Hydraulic brakes question

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just got a new bike with Tektro hydraulic brakes.
When giving the wheels a good spin, they sound like the brake pads are rubbing on the discs slightly.
They don't appear to be binding though.
I'm thinking that they are similar to car disc brake systems, where the pads lightly rub the disc surface at all times.
Being used to rim brakes and silent operation, should there be this sound with disc brakes?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
No they are rubbing. Remove the wheel and carefully prise the pads back.
Then reinsert the wheel and align the calliper central to the disk.

Then pump the brake pads back to position.

If there is still rubbing within this process, you can follow the previous steps again and insert a business card each side of the disc before you pump the lever again. This way it can trick the caliper & give you a little extra room to work with.

Patience is the key with Tektros.

Regards
Martin

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
No they are rubbing. Remove the wheel and carefully prise the pads back.
Then reinsert the wheel and align the calliper central to the disk.

Then pump the brake pads back to position.

If there is still rubbing within this process, you can follow the previous steps again and insert a business card each side of the disc before you pump the lever again. This way it can trick the caliper & give you a little extra room to work with.

Patience is the key with Tektros.

Regards
Martin
Ok thanks. The bike came with instructions for centering the caliper to the rotor, so will give that a try this afternoon :)

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Just got a new bike with Tektro hydraulic brakes.
When giving the wheels a good spin, they sound like the brake pads are rubbing on the discs slightly.
They don't appear to be binding though.
I'm thinking that they are similar to car disc brake systems, where the pads lightly rub the disc surface at all times.
Being used to rim brakes and silent operation, should there be this sound with disc brakes?
Hi.I would start by undoing the Allen bolts on the brakes then pulling the brake lever on and while still pulling on the lever do all the Allen bolts again and that should work???.( hopefully??)

D

Deleted member 4366

You should be able to hear the pads slightly rubbing, especially when new. It's nothing to worry about as long as the wheel spins freely. There's no spring to pull the pads apart, so they only open as far as the width of the disc.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
You should be able to hear the pads slightly rubbing, especially when new. It's nothing to worry about as long as the wheel spins freely. There's no spring to pull the pads apart, so they only open as far as the width of the disc.
True although most hydraulic brakes have a spring in the lever which pulls the lever plunger back, in turn retracting the pressure of the fluid off the back of the piston.

Might as well set it up perfect with no rubbing... Or ride with a set of earphones.

On a side note are you going to Excel next weekend Dave? Maybe another opportunity to try one my new bikes with the latest 'kick in the balls' devices?

Martin

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Brilliant. If you get stuck, you can always contact the dealer you purchased from. They are there to support you, after all they are also supposed to supply the bike fully set up.. Give em a buzz.
Support lol. Fully set up lol.
The bike was meant to come fully set up. I don't mind doing it myself as I get to know the bike better from doing so.
When the bike comes with a big list of pre delivery jobs that have been ticked off, but clearly not done, then that kinda pisses me off a little.

Not everyone is tech savvy and might have to take the bike to their LBS to get set up properly.

I won't name and shame the company, as the bike was a reasonable price ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Aren't you going to let us in on the secret? What bike is it and what are you going to do with it?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Aren't you going to let us in on the secret? What bike is it and what are you going to do with it?
You must have missed the earlier post d8veh. It's a Ridgeback 604LX, nothing special, but it feels pretty robust from the short trip I took around the block. About the same quailty as my Specialized Hardrock, but with the bonus of hydraulic brakes.
Basically, it ticked all the right boxes for what I wanted.

The set-up? Bafang BBS02 48v 750w with one of those new style frame batteries.
Gotta wait for new stock coming in from Eclipse Bikes. They are only down the road, so if I have any problems, I can go knocking on their door lol.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Normally yes, although in my experience Tektro's have a tendency to center more to one side.
Front one centered like a dream. Rear still rubbing a bit, but I've not ridden this very far yet, so might bed in after a few miles.

Wheel still spins fine though and I'll not notice the noise out on the tracks :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Done it :D

The centering of the caliper method does work, but I noticed it wasn't as simple as squeezing the brake lever and tightening the two caliper bolts fully.

When I was tightening the bolts on the rear caliper, the actually rotary motion of the bolt was causing the caliper to move slightly out of alignment.

What I found worked, was to pump the brake lever a few times and keep it squeezed. Then I turned each bolt a tiny amount. Then I would pump the brake lever, keep it squeezed, tighten a fraction more.
After about five times, the bolts were tight enough to leave be, and the caliper was central with no rub at all.

Hope this helps anyone else attempting to adjust hydraulic brakes ;)

Reactions: RobF