How to Make the Bike Go Slower?

Davy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2013
i have just fitted a conversion kit to my bike. The problem is that once I start pedalling the bike whisks me up to 15mph; even when set to minimum power and me just rotating the pedals without any pressure.
Great for zooming to the station to catch a train but I use my bike for exploring the countryside; both on and off road. I want to be doing about 10mph so that I can look around and enjoy nature.
It is a Swytch kit which I believe might use a cadence sensor or might just recognise when the cranks are turning.
I can control the speed by pedalling for 10 secs then resting for 10 secs but that is hardly relaxing.
What am I doing wrong?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Show us a pic of the display, if an lcd type one should be able to limit the speed.

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
Nealh, It is a Swytch Eco and so has red neon bar display - no LCD. But you can set max values:
44456Unfortunately, 15mph is the minimum you can set. It still whisks me up to 15mph even with the power limit at min of 60%

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sounds like it uses some kind of speed control then.

Dave Again

Just Joined
Oct 30, 2021
Davy - I have a Swytch Pro and mine is exactly the same as yours. The assist is somewhat "off or on". So I think it's the way the kit is designed. I cycle on flat ground mostly - if I had a lot hills to climb I guess I would be need the assist. I wonder if a disc with fewer magnets would fix it ?

Reactions: Davy

grumpus

Just Joined
May 9, 2019
Nealh, It is a Swytch Eco and so has red neon bar display - no LCD. But you can set max values:
View attachment 44456Unfortunately, 15mph is the minimum you can set. It still whisks me up to 15mph even with the power limit at min of 60%
Can you change the wheel size (larger) so it thinks it's going faster than it is?

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I have a swytch kit and it is very progressive. I would have a look at the cadence sensor to ensure the LED is lighting up uniformly as you pedal.

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
Can you change the wheel size (larger) so it thinks it's going faster than it is?
Nealh, I think that would work. I could change the wheel size from the current 26" to 29" and that would drop the maximum speed from 15mph to 13mph - only a slight improvement though

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
I have a swytch kit and it is very progressive. I would have a look at the cadence sensor to ensure the LED is lighting up uniformly as you pedal.
Overlander, that is encouraging. So you are experience cadence sensing? So you get more power the faster you pedal?
So when I am exploring slowly, or on forest tracks or canal footpaths I tend to be in a low gear cos I want to go slowly. But the cadence sensor would interpret that as I am pedalling fast so need lots of power?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can't Swytch do something about this? One of my neighbours is seriously considering a Swytch kit, this might help my argument that he should get an alternative front hub, or mid.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Overlander, that is encouraging. So you are experience cadence sensing? So you get more power the faster you pedal?
So when I am exploring slowly, or on forest tracks or canal footpaths I tend to be in a low gear cos I want to go slowly. But the cadence sensor would interpret that as I am pedalling fast so need lots of power?
To be honest in my experience its just been a system that is pretty much just works away in the background. It does keep applying power until it reaches 15 mph or 20 mph depending on the setting. On power setting 1-2 you need to add a lot of work to get to 15 mph on any hills and some effort on the flat. On level 5 on the flat it will get up to 15 mph with little peddling. I think it sounds like yours is only giving you one power level. Contact swytch as their customer service is outstanding, they will most likely just send you out a new battery. I had an issue with the old tour battery and within 2 days they had sent me out 2 brand new pro batterys.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Can't Swytch do something about this? One of my neighbours is seriously considering a Swytch kit, this might help my argument that he should get an alternative front hub, or mid.
They will, their customer service is outstanding. I have had my kit for over a year now and its been a really good system. Its almost silent and just gets on with its business in the background.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
But on level one the power is very low so you really should not notice it much. See my other post for more information. I can notice a massive difference between level 1 and level 5, are you seeing this ?

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
But on level one the power is very low so you really should not notice it much. See my other post for more information. I can notice a massive difference between level 1 and level 5, are you seeing this ?
Overlander, thanks for that. My controller does indeed offer five power levels and as I switch between them I can feel a difference (its goes from 60% to 100% power - almost doubling).
My question to you was does your kit offer cadence sensing and adjust the power to match. But I think I may have misunderstood your report that the power is progressive. I think you meant between the power levels, I thought you meant depending upon cadence.

Last edited:

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
I have been in discussion with Swytch and now have the bible regarding how to control the power with a Swytch kit. I have posted their answer in the 'conversion kits' forum. It is surprisingly complicated.
So please let this thread close.