hub gear ebikes, QWIC in particular

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Does anyone know anything about QWIC? Just guessing, they seem to provide reasonable quality generic Chinese Dutch style ebikes?

I am looking for a friend who is determined she wants hub gears which considerably reduces the choice. 12 mile each way commute, not very hilly but certainly not flat (Winchester-Southampton).
She tried our Motus (step through, hub gears) for a couple of weeks and really got on with it, but probably can't afford to get a similar one.

I've seen a QWIC N7.1 on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266274566112) which looks very reasonable.

Any other suggestions for this style of bike? I don't think she'd mind crossbar, though most hub gear ebikes seem to be low step of some kind. She doesn't mind the coaster brakes which many bikes of this style have.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There was that one from Amazon for £800 mentioned in the thread about it a couple of days ago. The thread says £400, but the price has gone up since then. They look pretty good to me.

The problem with Qwic bikes is getting them fixed when they go wrong and availability of spare parts. It's best to stick with either Chinese bikes or Bosch. Maybe Yamaha and Shimano are getting there.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thankyou. Yes, the Amazon Schiano is on my list. It certainly would have been even more so at that old offer price. It's showing at £789 now, or £603 'used like new'.

I think that Qwik parts may be pretty much as generic Chinese as the Schiano, but not sure how to find out.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think that Qwik parts may be pretty much as generic Chinese as the Schiano, but not sure how to find out.
Perhaps ask these guys? They appear to sell QWIC, but not QWIK:

" London
507 - 513 Cambridge Heath Road
E2 9BU

0800 368 7303

Rye
Unit G31 Atlas Industrial Park
Rye, East Sussex TN31 7TE

0800 368 7303 "

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They're not. They use CAN-bus. The Battery, controller and LCD are bespoke. You could replace them all with Chinese stuff when the battery fails.