If the UK government were serious about climate change

hezzey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2009
If the UK government were serious about climate change, and lowering are CO2 emissions why don’t they scrap VAT on all cycles, and cycle clothing, to help make biking more affordable, and make a real effort with more cycle lanes throughout the country, I know about the cycle to work scheme but how many people really use it, my boss could not be bothered with it when I told him, it make sense to me if we can get more people on bikes, increasing their fitness level, there will be less heart attacks, stroke victims, and diabetes sufferers ,the country would actually save money, does this make sense or am I living in cloud cuckoo land, to think the government really care?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The way it is set up is to only give tax breaks for those starting cycling, anyone committed to it gets nothing.
My employer can't be bothered either, why did they need to introduce a scheme where I'm at the mercy of the HR dept?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
..living in cloud cuckoo land, to think the government really care?
I think you have hit the nail on the head. This is a car society, with almost every piece of legislation and planning targetting car drivers first.

I know things are changing/have changed in London, but where I am theres little to shout about, thats why I use 2 mirrors, wear a reflective yellow bib and have a rear red led flashing away behind me on every journey. :(

John

stranger

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2009
New Forest. Hants.
No government is serious about climate change and the environment. Unless they can find a way to engender revenue from it.

It's all just a con anyway.

The climate has been changing for the last umpteen billion years, long before any of us were around to either cause it or do anything about it.

hezzey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 13, 2009
No government is serious about climate change and the environment. Unless they can find a way to engender revenue from it.

It's all just a con anyway.

I have to agree with you,they were very fast to stick a £40 tax on long hall flights to save the environment, I would like to no what they do with that money, probably going on MPs living allowance no doubt