How to use a 52v battery on a 48v BBSHD

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi, supplier has sent me a 52v battery instead of a 48v for a 48v BBSHD build I'm doing for the Mrs. They claim they were out of stock, so will I keep the 52v one. How can I make 48v motor compatible with a 52v battery please? Can it be done with Penovs Config tool? Have reprogrammed my BBSHD, which is 52v with correct battery, so never looked to see if there was a setting for this.Many thanks, G

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. So a 48v and 52v BBSHD are essentially the same thing, apart from the Firmware?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes but different firmware loaded the 52v version has the high voltage limit raised and also the lower voltage cut off is also changed [ follow the instructions because you can brick it ,produces more power as set to 30 amps ]
several people offer this service on ebay item number 203795613041 is one
If you cannot do it yourself tell the supplier to send a replacement 52 v controller complete

Gagsinio

Pedelecer
May 9, 2015
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply and your patience.I have built 5 BBSHd bikes and changed the internal gears to PEEK etc. More mechanically minded than electronically. So please excuse the last question. The new bike is far lighter than mine, narrower tyres, lighter rider, and only meant for commuting. Was intending to lower the Amps to 25 to hopefully increase longevity of both the bike and my Mrs. Would lowering the Amps be a safer bet as well?Many thanks, G

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Lowering the amps is ok ,that's what the power levels do will go under 20 amps ok added bonus longer chain life and longer battery life