ideally 15kg e-bike for a 15m commute (total there and back) ideally under £800 in London

bela89

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2022
Hi all

starting new job in August and the office is based in victoria, london. i live near crystal palace triangle so will be riding down the steep gipsy hill (200-250ft or so elevation) but then once down, its pretty easy commute (7.5m each way).

if my company has a cycle to work scheme i am thinking of either a 16 or 20" estrali for ~£1.2k or if its significantly better a Mi Rider for ~£1.5k
BUT if it doesnt, i will probably look to lower my budget to around £600-800. ideally i want this to be as light weight as possible so that i could fold it, take it with me into office & keep it under desk OR have no issue lugging it on tube / bus in case of rain etc Would be great if battery could be removed so i could keep it inside the house during cold weather & if it had somewhere i could attach a child chair so i could cycle my toddler to nursery / primary school occasionally but this is not essential (

Fiido D2S / D4S appear to be recommended a lot - is this my best option? i think Ado is too fast vs legal limit in UK and ive read some bad reviews. googling ive found some other potentially cheap alternatives but presumably you get what you pay for.

Would love to hear some other names if im missing anything! not going to be doing any mountain biking or anything, apart from commuting maybe the occasional cycle in the park but thats about it. if it makes a difference im 5'10 and ~75kg

many thanks!!

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
ideally i want this to be as light weight as possible so that i could fold it, take it with me into office & keep it under desk OR have no issue lugging it on tube / bus in case of rain etc
Not a problem with a Brompton, but then the Brompton does fold fairly small. Not cheap unfortunatly, but worth it for its commuting ability.

Especially as when your in the station etc you can push a Brompton around like a shopping trolley.

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
Not a problem with a Brompton, but then the Brompton does fold fairly small. Not cheap unfortunatly, but worth it for its commuting ability.

Especially as when your in the station etc you can push a Brompton around like a shopping trolley.
no doubt, but unfortunately 3-4x more expensive than what i would like to spend, especially assuming no cycle to work scheme at work.

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
I think e-go bike lite is another seemingly affordable good brand option at 15kg for £899?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A good value option is https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta. Decent quality and excellent customer support.
A bit heavier than the mirider and won't fold as small.

Woosh has bigger capacity battery. When mirider says Large 7 ah Samsung battery they actually mean Smallish 7 ah Samsung battery. The Mirider battery does compare well with the cheap folders though.
I've never ridden either, so can't compare them for ride.

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
I've got a Mirider and it's really good, true range if you thrash it (level 3/5 all the time) is 15-20 miles.
Ridden more carefully it will exceed 30 miles.

Woosh Rambletta looks great and is £500 cheaper as well, but l haven't ridden one so can't comment any further than that.

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
Out of interest does anyone know if there are any online retailers who sell himo / fiido / ado with a cycle to work scheme?

Edit - to be more precise, one which doesn't mark up the price first. I've found one site so far that sells the z20 himo for 1039, which after cycle scheme would come up 100£ cheaper than buying direct but hardly a deal considering the additional complexities of the scheme....

lightning

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2022
It seems everyone has their own chain care plan!
l just use GT85 on mine and have found that the chain lasts 2-3 times as long as with regular chain oil, plus the drive train stays clean (before it would get covered in black gunge and needed the cassette dismantling to clean it)