I hate the feeling

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Noggin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2015
Hi all. I think I'm a bit too heavy for the Kudos Secret and the Zephyr looks good (plus I like the idea of a 'Z bike'!) but it may be a fraction too heavy. I will have to heave it in and out of the back seat of my 2 door car so weight really matters. Having lifted a Kuo and a Freego I know what the weights, in bike form, feel like now. Bags of coal, at 25kg, are really at my limit.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the zephyr-cdn weighs 21kgs all in, the average 20" folder (like the Gale) is 10% heavier, weighs about 23kgs. You won't find a better power/weight ratio.

Noggin

Apr 22, 2015
Am I right in thinking the Zephyr, like the Kuo, can have the pedal assist switched off and then brought in when needed as Kuorider described above?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
The Zephyr is a very attractive package, just one minor detail to consider, the battery is charged on the bike ,this means you have to take the bike to the charger or vice versa. This might not matter to you but could be a snag for some. Also it's a personal thing but I like 'proper' mudguards for our local conditions.

Reactions: trex

Noggin

Apr 22, 2015
Does the Kuo come with mudguards?! My test ride didn't. And does its battery come off easily for charging?

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Just a thought, take a look at the' City Hopper', these can be got on ebay cheaply. It is a good entry level bike and can be sold on easily if you just need to try an electric bike. I bought two of these to strip for the 'kit' for £300 each and I was surprised at how decent the bike was considering the low cost. The left over bikes fetched a few bob for the local charity shop and I regularly see one running about locally.

Noggin

Apr 22, 2015
It doesn't have the versatility I'd like; no throttle and it doesn't look like the pedal assist motor can be switched off. I'd be back to that feeling out of control again.

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
. I am aware that I really want to be in control when in traffic so perhaps using the bike on 'neutral' in town might suit me whilst still having the boost for open path riding or hills. Is that possible?
With Torque control every thing the bike does is in response to your legs. So yes you can set it to give no assistance and pedal like an unpowered bike or you can assist your leg input as much as you want. Its just as if, at the flick of a switch you are stronger than you ever thought possible! One big difference is that you can accelerate much better than before, so joining moving traffic is much safer. I sometimes find I am cycling with no assistance, except just flicking it on for 10 or 20 seconds when I restart. Just this tiny bit of power from the battery improves safety ( in my view) and reduces tiredness and journey times.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Crossed posts, For no apparent reason it is shown with mudguards but the UK version has none . However SKS make a neat silver plastic mudguard which fits perfectly. The battery unlocks and slips out sideways and has a folding handle on top. Neat and light. I might add that I have a friend with a large cycle business which gives me access to lots of bikes. Of all the A2b bikes the Kuo is the only one I would have. The others are very heavy and feel like underpowered motorbikes. For a non folding choice the Woosh Kreiger looks good but no sign of it being on sale yet.

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
You can add a throttle to the hopper for a few pounds, the plug is on the controller wiring loom.

Noggin

Apr 22, 2015
I think I shall go with the Kuo. Overall it seems to suit my needs better and even at 1k it is cheaper than my last clutch replacement from queuing into and out of work for about 40 mins each day. I've been playing in the kitchen with lifting 2kg at arms length and think it's probably enough of an addition to make the Zephyr less attractive to me, although I do hate Derailleurs so hmmm.... This is not an easy decision! Any ideas as to which is easier/cheaper to maintain?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
For a non folding choice the Woosh Kreiger looks good but no sign of it being on sale yet.
The Krieger is introduced last October I think, it sold out last month, woosh expect a new batch arriving in a couple of weeks but my source says that the whole batch arriving in May is already all reserved, another batch will arrive in June.

Noggin

Apr 22, 2015
Thank you all for all your advice and help. I just shocked the shop owner by putting a deposit down on a Kuo after all, despite having disliked the feeling! Knowing I can use the power ad hoc rather than having it there all the time made the difference, and all your positivity Kuorider! Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: flecc

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
A few tips, Remember that the throttle is 'live' with the battery switched on (this may have changed now). Before folding the bike, slip out the battery and fold up the stand, slip off the control panel as it's easy to knock it. Set the cranks horizontal then fold ,the bike sits on it's 'foot' under the bottom bracket when folded, cut a bit of hose to fit over the edge of the foot to protect the paint. The controller is in the box formed by this foot and well protected, on mine I put a generous blob of silicone grease round the cable entry grommet as a back up against water ingress.
Consider fitting folding pedals if not already done. A short bungee cord keeps the whole thing tidy when folded. A pump will fit inside the saddle tube from the bottom ,hold it with a bit if rag stuffed in. Derailleurs and chains are easy to maintain, parts are cheap and common and familiar to most . Repairs won't put you off the road for long. Number 1 rule, keep them clean and lubed. Consider having a spare chain, one in use & one clean ready to swap etc. Familiarise yourself well with the bike before your first commute. Come back here for any other info hints etc from members and let us know how you fare.

Reactions: Noggin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm sure you will get to grips with the bike once you get it.

The pedal assist is a really good feature, just set it when you start and let its little computer do the thinking for you.

All you need to do is pedal and steer.

Using the throttle is fine, but holding it open is wearing over longer periods and it can be hard to maintain a constant setting when you are pedalling as well, or when you hit bumps and potholes.

Noggin

Apr 22, 2015
Yes I'm really looking forward to picking it up in a couple of weeks now.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
A chap turned up outside my local pub on an e-bike the other day. Said he never pedals and just used the motor. I didn't recognise the bike but it had a front hub motor that looked like it may have been a Bafang.

He let me ride it up the road. Engaging the motor was via an on and off switch similar to a gear change thumb switch. I didn't like it at all. No control on your speed at all. A bit like having an on and off only accelerator pedal in your car. More dangerous than annoying.

Last edited:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
[quote="SteveRuss, post: 261602, member: 13046"

He let me ride it up the road. Engaging the motor wass via and on and off switch similar to a gear change thumb switch. I didn't like it at all. No control on your speed at all. A bit like have an on and off only accelerator pedal in your car. More dangerous than annoying.[/quote]

That's why I prefer a torque sensor.

Reactions: SteveRuss