I'm on my 3rd electric bike and my latest Freego Eagle is the best by far

Kevin Wilkins

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2015
Now in my 70s, I'm on my third electric bike and they are great

My wife and I absolutely love the freedom they give us and go out for hours on end which wouldn't be possible on a normal push bike

Having previously owned a Wisper and a Volt, I decided to take my time before investing in my latest one, a Freego Eagle and I have to say, I definitely saved the best for last, not only because of the bike itself, but the whole service I received prior to buying it

I did my research and in the first instance, I downloaded Freego's fantastic guide which even though I've had two previously, taught me things I had no idea about and made me to look a bit deeper into which was going to be the best option for me

I did that from their website freegoelectricbikes.com

Then, when I was ready to go and have a test drive, my local Freego stockist 3 Peak Cycles couldn't have been more helpful, advising me on all the benefits of a Freego, but also being very honest and sharing his opinion in comparison to other brands he had avaiulable

I went for the bike in grey because I thought it looked great, plus that was the one they had in stock and I wanterd to take it away with me once I'd bought it

I also went for the 16amp version instead of the 10amp purely because their fantastic 0% finance option meant the difference between the two bikes was just over £8 a month

The entire process from start to finish has been exceptional and I cannot speak highly enough of Freego and my local agent

They clearly are a well oiled machine, not only in respect of their bikes, but everything that goes with it, both prior to purchase and after

If you're looking for a great bike along with a great buying experience, I'd definitely suggest you consider a Freego

Kevin Wilkins

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
You sound just like I felt when I got my Juicy Classic recently! The word is 'enthused' I think.:D

In fact the Eagle step through looks very similar to the Juicy Classic in a lot of ways, especially with it's swan neck frame. Did you get the cross bar version or have you gone dutch and bought the step through?

You should get a good range with the 16ah battery.

How come you have got a new bike and your wife appears not to have done? That simply wouldn't be allowed in our household!:p

Hope you enjoy your new toy!

Kevin Wilkins

Dec 14, 2015
You sound just like I felt when I got my Juicy Classic recently! The word is 'enthused' I think.:D

In fact the Eagle step through looks very similar to the Juicy Classic in a lot of ways, especially with it's swan neck frame. Did you get the cross bar version or have you gone dutch and bought the step through?

You should get a good range with the 16ah battery.

How come you have got a new bike and your wife appears not to have done? That simply wouldn't be allowed in our household!:p

Hope you enjoy your new toy!
Hi there Lancslass

I am definitely enthused and in answer to your question, I got the crossbar version

You also asked about my wife, and although I didn't say, she also got a new Freego Eagle but she got the stepthrough frame as she felt it was a bit more girly, even though she's almost as old as me at the ripe old age of 68

We cannot wait to get out on them again, as long as the weather stays dry because we're definitly not all weather bikers

Hope you enjoy your new bike too

All the best

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Hi there Lancslass

I am definitely enthused and in answer to your question, I got the crossbar version

You also asked about my wife, and although I didn't say, she also got a new Freego Eagle but she got the stepthrough frame as she felt it was a bit more girly, even though she's almost as old as me at the ripe old age of 68

We cannot wait to get out on them again, as long as the weather stays dry because we're definitly not all weather bikers

Hope you enjoy your new bike too

All the best
My husband has a crossbar. The reason I got the step through rather than the crossbar is because at 60 yr old I find I can't.... er erm ... get my leg over as I used to! :eek: I also like the look of the dutch style but each to our own of course.

We are also fair weather riders but I'm glad to say we have managed to get out on the bikes both today and yesterday. The bikes made delivering Christmas cards far more enjoyable than previously!

Kevin Wilkins

Dec 14, 2015
Hi, my Daughter sold the old bikes on Gumtree because it seems no electric bike company want them in part exchange

In respect of the specs, they weren't the top priority for us. Like I said, we looked at the whole package and Freego offer a 2 year warranty and a unique 5 day promise on replacement and all those extras, along with the fantastic service we received, suggests we made a great decision

We also have friends we often go out with and they've had Freego's for years, I believe they've got the Hawks and when we told them we were considering new ones, they highly recommended Freego which gave me great confidence that we were making the right decision

Kevin Wilkins

Dec 14, 2015
My husband has a crossbar. The reason I got the step through rather than the crossbar is because at 60 yr old I find I can't.... er erm ... get my leg over as I used to! :eek: I also like the look of the dutch style but each to our own of course.

We are also fair weather riders but I'm glad to say we have managed to get out on the bikes both today and yesterday. The bikes made delivering Christmas cards far more enjoyable than previously!
I know exactly what you're saying and it seems you love your bikes as much as we do

Happy riding!

Kevin Wilkins

Dec 14, 2015
How weather proof are ebikes?
I don't know to be honest because we are not all weather bikers so only go out when we know it's going to stay dry

Call Freego's head office because we spoke to two people there on several occasions, from memory, I think their names were Teresa and Richard and both of them were extremely helpful and what I liked more than anything, is that they weren't pushy in any way

Hope that helps

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
I suspect Kevin is like me, he rides for leisure purposes only, happy to just be able to get out on the road, probably not anxious to go all that fast. There is no reason under those circumstances that mechanical disc brakes won't do the job that he wants.

Each to their own, we don't all need all the bells and whistles that other riders might need.:)

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I have hydraulic discs, mechanical disc brakes and quality V brakes, different bikes of course.
I find mechanical disc brakes if kept properly adjusted are pretty near as good as hydraulic, certainly better than my V brakes for the riding that I do as they don't wear the rims and still stop the bike when wet.
Dave.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
I have a freego Eagle and have found it to be a good reliable bike and more than suitable for the type of riding I do, which is mainly flattish trails (old railway lines). However on the odd occasion that I have ridden a more hilly route it does struggle a little bit. It is 17ah battery and coming up to 4yrs old now, and I have never had any real problems other than has been said the mechanical discs can be a bit fiddly to keep adjusted, but are perfectly adequate for me. I am quite happy to trundle along at 12 to 15mph. Don't really see the point of rushing about. I do find it to be heavy at the back end, and when I recently tried a Raleigh Motus which on paper is a similar weight it felt lighter and better balanced. All in all I have been pleased with the Freego, probably not the most exciting bike out there but as Lancslass says everybody has different needs

Reactions: Lancslass

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
I have mechanical discs on my converted Carrera. The front is a 180mm and, last time out, surprised me by pulling a stoppy, despite the 15Ah battery on the back rack. That'll do me mate;)

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
The Halfords website is wrong, the Freego Eagle does have Hydraulic brakes front and rear, if you go to the Freego website you will see the correct spec, www.freegoelectricbikes.com not sure how important hydraulic brakes are for most of us in truth but the Eagle is indeed a lovely bike with great brakes, superb spec and a very quiet motor, my partner has a blue stepthrough.
I think this highlights the issue of buying eBikes online, these sites are often run by box shifters rather than dealers who take a real interest in what they are selling and it sounds as though the OP found a really good dealer.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
The Halfords website is wrong, the Freego Eagle does have Hydraulic brakes front and rear, if you go to the Freego website you will see the correct spec, www.freegoelectricbikes.com not sure how important hydraulic brakes are for most of us in truth but the Eagle is indeed a lovely bike with great brakes, superb spec and a very quiet motor, my partner has a blue stepthrough.
I think this highlights the issue of buying eBikes online, these sites are often run by box shifters rather than dealers who take a real interest in what they are selling and it sounds as though the OP found a really good dealer.
It's good that the Freego has hydraulics but I don't think it's necessary for a lot of us who don't ride in bad weather or over mountains! Mechanical disk brakes are fine for a lot of fair weather leisure riders. My mechanicals are not bedded in properly yet but they are still fine for the job they need to do.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
30 ish years ago when I was younger and much fitter I used to ride hard and fast, mainly off road and on bikes that although they were good for their day were of a quality which was far inferior to bikes available these days.
I think it's best to buy the best bike you can get within your budget, keep it well maintained, then enjoy it without thinking about better components you maybe could have had.
The fun is in the riding and almost any bike you buy these days will be superior to anything I had when I was in my 30's/40's.
As Lancslass says, we don't all need the top spec available.
Dave