If you hate ebikers and e bikes don't look at this .

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Its horses for courses. Any body using eroad bike is going be cruising well above 25km/h level. The assist just means they don't fall below 25km/h on slight inclines and headwinds, or dread hills. If I was into road riding I can see the appeal.

After try my wife step though I can see appeal of these for all day cruising but they don't inspire confidence on long steep descents. Where I would fly down hills at 50km/h on MTB, I'd do same descent at 35km/h or less on wife's bike, riding brakes alot of way.

Touring ebikes are probably best compromise between comfort, speed and handling. Can ride in comfort above 25km/hr on flat while still flying down hills.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would have thought that for most people a hybrid type bike would be much more versatile. Derestricted 0r as an S-pedelec, that bike makes more sense, though I'd want it lighter and with a hub-motor, which I think would suit it much more than the tractor engine in it,
That's assuming that "most People" actually make sensible purchasing decisions...

D

Deleted member 4366

That's assuming that "most People" actually make sensible purchasing decisions...
Yes, I was trying to be pragmatic.

I do ride road bikes and all sorts of electric bikes regularly. I use the road bike for exercise and the joy of hard cycling, and my electric bike for shopping and general convenience, especially when I don't want hard exercise. Everything around Telford is hills, so you can't get an easy relaxing ride on a non-powered bike like you can in say Essex.

You can still use an electric bike for exercise, but a non-electric road bike is more saisfying and makes you try harder.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As a young man I used to ride drop bars and even now I think there are lots of places I would be able to ride an e-road bike over the 25 km/h cut off despite the weight difference. The position is aerodynamically better than a flat bar bike but at my age I doubt my back and neck would let me ride more than 25 km without pain. What I do like about drop bars is the huge variety of hand positions available.

Now that I have tasted balloon tyres there is no going back to skinny race tyres though...

Rich_uk

Pedelecer
Feb 3, 2018
West Midlands
Its horses for courses. Any body using eroad bike is going be cruising well above 25km/h level. The assist just means they don't fall below 25km/h on slight inclines and headwinds, or dread hills. If I was into road riding I can see the appeal.

After try my wife step though I can see appeal of these for all day cruising but they don't inspire confidence on long steep descents. Where I would fly down hills at 50km/h on MTB, I'd do same descent at 35km/h or less on wife's bike, riding brakes alot of way.

Touring ebikes are probably best compromise between comfort, speed and handling. Can ride in comfort above 25km/hr on flat while still flying down hills.

Reactions: rexel1