How to keep my feet dry?

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
I have stocked up a a variety of useful kit for the winter at various discount levels but the one thing I can't seem to do in any satisfactory manner is to keep my feet warm and dry in the torrential downpours we have here in Cumbria ( most days at the moment it seems!)
I have considered some overshoes like the ones at Wiggle
Wiggle | dhb Extreme Weather Neoprene Overshoe | Overshoes
skinz.jpg
and Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/WaterFlex-overshoes-Size-39-40/dp/B003LXN0WS/ref=sr_1_27?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1382532344&sr=1-27&keywords=BBB
Flex.jpg
But they seem to be designed for small slim cycling shoes and I ride to work in my old Keen trainers which are like walking boot style things. Would these products fit over a bulky trainer and what does anyone else do. Waterproof socks? Tesco bags (which slip about a bit in my experience, as do wellies, and lack a certain street cred.. and please note other supermarket bags are available and no favoritism is implied)superhard bare feet? lets me know how you tackle the problem of wet, VERY wet feet please
thanks

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Similar overshoes at chain reaction and planet x bikes. I found that as soon as I fitted mudguards the rain stopped...

Thamosy

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2013
Last year I invested in some waterproof socks - sounds ridiculous, but yes, they exist.

Mine came from ebay as used, ex-army goods because new ones are horrendously expensive - around £30 to £40 for the knee length ones I wanted (well, in my book that's expensive for a pair of socks). When on holiday last year (and with all the rain we had) I found them to be fantastic, and after being out in solid rain for a whole day, and when worn over a pair of wool socks, my feet were about the only dry and warm part of my body.

The only problem with the pair I have is that the ribbed top is a little tight and that to get them on easily it's necessary to turn the leg outside-in over the foot, as though preparing the sock for putting onto a child.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
It's difficult, I use waterproof socks, overshoes only really work with SPDs as otherwise the pedal tears them up. Seal Skin with waterproof over-trousers that prevent water running down the top of the sock are my current solution. Pretty good, but my shoes then still take three days to dry out.

countryman663

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2013
NWest Lake District
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far( even if the capitals where a bit INTIMIDATING !) I am still keen to hear how people get on with overshoes, gaiters etc. I am going to try spraying my Keen 'approach shoes' ( chunky outdoor trainer things) and then try with my gaiters to see if that stops the top filling effect.
Keep the advice and reports coming.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe, but only if your shoes have no gap between the sides of the tongue and the upper.