Hub motor wire close to disc rotor

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
Hi, I purchased a 3000w 26" 4.0" fat tyre hub motor for my Stealth bomber and I've ran into a couple of issues and need some advice of possible,
First off is when I have tightened the wheel up the motor wire seems very close if not slightly touching the disc rotor I didn't realise until I came back from a ride out, I have checked the wire and doesn't appear to be any damage to the outer housing, would it be ok like this or could the wire rip off?
Also I've had to move the wheel slightly out the dropouts as the tyre was rubbing against the back of the swingarm and also the rear shock was rubbing against the tyre when compressed, will it be safe with the axle only half way in the dropout slots?
Thanks for any replys I appreciate it

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor axle not seated fully is asking for trouble, motor wire should not be touching any moving part. All in all sounds like a not so good installation.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We need to see pics.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It sounds like the fat hub is wholly unsuitable for the SB.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I can't see very clearly form the pics, but what I can see is that this particular SB is not designed or the drops outs suitable for a fat wheel. I don't know much about these type of motorbike frames but unless the dropouts are actually designed for a wider wheel axle then it is wholly unsuitable.
You may be better off talking to the guys over on endless sphere who play with those types of bikes all the time.

Cam3roon2k41999

Pedelecer
May 1, 2020
I can't see very clearly form the pics, but what I can see is that this particular SB is not designed or the drops outs suitable for a fat wheel. I don't know much about these type of motorbike frames but unless the dropouts are actually designed for a wider wheel axle then it is wholly unsuitable.
You may be better off talking to the guys over on endless sphere who play with those types of bikes all the time.
Ok thanks for replying anyway one of my mates said it will be ok but I don't want to take the risk of my wheel falling off unless I know for sure it will be safe lol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your safety is on your head, should the wheel decide to rotate out it will rip the wiring away or short out as well as likely injuring you worse.
I wouldn't take the risk on your mates expert opinion.
If the wheel isn't fitted correctly or the bike fitting not suitable then don't use it.

e- SB's do come as fat bikes but they have been designed to do so a retro conversion may not be so, whether it is the same base bike or revisions have been made I wouldn't know.
The rear drops outs for a SB fat bike and the std SB drop out may not be the same.