Hybrid Ebike

Mr A

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2008
Hi, I'm new to forum and have just created my own electric bike from a kit and heres how and why:-

Been interested in a ebike for a while now and have been looking around at whats on the market, my daily commute it a 18 miles total trip. I'm 6' 3" and 18 stone so no light weight.

Been using my normal push bike for a while now and just wanted that little 'help' with the hills to try and get my travelling time down. I had a tight budget and didnt want to spend a great deal on a first ebike. Looked at the Giant express, nice bike but just not physically big enough for me, and it had no throttle (new uk law i've been told). It was ok to ride but in my view needed much higher gearing. Looked at the cheaper market, Cyclematic, but again too small and was concerned about the battery range and quality..

Had thought of modifying my own bike but wanted to keep that as a normal bike, so I went out and bought a cheapish bike in my size, It was a Halfords Cerrera Vulcan. Not the best bikes but up to the job in my view, 24 speed, large frame and disc brakes.

Researched the ebike kits available on Ebay and opted fot the 8 fun 36volt kit (£419), the kit arrived and spent a weekend installing it, no major proplems fitting the kit.

Final result is a bike in my size, 24 speed and electric power, So far i'm really pleased with it, on a one way trip to work using the high pedal assit I still have 80% battery left so i'm hoping to get two trips to work out of one charge. Speed on throttle alone is 16.5 mph, and
its knocked 8 mins off my travel time.

If you cant find what you want make it yourself.

Regards,

Graham.

rayschooks

Mar 22, 2011
Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. NI
sounds good Graham!

I have been looking to get the missus an ebike and was considering a kit but couldnt make up my mind. Its good to get an insight into your experiences.
I cant quite figure out why conversion kits can cost as much as a decent ebike. Even £419 is still quite an investment but some of them can be over £1k. Im afaid I just wouldnt be confident enough to fork out that sort of money for something untested by me.
keep us posted about your experience with your new kit

best regards,
Ray

Grumpyoldgit

Dec 6, 2010
Devon
Hi Mr A
You mentioned a new law regarding throttles. I am aware this issue is under review, but I didn't know a decision had been made. When did this happen ?

Mr A

Jul 23, 2008
I spent a while looking into the ebike world, and i'm glad with the decsion i made, i can can 30 miles out of one charge (thats using high pedal assist mode), if you use the throttle a lot the range does drop slightly. I know what you mean by the price, but its the battery that makes up most of the price. I'll post a photo soon, as i think it looks pretty smart for an ebike. the best thing about fitting a kit yourself is that you can choose the bike that best suits your needs, and you could upgrade it at a later time for little cost.

Graham.