Ideas for comfortable (+ reasonably priced!) saddle

Hovlev2

Pedelecer
Jul 24, 2020
Hi, can anyone recommend a comfortable saddle? I've just bought an Oxygen S-Cross MTB MkII, and find the saddle feels pretty hard, especially after a few miles. I'd like to find something which I can ride for several miles, and still be able to walk afterwards!
I'm 6'1"ish in height, and around 90 kilos in weight if that makes any difference

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I'm 6', and 100 kg with a dodgy back. After a great deal of experimenting, (frustrating and expensive!), I have found my ideal combo to be a Giant City Connect saddle on a Suntour NCX 12 suspension seatpost. Saddle is £20 and I got a new NCX 12 seat post off ebay for £52. Fantastic. The saddle is really comfortable and as wide as you can get without it becoming obvious. The NCX parallelogram seat post makes the whole experience like riding in an armchair, and is infinitely better than the simple spring type.

Reactions: Hovlev2

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Hi, can anyone recommend a comfortable saddle?
Really really hard (no pun intended ) for one person to recommend a comfortable saddle in the expectation that another person will feel the same way. I get serious numbness after riding with most saddles I've used .
People can recommend brands, (I happen to use an ISM for example, which still isn't perfect for me)
but what style of saddle , hard , soft, cut out , noseless, etc , that works for you depends on your individual physiology down below/how you sit/riding position etc
Usually trial and error, I'm afraid.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I agree - the only comfortable saddle is the one that suits you.
I punted £7.99 on a Medicus Gel from Lidl's. Who'd a thunk? It's the best saddle I've ever had.

Not a Wittkop Medicus memory foam saddle I hope?

I bought on of those and it messed up my knees.

Trek

Pedelecer
Jun 22, 2013
I just purchased this saddle cover, excellent makes original saddle far more easier, comfortable over longer distances.

5EF0F71A-4F5A-409A-846C-3DE82C4A9821.jpeg

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Rather than brands or even cost - think of it as trying different shapes and formats of saddles - more expensive isn't necessarily better and softer isn't necessarily better than hard , but once you know the shape that suits for comfort, you can invest in more pricey versions.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Not a Wittkop Medicus memory foam saddle I hope?

I bought on of those and it messed up my knees.
That's where you went wrong you don't kneel on them, they are for your bum.

• :D
Reactions: 01wellsd

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
That's where you went wrong you don't kneel on them, they are for your bum.
Ah, so that's what I did wrong! :D

No I think it was a case of never being able to set up the ride height properly, as the foam would sink down when riding and the shape of the saddle sagged so that I was then stuck in a less than optimal position.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
See - it's so individual. For me they're the right width for my 'sit bones' and the ventilation works a treat. I get little or no 'unfortunate area' tingling with this saddle.
I bought this saddle as a cheap try before buying a Brookes, never needed to.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For my town/commute bike I have a Charge saddle narrow and as hard as nails, ok for bumbling around on for short journeys but on long rides I find not comfy.
My normal ride/distance saddles are the Wiki lidl ones.

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
Another vote for the Lidl special. I’ve got one of those slimmer cut out ones on my normal bike, but that still requires padded shorts and probably still can’t get more than a couple of hours out before it starts to ache. The Lidl one went on my electric as it was due to be a commuter, so I wanted something that I could use in jeans and trousers for work. It’s so comfy. Was out Saturday and Sunday on it for 2-3 hours each time, no padded shorts and it’s like I’ve just been sitting on my sofa!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A good saddle is one you ride for at least 6 -8 hrs with relative ease, but as mentioned saddles & comfort are a very personnel thing.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
A Lidl Crivit Air Cushioned Saddle in conjunction with a Promax adjustable Seat Post is a good combination . The Lidl Saddle has an air bladder that pumps from soft to hard and it is wide . The Promax has and internal screw adjustment using an Allen Key . The Saddle was £7.99 and the Promax in black on Ebay was £15 .