCD.
If you want higher speed, start over.
Next time, choose the motor with winding code that suits your requirements better.

Realistic speed for 36V geared hub motors at different windings:

- code 9: 25mph
- code 10: 23mph
- code 13: 20mph
- code 16: 17mph

For 48V geared hub motor: you won't quite get 30% more speed because of increased air resistance, but realistically about 20% more speed with the same winding.

erian

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2017
Denmark
you can't increase the battery voltage of that kit. You'll kill the controller and LCD.
If you want higher speed, start over.
Next time, choose the motor with winding code that suits your requirements better.

Realistic speed for 36V geared hub motors at different windings:

- code 9: 25mph
- code 10: 23mph
- code 13: 20mph
- code 16: 17mph

For 48V geared hub motor: you won't quite get 30% more speed because of increased air resistance, but realistically about 20% more speed with the same winding.
Next time, choose the motor with winding code that suits your requirements better!!!!

I am trying to figure out pretty basic kids play stuff. If you want you can just neglect my questions.

I assume from your answer that the capacitors are not 63V. well, what about 36V 500w Bafang BPM2 wheel. will higher wattage motor be OK with this controller?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the wattage is OK but if you don't have the correct winding, you don't get your desired speed.

• Informative
Reactions: JPGiant

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
The 500w BPM that you've found might not be any faster than your current motor. The BPM comes in a range of different winding speeds, and how fast it will go depends on the winding speed. Do you know what the winding speed is of the BPM motor you have found? There should be a number in brackets engraved on the motor, which will be preceded by figures for the voltage, wattage and wheel size. It should look like this: BPM 36V500w 26 (15). In this example, the number is 15, which indicates a winding speed of 201rpm. Knowing the number in brackets will tell you how fast the motor of your bike will go. The lower the number in brackets, the faster the winding speed, and the faster your bike will go but at the expense of poorer hill climbing ability.