I want music on my bike.

Anthony27

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 29, 2018
Lausanne Area, Switzerland
Hello all,

It's now been 4 weeks since I started commuting to and from work (30 miles return trip) on my Moustache Samedi.

There are quite a few long straight stretches - and I thought that listening to music would be nice.

I am not in favour of headphones, too dangerous: (1) you can't hear what's going on around you and (2) they reduce your sense of balance. So they're definitely a no-go for me (and should be for everybody, but that's just my opinion).

Now, ideally, I'd like a speaker or something similar. I bought a cheap-ish Sony XB-10 bluetooth speaker - water-resistant - and found a way to fix it on the handlebar, but it's not powerful enough. At anything above 20 mph the wind noise drowns out most pieces. It's funny because I tested it in the shop and found it loud enough, but that goes to show how much wind noise you get when you're cycling, even at 20 mph.

Also, the system I use to fix it is very flimsy, and I keep needing to reposition it after bumps, etc.

So, have any of you tried fixing speaker(s) to your bike and which ones?

Anthony

Reactions: LeighPing

Richardab

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2018
UK
I tried a waterbottle speaker once, by the time I had it loud enough to hear over the wind noise, it was embarrassingly loud when slowing down for a junction etc, I felt like some sort of chav with a booming car stereo. The quality was also awful at that level.

I have since bought some Aftershokz Trekz headphones. They transmit the sound into your head through bone conduction leaving your ears free to hear whats around.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I own a pair of Aftershokz Bluez 2 bone conduction headphones, but they suffer the same issue you describe. Once riding at 20mph+, they are drowned out by wind noise. Also, the sound quality is pretty poor and they're only really suitable for voice audio IMO.

I also own a Minirig speaker/subwoofer combo (link below). The sound quality is fantastic and it can play LOUD when required. I haven't yet tried it on the bike, but hope to in the coming week, so I'll let you know my findings when I do.

https://minirigs.co.uk/speakers

Reactions: Anthony27

Anthony27

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 29, 2018
Lausanne Area, Switzerland
4E3CA052-ACE1-41A1-A74D-B7BF25C016BB.jpeg EBD6154E-2F9E-454E-816B-91F2F1AE38E9.jpeg Yes, it can be an issue when you stop at traffic lights everyone can hear it, and I don’t like to be that guy, and when you’re cruising at 20 odd YOu can’t hear it.

Here are two pictures of my set-up. Rather primitive, but at least I can control the volume and play from the speaker itself.

But I really need more music power for ‘speed‘, and something that will fix firmly onto the bike somewhere, and be easily removable for charging.

Richardab

Pedelecer
Apr 17, 2018
UK
View attachment 25639 View attachment 25640 Yes, it can be an issue when you stop at traffic lights everyone can hear it, and I don’t like to be that guy, and when you’re cruising at 20 odd YOu can’t hear it.
I think they can hear it when you are going by at 20mph, just because we can't hear it because of the wind noise doesn't mean they can't. I just couldn't help thinking what I would have been thinking had I heard me whizz by with that racket!

Tis true the bone conduction phones are not great if you are an audiophile, but I have found them perfectly adequate for music, and although not terribly loud, loud enough, any louder and I think they would distract me from hearing traffic etc (and at least only I am subjected to my poor music taste!)

Plodder Bob

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2017
Manchester
Has anyone tried Livall Bluetooth cycle helmet comes with small mounted speakers mounted above the ear ? Think the 2018 models have improved over earlier models they have mixed reviews though . I’m tempted to mount my BOSE mini soundlink on my bike , it certainly has the power but a bit big for handlebar position would fit on top of rear rack though without much hassle .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
leighping has it sorted I believe, watching his many videos.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I use in ear buds, and a Sony wna25 or 35 music player. ..usually tuned to a radio station... There is usually enough noise from traffic to be heard.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Wow there is a lot going on up front, not sure you can add anything else if you want to.
View attachment 25639 View attachment 25640 Yes, it can be an issue when you stop at traffic lights everyone can hear it, and I don’t like to be that guy, and when you’re cruising at 20 odd YOu can’t hear it.

Here are two pictures of my set-up. Rather primitive, but at least I can control the volume and play from the speaker itself.

But I really need more music power for ‘speed‘, and something that will fix firmly onto the bike somewhere, and be easily removable for charging.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
leighping has it sorted I believe, watching his many videos.
I use one of these MP3 players. All the music is on a memory card and it's plenty loud enough. I face the speaker towards the road ahead. But it'd be louder faced towards the rider.

DSC00620.JPG DSC00621.JPG

In this video it's picked up by the camera mic and is around 70% volume. It'll play for around 2.5 - 3 hours before it needs a recharge.

Shop around. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Sport-Bicycle-Music-MP3-Player-Mini-Speaker-FM-Radio-Stereo-Sound-Vro/292424650813?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=52861&meid=807aed5e93d24265a02cc88c9726c1fe&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=360687790777&itm=292424650813&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Maybe noise cancelling is not a great idea .. I do use it with my Sony NWA 35 music player ,and it can be too good.. i have opted to use my sennheisser ear buds instead, so that I will hear the artic. Growling behind.

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the ones i linked to are 2000 times better than those ;)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Maybe noise cancelling is not a great idea .. I do use it with my Sony NWA 35 music player ,and it can be too good.. i have opted to use my sennheisser ear buds instead, so that I will hear the artic. Growling behind.
Why noise cancelling isn't good?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I want a jammer to cut music and also jam phone ear plugs so that people hear me asking them to respect the cycle path! Please... :D

• :D
Reactions: Nealh