Hydraulic Disc Brakes -the Advantages?

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
Just wondered what is the advantages, if any, of hydraulic disc brakes over cable operated discs, I would think, easier to adjust, and a more direct feel when braking, less if any 'sponginess', but I don't know. I have been told that Shimano Dura sets are very good, easy to adjust with no unwanted contact from the pads to the disc when set up properly, Thanks, tenderbehind, Tony.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
A friend who has them tells me they are comparable with the brakes on his SV650. I've not used hydraulic brakes on a pushbike but I know what an SV650 rides like, so...
The feel and power of hydraulic brakes is excellent, you have greater control and can stop faster. They don't need minor adjustments like cable brakes do.
Maintenance is a pain compared, you need to look after hydraulics and clean them very well when servicing. They also need seals replacing which may become difficult to source and are probably expensive, the original lines will probably deteriorate and need replacing. Road salt will make them seize but you won't notice to start with as there is plenty of power, when you do notice then you have quite a bit of work ahead of you to clear it up (a compressor is invaluable for this). :eek: Of course you need to change the fluid occasionally and bleed the brakes, this is quite an art in itself and I've not found an automatic brake bleeder that works yet.
If you only ride low mileage in warm dry weather or only ride offroad you probably won't use them enough to warrant a strip down but if you ride 12000 miles a year then you could get a nasty shock at service time.
They do feel bloody good though. :D