Them: "That's cheating!"
Me: ".... and?"
or
Me: ".... your point being?"

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I usually reply; “I need help, dodgy ticker” or “I need help, knackered knees” (which are both true) - followed by a grin or smile.
I think it helps deflect their thoughts away from the macho; "I want to be first crap".
It usually stuns them into silence or they start up a conversation about the bike.

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
I got called what sounded like a "fakkin ole can" in Ikea recently because I was a microsecond slow getting my trolley out of someone's way. I was so surprised that I laughed out loud, and the perpetrator departed quickly with his girfriend berating him loudly. (I know that's not a cycling incident, but it's vaguely relevant.)
I have thought of getting a T-shirt with "FOC" on it, and living up to the appellation from now on.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
But I think slowing down and giving a "friendly" nod to somebody that's struggling up a hill could be misinterpreted too. After all, people on mopeds don't slow down and give cyclists a nod.

When overtaking it may be best we just keep on going and be careful not to look like we're showing off. But I know, it's definitely a little awkward riding past a cyclist. I think this is because we just know they're going to be looking at the back of us with thoughts like "Ugh?" "What just happened?" "Where did he come from?" :)

Maybe when ebikes are more common then being overtaken by an ebike wont be such a shock.

I was thinking along the same lines today on a long and boring motorway journey. The key is this "cheating" thing.
To be called a cheat in this case means that someone thinks that you're probably engaged in competition with them and not disclosing that you have an unfair advantage - aka an electric motor.
Competitive Lycra man does not consider a car or motorbike to be in competition with him because they're members of a different "race" and can't compete. However the ebike may be seen as competitive because it looks like another bike. Being overtaken thus damages the fragile ego of lycra man and questions the riders physical prowess since his own road bike is obviously so much better and faster than an MTB with 26" wheels. fat tyres and a heap of other clutter.
Thus when the truth dawns, and he spots the battery or motor, you get accused of cheating rather than the idiotic twit realising it's not a competition!
The message for me is don't acknowledge the existance of lycra clad road bikers any more than you would a car or a motorbike - just overtake them on the hills if you can and ignore happy in the knowledge they may have mistaken you for a normal bike.:D

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
"That's cheating"
"Have you ever seen a pro cyclist who doesn't cheat?"
Thats a point. I heard that during the Tour de France half of the population of Columbia went on holiday....;) .
Perhaps he'd been overdoing it......

Steroids are also notoriously bad for your temper control.

Whatever, I'm over it now. Next time (and I'm sure there will be one) I'll sail on by and just leave it go....or perhaps I might start wearing earplugs :) .

If I see him in summer, I reckon I could have have him on my hybrid.......that would be satisfying...:D

Phil

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
That takes far too long, after someone I pass says "That's cheating" I have about 1.5 seconds before I'm too far away to be heard. I think I'll just have to adopt the simple and easily understood rasberry. :p
Yes your probably right. A snappier one might be: ''Well if it is you ought to try it, you might like it''

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I don't say anything to cyclists that I pass on my commute because some of them can take it the wrong way, especially if they are having a hard time climbing a hill or going in to the wind.

Recently I passed a younger bloke on a steep hill and when I got on the level he pulled alongside, sweating heavily and very much out of breath, but managed to ask me if my bike was electric. He asked a couple of other questions then eased off never to be seen again. He wasn't antagonistic at all but obviously wanted an explanation as to why a 61 year old had sailed past him on the hill.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have re read this thread and now fink, giving some one a jolly up while passing can easily be misconstrued as taking the pi** .......So probably best avoided.:rolleyes:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I wonder what the vote would be for the best put down for ''that's cheating.'' Perhaps we all ought to adopt the best one as a standard reply.
To their comment of ''TC'', mine would be something like: ''Explain why'', they would then say, ''Well it's got a battery and a motor'', to which I might say, ''a motor cycle has got an engine, would that be cheating''?
My reply is normally, "..at what?"

John

malfos

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 29, 2013
I find it very hard not to overtake lycra clad types on my Kalkhoff Agattu Impulse and have had a few " Cheating" accusations. They really can't stand it when a 64 yr old, 17 stone, bloke on a big upright framed bike,heavily laden with panniers,passes them uphill. Even better,I managed to pass 3 of them together the other week and one of them asked me to "slow down , you're making us look bad".
I am trying not to do it though, because they chase me down hill, and along the flat, and will invariably pass me due to my bikes low gearing.
My response to the cheating jibe, is " Not as much as on my 750cc Kawasaki" which gets a smile. Another response I use is " They can't touch you for it". Some have been friendly but passing most lycra clads, uphill, gets up their nose - I must really stop doing it!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've tried to justify myself after receiving snide comments but as already mentioned, there's just not enough time.
Recently after being told "that's cheating" I've taken to responding with, And Loving it.
Its usually enough to rase a smile.
Strangely, I was really peed off by the cheating comment coming out of the blue from a horse rider, there normally quite pleasant & chatty ;)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
:DMy big smile yesterday was passing a moped. There is a flyover I can top at 20 then accelerate down . Was doing over 40 past a lass on a hair drier.
She passed me after the lights on a hill soon after though.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Yesterday as I rode up my first long hill (3.5 mile 650' climb on a narrow lane) on my way home from work I passed a cyclist on a road bike about halfway up the hill. I have only seen him once before (over a year ago). The route is one I use twice daily, at regular times, so I'm guessing he's unlikely to be a regular commuter - which may be lucky for him - read on......
As I came up to overtake him, I slowed down and gave him a friendly nod and greeting. At first it was responded to with a smile, but then as he realised I was on an ebike his mood changed. 'You're cheating' he yelled followed by a succession of comments such as 'w**ker, cheating, lousy ba**ard' and a few other riper ones I won't bother with here. I couldn't believe I was hearing it. I had the sudden urge to stop the bike and deck the miserable sod, but by an effort of supreme will power managed to just turn my back on him and cycle on. I reckon he was at least 20yrs younger than me, but ironically judging by his pace up the hill on his road bike, I could still have trounced him on my non-electric hybrid, so I think his bluster was a triumph of style over substance. Whatever, if I had passed him on my motorbike, or in a people carrier, Land Rover etc. it would not have drawn such an attack of verbal abuse. It was totally inexcusable. I have encountered this sort of thing before, but never so severe or in response to an attempt at being friendly and conciliatory.
What is up with these 'lycra snobs?' - some of the most offensive people on the planet. They do the environmental lobby the sort of favours Pol Pot, Stalin and Mao's wife did for communism.
All I can say is if he does it again, I'll do the time for my actions and smile all the way through it :D .

Phil
here's a strange strategy that works for me - look rough, when I look particularly rough (I mean half a beard boots and hangover rough with the desolate air of a recent divorcee) I don't get any abuse at all, whereas when I look chuffed and happy its quite the opposite

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had quite a bizzare and very negative response from two road riders last weekend.
I had been out getting muddy as usual, but when I stopped for a cafe stop, I happened to bump into my cousin who was out on his road bike.
I opted to cycle the ten miles back home with him on the road, and along the way came across two road riders, one of which was sitting on the ground.
I was out in front, and stopped to see if they needed help. They both blanked me, and asked my cousin what he was doing out with someone from the dark side, whatever that is supposed to mean!
They continued to ignore me, and explained that to my cousin that the rider on the ground had broken a cleat from his shoe.
My pedals are both flat and clipless, and knowing that I had a spare set of cleats at home, I offered to remove one of my cleats and let him have it. Quite incredibly, and without even bothering to look up, the guy who didn't have the broken cleat, said that they would tape it up somehow. They didn't even have the courtesy to say thank you for the offer.
At that point, I just thought f**k you, and set off on my way, with my cousin following up behind saying what a couple of miserable tw*ts that they were.

Last edited:

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
That's a real shame.
I have to say my only negative responses have been from Lycra clad roadies though I'm not saying they are all like that.
I once cycled the last four miles home alongside a Lycra clad road rider who had stopped to see if I needed help though I was only adjusting my front brake. Such a nice guy that he got tea and cake from my wife to help him on his way.

Dave.

Reactions: TinKitten

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I had quite a bizzare and very negative response from two road riders last weekend.
I had been out getting muddy as usual, but when I stopped for a cafe stop, I happened to bump into my cousin who was out on his road bike.
I opted to cycle the ten miles back home with him on the road, and along the way came across two road riders, one of which was sitting on the ground.
I was out in front, and stopped to see if they needed help. They both blanked me, and asked my cousin what he was doing out with someone from the dark side, whatever that is supposed to mean!
They continued to ignore me, and explained that to my cousin that the rider on the ground had broken a cleat from his shoe.
My pedals are both flat and clipless, and knowing that I had a spare set of cleats at home, I offered to remove one of my cleats and let him have it. Quite incredibly, and without even bothering to look up, the guy who didn't have the broken cleat, said that they would tape it up somehow. They didn't even have the courtesy to say thank you for the offer.
At that point, I just thought f**k you, and set off on my way, with my cousin following up behind saying what a couple of miserable tw*ts that they were.
at risk of saying the obvious, I think they were taking their bad day out on you, I see a lot of that somehow in dear old blightey - sad middleclass, often middle-aged souls, seethingly frustrated by the way nothing seems to be going the way it goes in American sitcoms, blearily eyeing everyone as if they are indeed from the dark side

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've stopped thinking of lycra's as fello cyclists a long time ago, the best I can do is regard them as just more road users !
I don't even think there quite the same species anymore, still human but with the humanity removed :(

Reactions: EddiePJ