I'm struggling

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
I have now had my KTM e-cross P for 4 weeks and done around 80 miles.

I am enjoing the bike immensely and havent touched my 'old' Scott which is sitting in the corner of the garage looking very sorry for itself... The KTM fits like a glove and apart from the fact the forks are too soft for my weight, I am now finding it too slow and there appears to be no options to use it in offroad mode like there are for other bikes running various motors.

I average around 18mph so I'm always just outside the useful power. I find just a tad more would make the bike hugely more satisfying and I've read a lot of similar post about this.

Maybe I should've bit the bullet and ordered online for something that provides the flexibility of more speed - dongles or off road switches as I do get to use it off the highways but having a superb dealer just around the corner was a huge advantage to me and tipped the balance in favour of this.

What have others done in similar circumstances? I'm loathe to sell it and buy something else as I'd lose a packet and would be compromising on quality and the flexibility of gears and touring capability along with enough off road to keep me happy. As I have 27 gears, I doubt I can change anything here as already have 3 forward sprockets.

If I was looking to spend such a serious wad again, I'd probably look further into how flexible the bike could be in terms of changing speed output and ability to modify components that aren't the best for everyone. However thats me - I love to tinker.

As brilliant as the ktm is, and how powerful the motor is, I can't do anything with it. And thats not saying anything negative about the KTM at all. For anyone who would be happy with the standard package and with no possbility to modify its output, this is a seriously good bike and I believe one of the best on the market. I've seen reviews saying the crank drive system (ie Bosch) is stronger on hills, but in the short side by side comparison I did, the panasonic hub drive was stronger and maintained a higher speed consistently to the top of the hills. The Bosch systems speed dropped all the way to the top. In subsequent hilly rides the e-cross has just fired its arse up the hill without choking. It really is that good. Battery is strong too and 50 miles eco/standard and occassional high is possible.

No lectures please about the law. All cars are capable of breaking the speed limit and everyone does each time they get in the car...:)

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Mmmm - love it, but.:( I feel your pain. If I were to upgrade from my cyclotricity kitted bike, the e-cross P would be my bike of choice. It will be interesting to hear if there is a way to tweak the settings.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
how about converting the old Scott with a BPM CST or BBS02 kit?

Reactions: bonerp

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Can't you put the gears on "high" and go faster with it?

D

Deleted member 4366

Every system can be hacked. Some are a bit more tricky.

I haven't had a KTM to have a look at, but it has to get a speed signal from somewhere. Some bikes have an external speed sensor, some have a separate magnet and hall sensor inside the hub, and some use one of the motor's timing hall sensors. You have to find that speed signal, intercept it and send a different signal.

Alternatively, sure as eggs are eggs, the speed limit is a simple software setting. You need to find someone that has the programming device, buy him/her a few beers, and get them to change your setting.

Some bikes store all their settings on a SD card in the display. If you had such a system you could find a friendly guy in USA, where there's a higher speed limit, and get him to clone his SD card and send you a copy.

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Every system can be hacked. Some are a bit more tricky.

Some bikes store all their settings on a SD card in the display. If you had such a system you could find a friendly guy in USA, where there's a higher speed limit, and get him to clone his SD card and send you a copy.
thanks - do you know which US forums are active for e bikes d8veh?

Dubster

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2012
North Yorkshire
I had the same problem with my previous bike. I really enjoyed the Giant, it was actually more comfortable than the replacement Kalkhoff and the rear hub drive had tons of torque, but the 15 mph limit just didn't quite cut it. I naturally cruised at approx. 18 mph and I simply couldn't find a way to modify the bike. I'm very aware that my BS10 isn't legal, but I can now cruise at 18 - 20 mph whilst using low assistance - bliss :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not to sure whether/how long they've been selling KTMs in the USA, but I see that they've just announced S-class KTMs in Europe, so that's probably your best bet. The German forum is also quite useful. You can use Google translate (automatic in Chrome) to read, but you need a few German words to search. I can't find anything useful on there at the moment. The KTM with Panasonic motor is still relatively new. It took about a year for Bosch hacks to start appearing.

http://www.pedelecforum.de/

Maybe Col from KTM will tell you how it works, then at least you'll know what your aiming at. He should also know who you need to bribe to reprogram it.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'd just see if I can sell the KTM e-cross P for good price.

And if yes, I'd replace it with a BBS02. 25A controller.

I'm afraid as I've said before we can't and won't help people make their bikes illegal.

I'm not putting my company and years of work on the line by helping people break the law, for one simple reason.

If you crash your bike, or cause a car to react in a certain way and it hits a queue of people waiting for bus... I will not have the insurance company / police coming to us to ask why we said it was ok, or even informed anyone of how it can be done.

I'm not saying your not entitled to make the decisions / take the risks your self.

But you should realise that riding an illegal bike is not the same as speeding. Its the same as driving an untaxed, un MOT'd, un insured car. Which is something I'm sure you'd not be happy with.

Col

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
absolutely agree Col and wouldn't expect KTM to help out for those very reasons.

...although the S class sounds interesting for some off road use :)