Help! I don't know what e-bike to buy?!

eBike Battery Team

Official Trade Member
Nov 27, 2015
London
ebikebatteries.co.uk
Hi everyone,

Just to let you all know...we're moving into the eBike market ourselves now :D Our first product will be the impressive electric mountain bike from Frey (2019 AM1000). It will be assembled onsite by our good selves and will come equipped with an additional gear sensor plus the impressive Bafang M620 motor.

We are going to be able to retail these bikes at a very competitive price. No ADD or drop shipping issues to worry about when you're dealing with us!

Will keep you all posted as this develops. Thanks as always for your support!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

jfak76

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 6, 2019
It's very cool that you've decided to buy an e-bike to commute to work. I use my Propella 2.2 for that as well. But, my Propella is not exactly what you need, it's not foldable, but I chose it, because it' s very lightweight for an e-bike and it is easy to move it around. It's comfortable and charges quickly and it's ideal for urban commuters. And I personally like the way that it looks - the blue rims, the black frame, the blue accents. You can pay attention on my e-bike and also can check Lectric XP 28 MPH e-bike. My friend commutes to work with this one. And it's foldable !

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It's very cool that you've decided to buy an e-bike to commute to work. I use my Propella 2.2 for that as well. But, my Propella is not exactly what you need, it's not foldable, but I chose it, because it' s very lightweight for an e-bike and it is easy to move it around. It's comfortable and charges quickly and it's ideal for urban commuters. And I personally like the way that it looks - the blue rims, the black frame, the blue accents. You can pay attention on my e-bike and also can check Lectric XP 28 MPH e-bike. My friend commutes to work with this one. And it's foldable !
tour propella 2.2 is similar to my Faro, check it out:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro
Mine has hydraulic brakes and also the option of in-frame battery or larger downtube battery.

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I say spend as much as you can to get a reasonably good quality machine. I don't mean spend £4k on a folder but you may well regret buying a folder for say £700 if you plan to use it every day in all conditions. Your local bike shop is usually a good place to buy as you are close to advice and help if you need it. Also great if you need any after sales servicing. You should also be able to negotiate a bit off the marked price (although maybe not if using the cycle to work scheme). Some of the well known ebike sellers who regularly post on here have a good reputation and offer a perfectly good alternative to your local bike shop together with good support, albeit at a distance.
Things to check:
1. What are the folded dimensions of each bike so you can be sure it will fit in the back of the car. Some folders don't go very small.
2. Make sure it has well known parts fitted, especially the motor and battery. Although you may not have heard of them Bafang motors appear to be good ones. My bike has a Bosch motor. Other well known and well trusted brands are Brose and Shimano. I'm sure there other good ones but there may well be some less good ones.
3. You probably don't need a huge battery but generally speaking the bigger the better. A bigger battery will cost significantly more though and may not be necessary for your needs.
4. You will need good mudguards and good lights along with the right clothing.

I have a 17 year old (non powered) Brompton that I now only occasionally use. This is probably still the best folder because it folds so small and rides well. Mine still works perfectly. It is very expensive though and I have been told the ebike version isn't great. Another possibility might be to get a slightly used Brompton and buy a conversion pack but this is still a relatively expensive option and of course you are on your own when it comes to keeping it going. I keep wanting to convert my Brompton to epower but I can't justify the cost of a conversion kit. The suppliers who regurlaly post on this forum also provide conversion kits and plenty of advice.

Supersaff

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks for each and every one of your pieces of advice and help everyone! I gave up in the end and bought a motorbike. I get to work in 15 minutes now and have no issues. Probably the smarter choice in my case as I do start work at 6am and these winter mornings would annihilate me on a bicycle.
I also couldn't fathom paying how much I paid for a motorbike for an electric one instead. Appreciate the help regardless. :)

eBike Battery Team

Official Trade Member
Nov 27, 2015
London
ebikebatteries.co.uk