Hybrid Bike Recomendation Needed

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Looking for recommendations for a good quality mountain bike style road bike (big wheels/decent brakes/strong but fairly light) for a winter project.

Budget around the £1K-£1.5K for the bike but don't know what make & model to lookout for.

Any guidance appreciated

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
Is this for a bike to convert (kit not included in the budget) or a full ebike?
I've just bought a cube reaction hybrid pro 29 (no conversion - 1,800)
For bike for money, the cube goes along way. They do a reaction MTB that you might be able to convert if you wanted.
(Can't comment on bike yet as it arrives tomorrow!)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Aliminium or CF. In that price bracket a lot will be CF frame's.
Cube SL Road SL is Ali with good spec for 1200ish sub 10kg at Je James to start the ball rolling, ah beaten by James.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I'd promote Cube again as they've got their pricing spot on for 2015 and make good bikes. I bought their Cube SL Road Pro for my conversion, cheaper than the price you are looking at (£600) but still only 10.9kg, decent hydraulic brakes etc. The SL Road class is their flat bar road bike - the next one up, the £800 SL Road Race (which looks great) is only £900 and has Shimano 105 components and 10.2kg. The SL Road SL which Nealh mentions is £1200, has ultegra components and weighs 9.85kg.

Michael

Tubamanandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Thanks guys, looks like you all rate the Cube's for quality/price - I will now have a much closer look at their range

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you see our bike that was on the Gadget Show. Boardman Hybrid (about £400 with discounts) with Oxydrive kit. Add a pair of Hydraulic brakes (about £80) and a pair of Marathon Plus tyres and you have a a bike that can cruise in the mid 20s and is very efficient.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Its a t.v star with kudos and provenance :rolleyes:, plus it's got D8veh's touch.

Reactions: rippedupno1
D

Deleted member 4366

I didn't know he was selling it, but it's not a bad price. You cant buy a bike as good as that for £1000. You couldn't even build one for that. There's a lot more to it than you think. It has lots of upgrades. That Brooks saddle has got to be worth a lot. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on. It must be very old. It came off a very old road bike. The leather is beautifully supple. You can't buy a saddle like that. The bike has only done about 300 miles.

Bike £400 if you buy on a bank holiday weekend, otherwise £450 with discounts.
Oxydrive kit £799. Maybe £599 if you wait until Xmas when sales are slow.
Tyres £70
Lights £40
Pump £10
Seat £75
Brakes £99
Pedals £40
Mirror £12
Torque arm £10
Botle and holder ??

That comes to over £1600 and you don't have the inconvenience of having to put it all together. Who said it was over-priced? That's without the Kudos of it having been on the TV.

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
As I said before, lovely bike and wonderfully built but that doesn't alter the fact that it is second hand and as has been seen on countless occasions on this forum how much it cost to buy / build does not save it from some serious depreciation, especially in the first year, regardless of how few miles it has done. As for the " upgrades / accessories " they are worth virtually nothing in terms of the second hand price . As for the " it's been on TV " making it worth more. .... .no let's not go there.
I repeat. nice bike, wonderfully built but in my humble opinion, too expensive.

I didn't know he was selling it, but it's not a bad price. You cant buy a bike as good as that for £1000. You couldn't even build one for that. There's a lot more to it than you think. It has lots of upgrades. That Brooks saddle has got to be worth a lot. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on. It must be very old. It came off a very old road bike. The leather is beautifully supple. You can't buy a saddle like that. The bike has only done about 300 miles.

Bike £400 if you buy on a bank holiday weekend, otherwise £450 with discounts.
Oxydrive kit £799. Maybe £599 if you wait until Xmas when sales are slow.
Tyres £70
Lights £40
Pump £10
Seat £75
Brakes £99
Pedals £40
Mirror £12
Torque arm £10
Botle and holder ??

That comes to over £1600 and you don't have the inconvenience of having to put it all together. Who said it was over-priced? That's without the Kudos of it having been on the TV.
That's not really how you work out the RRP of any bike though Dave... the total of the components always comes to ALOT more than the RRP.

However the second hand value of anything is determined by one thing only, and that's .... what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Reactions: rippedupno1
D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not trying to work out a RRP. I'm just saying that if you wanted to build the same bike today, it would cost about £1800. Everything is virtually brand new except the saddle, which you want to be well-used, so £1000 doesn't seem a bad price. Where else can you buy a bike with that performance and quality for £1000?

I'm not trying to work out a RRP. I'm just saying that if you wanted to build the same bike today, it would cost about £1800. Everything is virtually brand new except the saddle, which you want to be well-used, so £1000 doesn't seem a bad price. Where else can you buy a bike with that performance and quality for £1000?
its second hand... so £1000.00 is a lot, for a bike that even if you simply went out and bought the parts at retail you've said yourself you can get for £1600.00

So if the sum of the parts is £1600.00... what do you think the bike would actual retail for? £1200.00 would be my guess based on the normal way bike prices work.

Now, eBay is a crazy place. I personally sold my old eBike earlier this year and it was on old model, with some scatches and it went for only about £100.00 less than a brand new 2015 model. Which shocked me. But all you need is 2 people who want that model in that size and they can get carried away and pay more then anyone expects.

So this bike might well sell for well over £1000.00

All I was saying is that you can't work out the perceived value of a second hand product by adding up the retail price of the components. Imagine doing that with a second hand car!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I don’t think it’s particularly overpriced at £1000 if someone is looking for a conversion like that. But that is the starting price and it’s been listed once at it and not sold. A BIN for that money would be okay. It is second hand but only just, since it’s only a few months old, and the cost of converting one is much higher. If I was in the market for a bike like this to convert I think I’d rather buy this one ready to go, and with good ancillaries converted by someone who knew what he was doing.

But I do wonder why he’s selling it if it’s so good. Bearing in mind he’s hardly had much use from it and is taking a loss.