Hub or Mid Drive? Any views?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thinking about the comments on hub motors not being so good for hills where extra torque is needed compared to crank drives, why is it that so few appear to be available at 48V compared to 36V? If 48V is so good why is it not more commonly used? I read a previous thread comparing the TSDZ2 at both voltages and saying 48V was night and day different. Why is say the XF07 or XF08 supplised at 36V if extra voltage would make a big difference to its usability?
I think the first reason is mostly cost. A 10S4P battery is cheaper than a 13S4P battery because there are 12 fewer cells and at the price point of most hub motor bikes on the market that makes a very big difference.

Second reason is weight - a 48v BPM is quite a bit heavier than a smaller rear hub motor. Extra weight means that the wheel build needs to be spot on and that also adds to cost.

You will find larger, more powerful 48v motors in the wheels of cargo bikes which cost quite a bit more than your basic 400€ commuter/city bike.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I agree, 48V bikes are heavier and more expensive but the power is formidable compered to 36V bikes.

Which system to choose as always comes down to where the bikes are going to be used and by whom, a light weight commuter bike will benefit from the 36V system and maybe a 180 or 200W motor, whereas the heavier amongst us who need the extra torque to climb hills would benefit from a high power motor.

As the ebike market expands we get and more and more people on them, we can all start catering to more niche markets, creating bikes to do a specific job. It's all very exciting!

All the best, David

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Hi David, do you know where is going to be the nearest dealer to me (Macclesfield) to try the new Wayfarers ? Cheers Steve..

D

Deleted member 25121

I agree, 48V bikes are heavier and more expensive but the power is formidable compered to 36V bikes.
Both are 250W max to be UK road legal although it's very vague as to how they are (both) spec'd.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David, do you know where is going to be the nearest dealer to me (Macclesfield) to try the new Wayfarers ? Cheers Steve..
Hi Steve, we have just signed up the following in Congleton about 7 miles from you.

They are a motorhome dealer, nice people.

Yourstyle Leisure
Worrall Street
Congleton
Cheshire
CW12 1DT
Phone: 01260 642225
Email: sales@yourstyleleisure.co.uk

All the best, David

cjd

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2013
Whats the top NM from the Hub David? I know you say you can pull up to 125Nm from the mid which is amazing but what can the hub produce at its max setting?

Thanks!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Whats the top NM from the Hub David? I know you say you can pull up to 125Nm from the mid which is amazing but what can the hub produce at its max setting?

Thanks!
We are keeping the Torque down to 100Nm at the crank axle for the first 12 months, we want to see how everything stands up to those kinds of forces.

The Hub will develop 50Nm at the motor, so the power is about the same on both bikes.

All the best, David

Reactions: cjd