Hydraulic brake upgrade. But magnets no workie..?

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
Ive got a Yose Power kit that I fitted a year ago and its been trouble free except the pedal sensors not keen on water. Ive done 1600 miles on it since last August and highly recommend the kit as its easy to fit (front wheel version) Well made and the battery has only lost a vew 'volts' according to the display.
Like us all, I have done the usual upgrades to the bike and given the high-maintance on ageing mechanical disc callipers- decided to go for an upgrade to Hydraulic, which was fitted indie and hour and a half, Id guess. They work well and I get a benefit from them.
I put up with the lack of micro-switches to cu the motor, but there is a benefit- so I bought a kit of sensors, which needed some modification to get them sensing the magnets, that you obviously have to retrofit.
They turn off or open the connection when they should and when the lever returns, they complete the circuit- all goody.
However, I get an E9 fault on applying the brake leavers, the headlight (if on) goes out and the bike needs resetting- till it does it again on the first application of the brakes.
If I disconnect the Julet plugs (which I had to swap from my originals, as I ended up with 2 male orange plugs, rather than a 3-pin plug and corresponding socket) - the bikes back as it was, no problem, but no brake cut-off.

Is it possible that there's something else in the brake-leavers that came with the kit that I've not reckoned on? to suit CANBUS?
When I cut off the plugs and re-attached the sockets from my old Yose Power brake leavers, there were 3 wires, red white, black which I followed and soldered/self-amalgamating taped up. Just connecting one switch still gives the same error.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
They're probably connected out of sequence. You can't see inside Julet connectors, which is why I never waste my time with them. Cut them off and join the wires.

Last edited:

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
They're probably connected out of sequence. You can see inside Julet connectors, which is why I never waste my time with them. Cut them off and join the wires.
I've cut them off and re-joined, colour for colour- the switches came with male plugs- what I needed was female sockets, so I cut them off my old leavers and soldered them onto the new ones in place of what they came with. So, I could just plug them into the loom.

PatM

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2009
Maidstone Kent
I've cut them off and re-joined, colour for colour- the switches came with male plugs- what I needed was female sockets, so I cut them off my old leavers and soldered them onto the new ones in place of what they came with. So, I could just plug them into the loom.
By out of sequence, I see what you meant.

I trusted the colour discipline would have been adhered to, but I was wrong- the originals switch black white, but the reed/magnets switched black red...

All working now.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
witches came with male plugs- what I needed was female sockets,
YOSE(KT) 1 to 4 is different to a standard 1 to 4 cable, you would of needed YOSE branded brake sensors. Glad to see you sorted it. When ordering 3rd party parts it's worth checking all the pics match before a purchase.

Andy230262

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2021
Dorset
I don’t have the same kit as you but I soon found out the brake sensors are useless on some brake leavers. I just didn’t use them . I just disconnected them and sealed up the sockets with tape. Happy days

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I don’t have the same kit as you but I soon found out the brake sensors are useless on some brake leavers. I just didn’t use them . I just disconnected them and sealed up the sockets with tape. Happy days
It's fine to run without brake cut off's if you only run with PAS, but best to fit them if you have a full speed throttle fitted to your bike. If the throttle malfunctions, which can happen, you will then have to brake against full motor power, which could be very dangerous and will blow your controller. One on the rear is all you really need.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's fine to run without brake cut off's if you only run with PAS, but best to fit them if you have a full speed throttle fitted to your bike. If the throttle malfunctions, which can happen, you will then have to brake against full motor power, which could be very dangerous and will blow your controller. One on the rear is all you really need.
I was wondering whether to say something about that, because without the brake cut-off, my Bafang would be frightening TBH and actually dangerous, no matter what I did to the start current settings etc.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
In reality throttles do not often fail, but you'll be glad you have one if the worst happens. It's also handy when doing low speed maneuvers.

Reactions: sjpt

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have had two occasions where a brake cut off was handy with a throttle fitted, one on my old Oxydrive kit. I may have been unlucky but moisture in-gressed in the WP julet connector, admittedly I used to ride come rain or shine, two pins were shorted by a copper track in the

The other occasion was an intermittent wire break to the sig wire in throttle wire, fortunately it wasn't a in a 1T4 trunk cable but a separate within in a spiral cover on a controller with block connectors.