Import Tariff Codes and Duty.

D

Deleted member 4366

Em3ev is in HongKong. Stuff from there still seems to slip through the net.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Em3ev is in HongKong. Stuff from there still seems to slip through the net.
My motor came from Hong Kong too via Japan,Kentucky,Alaksa and Germany.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
ADT on electric bikes? that's nonsense.
There is no justification for impposing ADT on electric bikes where most of the value of the bike can be found in the electrical parts (motors, controllers, LCD, cabling) which have zero duty and Lithium batteries, 5% duty, mechanical bike, 48.5%. When averaging out duty on all the components, the EU arrived at 6% import duty for the whole electric bike.
Hi Hatti,

I would love to think you were correct. However on Friday FreeGo confirmed that they had the same news from their manufacturer. I received this from our partners over the weekend after sending the response from the BA.

Hi David
Thanks for the info.
Trust me, it will happen in 6-7 month even if I don't want to believe that.
I have confirmed with Lawyer, they told me we will have less then 10% chance it will not happen.

I still think it may be a storm in a tea cup, however the Chinese factories I know are all saying the same thing. I am not being alarmist, just letting others share the information I am getting. We all need to work as a team.

All the best, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi David,

Hatti does not post much, Tony does the posting here from now on.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Tony, Just spoken to another big manufacturer, they are moving production for Europe to Bulgaria. They already have a plant and this news is pushing them to speed up the process of moving ebike production. Interestingly the prices will about remain the same as FOB Shenzhen.

All the best, David

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...another big manufacturer, they are moving production for Europe to Bulgaria.... They already have a plant... the prices will about remain the same as FOB Shenzhen.
Does this really help the UK e-bike resellers when we're (supposed to be) leaving the EU at some point shortly... and that'll likely introduce a whole new raft of European import/export tariffs (albeit hopefully lower than these protectionist Chicken Taxes)? It may be after Brexit that better/lower/non-protectionist tariffs can be negotiated direct with China for both e-bikes and normal bikes imported into the UK... Isn't one of the benefits of leaving the EU the ability to negotiate trade direct with China where the EU has singularly failed? Isn't it mostly the Germans and Dutch keen on these e-bike protectionist duties rather than the UK... why should we be penalised? Just throwing these thoughts out there...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi CycleBuddy

I am sure you are correct, this whole situation has reared its ugly head due to pressure from European manufacturers who no doubt argue if Pedelecs are treated as motor less cycles under law, why should they not fall under the same tariffs.

I am afraid if this does happen by August as suggested Brexit will not help.

I will continue to post any news have, it would be useful to hear from other manufacturers if they hear anything along the same lines.

Regards, David

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We have not heard any news from our suppliers regarding change of tariff.
China is expecting to be recognized as a market economy from 2017 by WTO, it will be a lot more difficult to impose anti dumping on Chinese imports from now on.
The 48.5% anti-dumping on bicycles will be reviewed in 2018. We'll know a lot more at the end of 2017, we expect it will be phased out.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Tony,

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Would you or Hatti like to see the official document in Mandarin, sent by our main partner in China.

If you PM me with your email address, I would be happy to share in confidence.

All the best, David

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi David, perhaps it is time to look into the design of horse drawn carts as a diversification to your main business model as an alternative regulation free mode of transport;)

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Croxden

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David, perhaps it is time to look into the design on horse drawn carts as a diversification to your main business model as an alternative regulation free mode of transport;)
Brilliant, quite brilliant!! The only problem as I can see it is how do we feed the horses in the container on the journey from China?

Reactions: Croxden

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
You will be able to put a Union flag sticker on them - your USP is that they can go in reverse - with an addition of a couple of house bricks you could offer a speed dongle;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
LATEST

EBMA Denies Request for Dumping Investigation on China Made E-Bikes

laws & regulations

BRUSSELS, Belgium – Last week on November 22 the China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products held an ‘Alert Meeting on the EU anti-dumping investigation for e-bikes.’ The European Bicycle Manufacturers’ Association (EBMA) denies to have submitted an application to the European Commission requesting to start an investigation on the dumping of e-bikes and speed e-bikes made in China and exported to the EU member states.

Last week China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products held an ‘Alert Meeting on the EU anti-dumping investigation for e-bikes.’ – Photo Bike Europe
The China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products notification for the Alert Meeting said, “We recently learned that an application has been submitted to the European Commission by the European Bicycle Manufacturers Association, requesting to start an investigation on the anti-dumping of e-bikes and speed e-bikes made in China, the HS codes of the investigated products are 87119010 and 87119090. According to the provisions of EU anti-dumping legislation, the Commission will decide within 45 days from receiving the application whether it be put on record officially.”

Responding strategies
The China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products notification continues with, “According to the ‘Provisions on Responding to Anti-Dumping Actions of Export Products’ by the Ministry of Commerce of the People’s Republic of China, the Chamber is in charge of the organization and coordination of the responding cases. To assist the enterprises to respond to this case, an alert meeting will be held on Nov 22, 2016 in Beijing, to early notice information, learn business opinions, analyze the case and discuss coping strategies. The Trade Relief Bureau of the Ministry of Commerce will appoint an authority for guidance.”

EBMA’s official reaction
Bike Europe asked EBMA for a reaction on the China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Machinery and Electronic Products notification. The European Bicycle Manufacturers Association response says, “There is not any current EBMA request, nor – in EBMA’s knowledge – any new investigation at the European Union Commission at present. The rapidly growing imports from China to the EU are being monitored through Eurostat.”

EBMA also points to the fact the in the past rumours on an anti-dumping duty on the import into the EU of e-bikes were going round in China. EBMA specifically point to a report that this trade journal posted earlier on its website.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It does look that way Dave. I do wonder how it all started. For the EBMA to feel the need to publicly state they have not requested an investigation probably means there is some substance to the Chinese reaction.

I am going to monitor as closely as possible.

All the best, David

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
It does look that way Dave. I do wonder how it all started. For the EBMA to feel the need to publicly state they have not requested an investigation probably means there is some substance to the Chinese reaction.
Is it getting three denials from the government before it comes to pass?
Testing the ground to see the possible reaction.