Wisper I was wrong Wisper 806 is amazing

BikingJules

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 1, 2023
Hi everyone,
I’ve been blown away by my husband’s new Wisper 806 today.
So, three weeks ago he bought an electric bike. Since then we’ve done miles, me on a standard MTB, him on the Wisper.

I’ve had a go on it a handful of times, zooming along a cycling track, loving the throttle and instant speed. Today we went to the end of the tarmac trail and onto rough unmade roads/ farm tracks and grass single track. It was far from gnarly but, a bit rough and with changing surfaces, dips, climbs and single track.
I’d heard lots of negatives about E bikes on this kind of track and didn’t think the bike would be very good on it.

I had a go over all these surfaces and, I was absolutely blown away. The bike was more than capable, the tyres didn’t spin, it wasn’t at all skittish. It was absolutely joyous.

I covered the mixed terrain power level one and two, it carried me smoothly, glides over the dips and rough.
I’m sold on this bike. It’s a big bike ride and capable of much more than just commuting.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Jules, we’ve taken a lot of time to get the 806 to this stage, and the bike was recently awarded the Which Best Buy Award! Your report makes every minute spent on the bike and every tweak we’ve made over the last 8 years worth while.
Thanks again.

All the best, David

Reactions: BikingJules

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I believe 806 is a good folder, but if off road is your thing I would convert your MTB with mid drive kit if I were you. Cost around £400-£600

Last edited:

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Wisper are doing a nice range of bikes and available now in the Decathlon catalogue. Different animal, but I do like my Decathlon Riverside 500E bought at the bargain price of £999 at the start of the year. But you need to like the Continental riding style and of course not folding. So horses for courses I guess. Peter

PS Rode about 20 miles across south Birmingham on my old Swytch style bike (fits more easily in my car), but solely missed the 'instant' power from standing which I get on the 500E and is also available legally on the Wisper (with the throttle).
By the way not convinced all the marked 'greenways' in south Birmingham actually exist ( or at least they are well hidden).

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
Thanks I will take a look. The problem is I think keeping up to date with new housing and industrial developments. Peter

Reactions: lenny

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
Wisper are doing a nice range of bikes and available now in the Decathlon catalogue. Different animal, but I do like my Decathlon Riverside 500E bought at the bargain price of £999 at the start of the year. But you need to like the Continental riding style and of course not folding. So horses for courses I guess. Peter

PS Rode about 20 miles across south Birmingham on my old Swytch style bike (fits more easily in my car), but solely missed the 'instant' power from standing which I get on the 500E and is also available legally on the Wisper (with the throttle).
By the way not convinced all the marked 'greenways' in south Birmingham actually exist ( or at least they are well hidden).
I’ll have a look at the bike later, thanks for the reply

I believe 806 is a good folder, but if off road is your thing I would convert your MTB with mid drive kit if I were you. Cost around £400-£600

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
I’ll take a look at conversion kits in threads later, I have seen a few advertised but, knowing so little about electric bike kits, I’ll have to have a good read of things that forum experts have written. Thanks for your reply

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
Thanks Jules, we’ve taken a lot of time to get the 806 to this stage, and the bike was recently awarded the Which Best Buy Award! Your report makes every minute spent on the bike and every tweak we’ve made over the last 8 years worth while.
Thanks again.

All the best, David
When my husband bought the bike the first thing that I noticed was, how beautifully made it was. From the satin paint ( he chose red, I’d choose satin black) to a good non rattle build.
It stands in the corner of the lounge and , like a pet, it gets taken out daily
I’m aiming to have another few goes on the bike and, we may end up with a matching pair!
Any plans in the future for front suspension forks?

• :D
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I’ll take a look at conversion kits in threads later, I have seen a few advertised but, knowing so little about electric bike kits, I’ll have to have a good read of things that forum experts have written. Thanks for your reply
Google Bafang BBS01B and Tongsheng TSDZ2.
It looks like you are already in love with certain bike, but folders are not really designed for off road. However if you don't plan any hard core, then just go for it and don't look back. Simply enjoy cycling.

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
Thanks again.

All the best, David
After todays ride I have a question.
We cycle a sustrans route next to a river which is tarmac and unmade road. So nothing difficult, my MTB is absolute overkill for the route but, it’s old and I love the bike.
Today as we cycled along the unmade road part, we could hear the battery rattling in its box. We didn’t notice the noise yesterday because the wind was blasting across the fields that the track separates.

Is this normal?

Anything to worry about?

Is the bike design such that this is no big deal or, do we have a faulty battery box?

Typical newbie questions I guess but, knowing very little about electric bikes I wanted to check.
Many thanks in advance

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
Google Bafang BBS01B and Tongsheng TSDZ2.
It looks like you are already in love with certain bike, but folders are not really designed for off road. However if you don't plan any hard core, then just go for it and don't look back. Simply enjoy cycling.
Thank you, I will take a look later
I do love the folding bike however, I also love the Giant Stance E❤❤❤ the £3.5k price tag scares me
I’ve just added an adjustable stem to my old Marin MTB and it fits like a dream so, a good quality kit would be of interest to me.
Thanks again for the information

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I also love the Giant Stance E❤❤❤ the £3.5k price tag scares me
Beautiful bike. 2022 is 2.8k. Still a lot of money...
Problem is initial high cost will be followed by very expensive spare parts (if you find any). That is why I prefer reliability and affordable prices offered by cheap generic Chinese systems.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
After todays ride I have a question.
We cycle a sustrans route next to a river which is tarmac and unmade road. So nothing difficult, my MTB is absolute overkill for the route but, it’s old and I love the bike.
Today as we cycled along the unmade road part, we could hear the battery rattling in its box. We didn’t notice the noise yesterday because the wind was blasting across the fields that the track separates.

Is this normal?

Anything to worry about?

Is the bike design such that this is no big deal or, do we have a faulty battery box?

Typical newbie questions I guess but, knowing very little about electric bikes I wanted to check.
Many thanks in advance
Don't let it rattle. Wedge a bit of foam rubber in there to keep it still, or bend something.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I had the same rattly battery problem, so I carefully stuck some spongy self-adhesive heat-resistant ceramic hob sealing tape I had left over, padding the battery case on the inside to hold the battery pack still. I took care to not get myself electrocuted or short my battery pack, by resting the battery pack on cardboard and using rubber gloves.

Last edited:

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Don't let it rattle. Wedge a bit of foam rubber in there to keep it still, or bend something.
Agreed, I can't stand a rattle or a squeak, or anything in between for that matter. I have a tiny clearance between the top of my battery case and the rear rack it slides into. I found a 4 inch length of electricians cable, flat twin core and earth, slides between the battery and rack taking up the slack nicely.

BikingJules

Sep 1, 2023
Agreed, I can't stand a rattle or a squeak, or anything in between for that matter. I have a tiny clearance between the top of my battery case and the rear rack it slides into. I found a 4 inch length of electricians cable, flat twin core and earth, slides between the battery and rack taking up the slack nicely.
Many thanks for your fast response to the post. I will take a look at the clearance on the battery tomorrow and I have a couple of lengths of marine ply cut like rulers. These were used as spacers for shelving. Fingers crossed this will stop the rattle. I can’t stand anything other than the feedback from the surface you’re riding on.
I’ll let you all know how I got on tomorrow.