Help! I need a lightweight step through

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I have loved my crusa, but I struggled with the weight to start with and now 2 surgeries later I am completely floored by it

So I need superlight weight with lots of battery and is there anyway round the throttle thingies cos I love it, I guess a super powerful motor might work I dunno (as you can tell from my language I'm not very techy)

Final wish (not need) occasionally I'd like to tow a trailer

What should I start looking at? & thanks for you patience

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Super light, powerful and big battery are not all seen in the same bike. Generally weight goes up with power and also with battery size.

This bike is 7kg lighter than the Crusa; 16.9kg vs 24kg. Battery is 30% less: 10.4Ah vs 13Ah

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks ill have a look

Someone has suggested an islabike at 13.4kgs does anyone know about that?

Can you buy a lightweight bike and add a motor? Or is that a bad idea?

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
When you say "but I struggled with the weight to start with and now 2 surgeries later I am completely floored by it " are you struggling with moving it around when stationary or are you having trouble pedalling it ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have loved my crusa, but I struggled with the weight to start with and now 2 surgeries later I am completely floored by it
hello katymac,
if you have trouble with the weight of the bike, you can use the walk mode on the bike to get the bike moving slowly.
You can find instruction how to use it in the Crusa manual.

Find a quiet street to try out first.
Switch on the LCD and press and hold the - (minus) button.
After about 2 seconds, the motor will start and the bike will move at about 3mph.
Squeeze the brakes to stop the motor or to slow down.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Its maneuvering it to lock it up or hoiking it up onto the pavement

If my husband is home he gets it in and out of the shed but if he isn't home I am a bit stuck

I do use the walk thing when I'm not cycling - its a bit fast than me tho

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
when you find a new bike, you can sell your Crusa on our second hand web page. They'll go quite quickly.
Try squeezing the brake levers when you use the walk mode - you don't have to squeeze them much, just a little bit will slow down the bike.
The Crusa is a big bike, I can understand why you may have trouble getting it in/out of the shed.
A smaller bike like a folding bike may solve that problem.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I doubt I could lift a folding bike or bend and drag it, I'll have a think

I love the big wheels and the shape of the crusa, I think if I get new my daughter will steal it she has her eyes of cycling to Felixstowe and back

So few bikes are step through

Reactions: Woosh

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So few bikes are step through
Lots of bikes are step-through. However, they tend to be heavier because of the difficulty of making a decently rigid frame with the highly sub-optimal geometry step-through imposes. As others have said, your original request for lightweight and lots of battery is difficult enough; but step-through is yet another hurdle to throw at that tradeoff. We really like our Motus step-through, but certainly can't say it's light.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I think I'm going ro look at having something built - my mum died during covid and she loved that I qas riding my bike it reminded her of my dad

So I'll use some of her money (plus my Christmas money) to get just what I want, then my daughter can have my bike and we can all go off together

So I need to find someone who will design, build and maintain it for me

If it was an ordinary bike I'd ask my brother but he doesn't do electric (& builds bikes in Sweden)