Help! I zip fault starts up on switching on?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Iffy MOSFET out but no idea what spec it is or what the numbers mean on it? This one does seem to have continuity between all 3 legs?
This is what you need:-
Its the exact same number as your photo shows. IRF3205.
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That comes back as a hall effect sensor on ebay UK....
Is something missing?
Andy
You are right Andy, I wasn't thinking straight.

Ginettaman

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2020
Yes I found those but questioned the specs 110A 55v 200w as the other numbers printed on them are not the same? The supplier had no idea! I'll buy them and see I guess? Looks like P608k Y1 K2 but don't know what the numbers mean? I wondered if there were a selection of specs for the same shape and size mosfet?

Attachments

Ginettaman

May 3, 2020
Also can I ask about how the controller works? My twist throttle does not seem to have much in the way of speed control as it almost just on or off power wise? Should it have a number of incremental speeds from a slow start? The power did cut off once it reaches a speed possibly 15mph but what controls that? I changed the drive gearing a little bit but it's not great as it reduced torque naturally.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yes I found those but questioned the specs 110A 55v 200w as the other numbers printed on them are not the same? The supplier had no idea! I'll buy them and see I guess? Looks like P608k Y1 K2 but don't know what the numbers mean? I wondered if there were a selection of specs for the same shape and size mosfet?
You do take a very good and clear closeup, seldom see here. Thanks.
The top number is the generic type number.
The middle is the manufacturers own name (International Rectifier) and a number, which may be a date code on some products. It implies to me, year 2000, first week, line "K".
The bottom is most likely to be other infos, assembly lot code, for example.
See the last page on the Data sheet for further infos:-
Technically, they are generically all the same, when in the same package, in this case a TO-220AB package.
International Rectifier is a leading company making quality parts! You should not have any problems.
Do compare using an Ohm Meter, a new one with the damaged one, not forgetting to reverse the probes (polarity) and doing it again! Make notes for any future problems.
Do not buy just one, buy say 5, 4 as spares, as they are really cheap!!
regards
Andy
PS In the UK on ebay, for fast delivery, but cheaper in China!!:-

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Also can I ask about how the controller works? My twist throttle does not seem to have much in the way of speed control as it almost just on or off power wise? Should it have a number of incremental speeds from a slow start? The power did cut off once it reaches a speed possibly 15mph but what controls that? I changed the drive gearing a little bit but it's not great as it reduced torque naturally.
Maybe this will help:-
regards
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
So what governs the speed cutting off the power as I ride faster?
Usually there is a speed sensor with magnet on a spoke and sensor on the frame, like a traditional cycle computer/speedometer. This connects to the controller which reduces/cuts off power to the motor.

A lot of dongles work by fitting between the sensor and controller and halving the number of pulses that get through from the sensor to the controller. Another way of lying about speed is to alter wheel size so the controller computes speed wrong.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
So what governs the speed cutting off the power as I ride faster?
You have a great taste in cars if I believe your Avatar!
If you are really interested in learning more about your bike and how it operates, a basic course in power and electronics may assist you further, though its not as difficult to understand as so many believe!
If you are really interested, should I look around online for some training examples for you?
Your choice of course.
Andy

Ginettaman

May 3, 2020
Usually there is a speed sensor with magnet on a spoke and sensor on the frame, like a traditional cycle computer/speedometer. This connects to the controller which reduces/cuts off power to the motor.

A lot of dongles work by fitting between the sensor and controller and halving the number of pulses that get through from the sensor to the controller. Another way of lying about speed is to alter wheel size so the controller computes speed wrong.
I've not noticed any sensors but will check. I have noticed a pair of soldered bars on he controller and wondered if they set up a resistance?

Ginettaman

May 3, 2020
You have a great taste in cars if I believe your Avatar!
If you are really interested in learning more about your bike and how it operates, a basic course in power and electronics may assist you further, though its not as difficult to understand as so many believe!
If you are really interested, should I look around online for some training examples for you?
Your choice of course.
Andy
Yes I've run and restored 6 Ginetta's now plus various motorcycles so interested in all mechanical things. I got the bike to play with and learn from before I move on to something better and faster.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yes I've run and restored 6 Ginetta's now plus various motorcycles so interested in all mechanical things. I got the bike to play with and learn from before I move on to something better and faster.
Many years ago, I wanted a G15 with a hot Imp motor, but the RN pay at that time did not run to one, sadly!
Regards
Andy

Ginettaman

May 3, 2020
Yes restored a G15 but now a G4. Ebike is just a bit of fun but still waiting for the mosfets.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Yes restored a G15 but now a G4. Ebike is just a bit of fun but still waiting for the mosfets.
If you buy on ebay, as I mentioned before I believe, the cheap ones come slowly from the far east, the expensive ones from Europe...
Usually!
I have never noticed a quality difference.
Its still 90% that will be the fix.
On my controller, from my present bike, all the MOSFETs, no matter what they were used for, controlling or switching, were all exactly the same type, which may prove useful in the future if ever one blows!
Did you look on all of yours?
Andy