How to open a Q100?

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Anyone?

I've taken the bolts out but can't budge the side. The data sheet (pdf download at bmsbattery) has an exloded graphic but I can't tell whether the side screws on or not.

D

Deleted member 4366

My patent method now is remove one screw and replace it with a longer one, and then tap it round anticlockwise using a blunt screwdriver on the bottom of the screw as close to the countersink as possible. It takes a good few taps to get it going, but after about an inch of turn, you can unscrew the rest by hand.

The three screws hold the clutch to the side-plate, so you don't need to remove the other two screws unless you want to service the clutch.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Brilliant! Thanks.
It's funny you've made this thread as I've just made myself a tool for this very purpose!

My cover seemed rather tight so drill 1/2" steel stock. On of the holes is slighty off but I'm not drilling it again!

Remove two screws. I like to remove the centre lock nut as well.

Insert two longer screws through the tool and into the side cover.

A light tap with a hammer and hey presto! Cover can unscrew by hand once it's budged a quarter of a turn. I like to use copper grease on the threads when refitting.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Now, are you wondering I needed to take this motor apart?

Hmm, I might have to drop the wattage on the next motor. Although I not sure it's failure was entirely caused by wattage. It happened a day after I took a "short cut" across some seemingly looking smooth grass, only to find it was like the surface of the moon! Motor didn't seem right immediately after - the no load speed increased from 35mph to 44 mph and it seemed to lack "guts".

Marctwo

Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2012
Thanks for the ideas guys... I'm overwhelmed. :)

Mine turned out to be a bit tight too. So I used 1 long bolt through a spanner levered against the spindle. A firm tap with a hammer got it going.

D

Deleted member 4366

Although I not sure it's failure was entirely caused by wattage. It happened a day after I took a "short cut" across some seemingly looking smooth grass, only to find it was like the surface of the moon! Motor didn't seem right immediately after - the no load speed increased from 35mph to 44 mph and it seemed to lack "guts".
I've got a feeling that the hall sensors are responsible for a lot of problems on theses motors - especially the 328rpm version. I guess that the position of the sensors is set on a pre-assembly jig. Thereafter, only the stiffness of the legs keeps them in position. I'm wondering if it's possible that the legs distort if you let the motor get a bit warm, which could upset the timing. That would explain why you got a speed increase and less power, and why my two will no longer start after I went up a very long steep hill at full throttle.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I'm wondering if it's possible that the legs distort if you let the motor get a bit warm, which could upset the timing
Or a hall sensor it self just behaving badly ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Or a hall sensor it self just behaving badly ?
I checked my hall sensors, and they were behaving correctly, but there was something about them that the controller didn't like. Without the assembly jig, I can't see it being possible to replace them.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I checked my hall sensors, and they were behaving correctly, but there was something about them that the controller didn't like. Without the assembly jig, I can't see it being possible to replace them.
Same here - Halls all tested ok.

Ran on a sensorless controller but rugh - but I thin the Cutes are like that sensorless anyway.

No big deal - already had a spare so simple 20 min job to swap the innards.

Still debating building a BPM into a front wheel ;-)

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I think your first assumption was correct, you over powered the motor going over the rough terrain which over heated the coils to a point where the insulating shellac on the main coils has melted shorting the coils out which then produces more heat causing thermal runaway.
I would not be surprised if when you meter the coil leads to the motor body you will have a direct short causing an increased cogging effect.