If you voted IN then here's a second chance for common sense

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Generally speaking, enshrined in much case law, statute and international treaty, any legal motion which effects constitutional change must generally seek to attain a 2/3 majority (please note- as a very very loose guide) to pass. The most relevant comparisons we could make here is when other Commonwealth nations (India, Australia, etc) have voted in the past to amend constitution they have required a supermajority to make constitutional changes. 2/3rd majority is one such common standard- as those voting 'for' are twice as big as those 'against'.
The late Quintin Hogg, who was Lord Hailsham and one of our finest legal minds, maintained in the same vein that any law which was not supported by 80% of the people was bad law.

Mar 9, 2016
We can pontificate all we want but it wont change a thing.
EU are waiting for article 50 to be initiated. In mean time Cameron and Hill have both resigned.( Hill with immediate effect) We have little if any representation in EU, but cant start new arrangements. We are in limbo which is damaging economy more than brexit. If mp,s don't ratify art 50, bo doubt an immediate election will be called.
Had mp,s not been instructed to ratify art 50 , Cameron and Hill would not have resigned. The longer this not in and not out goes on the more damage will be done. Cameron and Mp,s know this. We are leaving..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EU are waiting for article 50 to be initiated. In mean time Cameron and Hill have both resigned.( Hill with immediate effect) We have little if any representation in EU, but cant start new arrangements. We are in limbo which is damaging economy more than brexit. If mp,s don't ratify art 50, bo doubt an immediate election will be called.
Had mp,s not been instructed to ratify art 50 , Cameron and Hill would not have resigned. The longer this not in and not out goes on the more damage will be done. Cameron and Mp,s know this. We are leaving..
I agree Flud, we are going to leave and the sooner the process starts, the better.

But I see an outcome that is going to leave everyone unhappy.

The great majority of those in power are in favour of Remain, and I can't see a general election materially changing that. Therefore the negotiations are likely to be along the lines of an accord with the EU that suits trading and current political interests but concedes freedom of movement and broad acceptance of EU law in return. The backtracking we've heard already points that way.

Remainers will hate the fact of the exit while Brexiters will equally hate the concessions, so no-one suited.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
When have MP's been instructed to ratify anything? It's just an opinion poll.

• Agree
Reactions: damian and trex
Mar 9, 2016
Nope I,m fairly sure it was a referendum, but as I said earlier, time will tell.
If prime ministers announced resignations after opinion polls we,d have new ones every 6 months. Perhaps many wish it were an opinion poll.
I,ll tell you this as well, the murmurs we,ve seen from the whining stayers will pale into insignificance if your " opinion poll" is ignored.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there are voices from Brexit camp to go for Lichtenstein model.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there are voices from Brexit camp to go for Lichtenstein model.
Strange choice if so, it does mean a reduction in the EU laws that apply, but includes Shengen's full freedom of movement.

I can't see Brexit voters being too happy with that.

However, I can't see the EU buying the idea of a mini-state agreement applying to the UK.

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I,ll tell you this as well, the murmurs we,ve seen from the whining stayers will pale into insignificance if your " opinion poll" is ignored.
I wouldn't moan if the advice for this referendum had have been informative rather than based on a pack of lies and speculation sold as truth. I wouldn't moan if 16 year olds and up were allowed to vote. Just imagine being 16. Old enough to marry but not old enough to have an opinion on the future of their country? I'd be rightlfull peed off.

The whole thing is unbelievable and following through with it would be unbelievable as well.

The real Jewel in the crown of this farce is the fact that it sounds like the Uk is now under serious threat. The united alliance we have now is going to be gone in a time of great international uncertainty. That's just plain dumb and look no further than the gullible English for buying in to all the fear and racist rallying for the reason for this mess we're now in.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: mike killay
Nope I,m fairly sure it was a referendum, but as I said earlier, time will tell.
If prime ministers announced resignations after opinion polls we,d have new ones every 6 months. Perhaps many wish it were an opinion poll.
classic logic from the "leave" side that has been demonstrated right thoughout this campain.

The statement about it being essentially an opinion pole isn't an opinion, its a constitutional fact.

"One possibility being floated by some pro-E.U. campaigners is a vote in the House of Commons against invoking Article 50. During the weekend, a number of constitutional experts pointed out that, under the British system, sovereignty rests in Parliament, and so the Leave vote was purely advisory. “MPs are entitled to vote against it, and are bound to vote against it, if they think it’s in Britain’s best interest,” Geoffrey Robertson, a prominent British barrister, told the Independent. “It’s not over yet.”

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/why-brexit-might-not-happen-at-all

You might want the government to be bound by the result, but I'm afraid you can't change the facts. They don't have to.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
classic logic from the "leave" side that has been demonstrated right thoughout this campain.

The statement about it being essentially an opinion pole isn't an opinion, its a constitutional fact.

"One possibility being floated by some pro-E.U. campaigners is a vote in the House of Commons against invoking Article 50. During the weekend, a number of constitutional experts pointed out that, under the British system, sovereignty rests in Parliament, and so the Leave vote was purely advisory. “MPs are entitled to vote against it, and are bound to vote against it, if they think it’s in Britain’s best interest,” Geoffrey Robertson, a prominent British barrister, told the Independent. “It’s not over yet.”

You might want the government to be bound by the result, but I'm afraid you can't change the facts. They don't have to.
Surely they'd never renege on an election pledge?

The pledge was to have a referendum on it... which they have done. They also pledged to honour the result... but if you read though the manifesto, (which I did the other day because I was stuck in Munich airport for 8 hours with wifi and not much else).... if they do stick to the pledge they will be undoing about about another 100+ pledges in the same manifesto.

We all know manifesto's aren't legally binding.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

It was more than an opinion pole. I suppose that the phrase "opinion pole" was used as an instrument intended to mitigate the consequences of last Thursday's referendum decision. Done in order to satisfy the personal undemocratic and possible cheating nature of some remain supporters.

A referendum is a general vote by the electorate on a single political question which has been referred to them for a direct decision. The decision has been taken and that decision was to leave the EU.

Mar 9, 2016
so now you're arguing with constitutional lawyers?
Well you stayers have been arguing with Mark Carney, Mervyn King, Woodruff and nearly every stock broker including probably biggest Hargreaves Lansdown since start.

Also, as I,ve said twice already which for some odd reason you,ve taken exception to, time will tell.( that's even what war mongrel Blair is saying)
Which brings me nicely to.. You,d have thought country had learned anything Blair agrees with, supports must be corrupt and packed full of lies.
My bet is still ...Cameron replaced fairly quickly, article 50 initiated. Negotiations take place. We leave. Can you imagine just how stupid whole country would look if we now said well actually eu, Cameron and Hill resigned for nothing, can we stay please??? Oh it wasn't a nationwide referendum asking people what to do, just a pesky opinion poll we can ignore, look this bloke a constitutional lawyer you know, says we can. ( wonder who his political affiliations are with)

Last edited:
as you say, time will tell..... so far everything the leave campaign has promised has already unraveled, and we're only on the 3rd working day since the result.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36641390?SThisFB

Of course nothing else of their plans (bearing in mind there was no plan) will be found to be nonsense will it?

They clearly didn't want or plan to win this.

Boris, will find a way to being PM, and then slowly back track from the red button.

Did you realise a few other countries have had referendums that the governments have organised and then made their own mind up?

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Well actually they didn't on this occasion. They did the usual thing of waving a carrot, in the shape of the referendum on the EU as part of a package that would entice the people in to voting for their party. That was one of the few election pledges (and the stupidest) that they followed through on.

Last edited:

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
[QUOTE="Flud, post: 313694, member: 15675".Cameron replaced fairly quickly, article 50 initiated. Negotiations take place. We leave. Can you imagine just how stupid whole country would look if we now said well actually eu, Cameron and Hill resigned for nothing, can we stay please??? Oh it wasn't a nationwide referendum asking people what to do, just a pesky opinion poll we can ignore, look this bloke a constitutional lawyer you know, says we can. ( wonder who his political affiliations are with)[/QUOTE]

I can think of nothing better than to refer to the whole thing as a farce to the EU council. I doubt for a second the EU think the English majority are nothing more than a gullible short term reactionary voter and were consequently easily duped. Although they are pissed about this, they would rather we stay and I truly believe that the populous would have voted to stay if they weren't so willing to be brainwashed by one half of the hard right wing nationalists as well as the subservient press.

Again. At this stage our referendum is an advisory and should remain as that until some common sense comes in to play.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles
Mar 9, 2016
[QUOTE="Flud, post: 313694, member: 15675".Cameron replaced fairly quickly, article 50 initiated. Negotiations take place. We leave. Can you imagine just how stupid whole country would look if we now said well actually eu, Cameron and Hill resigned for nothing, can we stay please??? Oh it wasn't a nationwide referendum asking people what to do, just a pesky opinion poll we can ignore, look this bloke a constitutional lawyer you know, says we can. ( wonder who his political affiliations are with)
I can think of nothing better than to refer to the whole thing as a farce to the EU council. I doubt for a second the EU think the English majority are nothing more than a gullible short term reactionary voter and were consequently easily duped. Although they are pissed about this, they would rather we stay and I truly believe that the populous would have voted to stay if they weren't so willing to be brainwashed by one half of the hard right wing nationalists as well as the subservient press.

Again. At this stage our referendum is an advisory and should remain as that until some common sense comes in to play.[/QUOTE]

Well as normal stayers arguments revolve around insulting stayers motives and reasoning behind their decisions.
To be honest I,m a bit sick of it,( not just from you)
You have not got a clue process I went through or my reasoning behind voting leave. Its exactly why both tho thread and the whole process has been so confrontational. I,ve been called a racist, had it implied on here, which if you met me you,d know is completely ridiculous.
Your reasoning, as mentioned earlier, degrades not just leavers but also opinions of all folk listed in earlier post,.

Assuming 52% of voters are reactionary and gullible is derisory at best. I suspect you could be correct for some sections of both sides of argument but to assume for all one side is also bigoted. You are missing the point.. Hargreaves Lansdown are the biggest UK Stock Broker and stand or fall on succes of uk economy. They handle billions and billions..Their owner is a leave voter ! By your argument he,s gullible but presumably you are not.
Sorry but your stand point is pathetic.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
so now you're arguing with constitutional lawyers?
The Oxford dictionary definition of a referendum is as follows:

A general vote by the electorate on a single political question which has been referred to them for a direct decision.

Having to witness you wriggling, squirming and focussing on all the negative aspects would be funny were it not so pathetic. It reminds me of a child playing a board game who is trying to make up new rules when they are losing.

Why can't you accept that a referendum (see definition above again) was held last week and the direct decision taken by the people of this country is that we are leaving the EU?

Advertisers