Hub test box - worth doing?

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Hi. Still (slowly) working on getting a swytch wheel to work with this Lishui 17A controller. Still dogged by the error 9. Everything performs ok (brakes, pas, throttle, etc.). The only thing that doesn’t yet work is the speed sensing. Either the controller is faulty or it just doesn’t like a swytch hub (I’ve tried two hubs). With crap information on what exactly error 9 means in detail, and a lack of a spare controller, I’m close to giving up (I’ve ordered a KT set-up in anticipation of ultimate failure). I’ve just ordered up a separate speed sensor as the last resort.

Anyway, I was mulling over whether it was worth adding a little “box of tricks” to my 9-pin hub connector test lead. It would be pretty easy to add a LED driver chip and LEDs to each of the three phase outputs to light up when they trigger, plus LED on the speed sensor, and maybe the power leads too. Maybe someone in china already makes these for a fiver? Any thoughts?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi. Still (slowly) working on getting a swytch wheel to work with this Lishui 17A controller. Still dogged by the error 9. Everything performs ok (brakes, pas, throttle, etc.). The only thing that doesn’t yet work is the speed sensing. Either the controller is faulty or it just doesn’t like a swytch hub (I’ve tried two hubs). With crap information on what exactly error 9 means in detail, and a lack of a spare controller, I’m close to giving up (I’ve ordered a KT set-up in anticipation of ultimate failure). I’ve just ordered up a separate speed sensor as the last resort.

Anyway, I was mulling over whether it was worth adding a little “box of tricks” to my 9-pin hub connector test lead. It would be pretty easy to add a LED driver chip and LEDs to each of the three phase outputs to light up when they trigger, plus LED on the speed sensor, and maybe the power leads too. Maybe someone in china already makes these for a fiver? Any thoughts?
Those Chinese ebike tester do exactly what you want. They're very useful when you know how to use them and have the right connectors or adapters. They show phase generation pulses from the motor, commutation pulses from the controller, hall sensor pulses, 5v working and throttle working.

The Swytch Lishui controller is pretty crappy, so you're not missing much. Don't forget that any moulded connectors will have the wrong sequence for KT.

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
Those Chinese ebike tester do exactly what you want. They're very useful when you know how to use them and have the right connectors or adapters. They show phase generation pulses from the motor, commutation pulses from the controller, hall sensor pulses, 5v working and throttle working.

The Swytch Lishui controller is pretty crappy, so you're not missing much. Don't forget that any moulded connectors will have the wrong sequence for KT.
Hi Saneagle. Yes, I was never intending to go the Lishui way But I had it in my spares. It’s all good learning stuff though. I’ve at least discovered that the speed sensor on a swytch wheel is “open collector” - i.e. doesn’t give a high, but drags a high to ground.
I’ve ordered SM connectors with the KT stuff, but I’m thinking of going connecter-less for most of it once I’ve proved it out.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
There are different styles on eBay. Some have leds going around in a circle so you can visualise the phases inside a motor and some have LEDs in a straight line.

Maybe worth getting a box of these as well so you can make up some more test leads.

And some 6 core alarm cable from Screwfix is useful as well.

Last edited:

Cisco-man

Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
There are different styles on eBay. Some have leds going around in a circle so you can visualise the phases inside a motor and some have LEDs in a straight line.

Maybe worth getting a box of these as well so you can make up some more test leads.

And some 6 core alarm cable from Screwfix is useful as well.
Thanks AGS - retired systems engineer - I come well armed with the essential tools and bits!