How to secure your e-bike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Maybe it is cast iron? Equivalent to a ground anchor.

Mine is attached to a (thick) wooden stair post. If someone saws through to nick my bike it is ample enough to justify the insurance company paying out - noise would be heard in the whole building, time taken to saw through...

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
Blimey...we're currently storing our new bikes in the spare room, but I never thought about liking them. To be honest I only have a cheap lock when leaving at work, although we are in a fairly low crime area and the bikes are out of sight.

Which locks, chain or D, do people recommend, that's not to onerous to carry on your bike?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
D link. Gold standard. Don't use a cable unless you have a chain or D link too.

Bodigidi

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2017
Somerset
Thanks for the response. Are D Locks big enough to lock the bike to an object, or are they mainly used to look the frame and wheel together?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the response. Are D Locks big enough to lock the bike to an object, or are they mainly used to look the frame and wheel together?
You mention housemates.

Are you in a shared house?

If so, it is likely the theft is connected to your housemates in some way.

Probably not one of them directly, but they may have had a visitor who scoped out what was available to steal in the house and how best to do it.

Alternatively, if there has been a turnover of housemates, a former resident may hay have returned to steal.

If someone leaves, the locks should, of course, be changed.

Realistically, that doesn't always happen.

• Agree
Reactions: VictoryV

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
Worth looking at Datag, provides a visible deterrent especially if the battery is clearly marked as it makes resale more difficult and recovery more likely if the police are involved.