Improved Rush Trek

720 Cycles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2008
LiFePO4 Battery (36V 9A) 2 year warranty.

3 power levels of assistance at pedals, high mode 22 mph achievable
Full mudguards, good rack, front and rear led lights.
Adjustable handlebar height/position.
New precision gear motor, quiet and powerful (250 Watt).
Better brake discs.
Bar mounted throttle switch.

The above combine to make a good bike even better, these are just some of the main improvements, we think this bike compares with the best.

Just taken delivery so too excited to list everything... Back soon

Attachments

Last edited:

720 Cycles

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2008
Price

Hi Flecc,

Retail price will be about £849.00 and a spare battery at £250.00 ish

Darren :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the prompt response Darren, those are very good prices and should ensure plenty of interest. There's been quite a hole in the market for powerful e-bikes with a reasonable range in that price region, so it's good to have this available.

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
Hi Flecc,

Retail price will be about £849.00 and a spare battery at £250.00 ish

Darren :)
Look like a nice evolution of the existing Trek.

Should the time come when I need a new battery for My Trek, will this one fit the existing fitting (plus a new charger i guess)?

Also, is it possible to fit switchable power to an existing Trek, I presume with new controller?

Terry

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
What new Bafang motor ?

I see you mention an upgraded Bafang motor. How different is it from the old generation ? I'm after a bike that can help me climb my local hills (I would be switching off the assistance on other parts of the journey), and I would need between 20-30 miles range. Would the new Trek be able to deliver this kind of performance ?
Regards, Daniel
PS: yes, I'm the same guy who's thinking of putting a motor kit on his beloved Brompton, but who is getting bored of the supplier not replying emails...

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I see you mention an upgraded Bafang motor. How different is it from the old generation ? I'm after a bike that can help me climb my local hills (I would be switching off the assistance on other parts of the journey), and I would need between 20-30 miles range. Would the new Trek be able to deliver this kind of performance ?
Mhmm, interesting. Darren (one of the business partners from 720cycles) kindly (and promptly) replied to my questions about the updated "Rush Trek" e-bike.

RUSH TREK CITY ELECTRIC BIKE - LiFePO4 BATTERY 2YR WAR' on eBay (end time 12-Sep-09 13:54:50 BST)

Apparently they are not using a Bafang motor anymore ! I'm looking forward to hearing more, probably from Simon (the other partner) who seems to know more about the technical aspects.

So far, having read old threads on this forum about the e-bikes imported by 720-Cycles, I am quite impressed. I might even consider giving-up on my Brompton-Nano hopes, and go for a full-size bike instead...we shall see ! :)

Cheers, Daniel

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Apparently they are not using a Bafang motor anymore !
The emphasis in the e-bike description is on how "Quiet" the motor is. Is it the usual brushless + planetary nylon gears configuration, or something radically new ? The 2-year warranty is reassuring, given that we don't know much about the reliability of the new motor (and probably controller) unit.

Thank you, Dan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The latest Suzhou Bafang motors have a very large diameter bearing on one side, enabling a stationary centre side plate which in turn permits a side plate entry for the cables, instead of the old "through the spindle" method. This means the spindle is solid and stronger.

Although I'm sure they still use orbital gearing like the previous series, the more rigid spindle and internal changes that come with that are likely to make the motor much quieter, less vibration and harmonics.

Ironically this has happened just as some makers have stopped using them, namely eZee with one model exception and the 720cycles manufacturer now.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
The latest Suzhou Bafang motors have a very large diameter bearing on one side, enabling a stationary centre side plate which in turn permits a side plate entry for the cables, instead of the old "through the spindle" method. This means the spindle is solid and stronger.
I guess you are talking about the "8Fun"-branded motor (looks good indeed, 100mm would fit on my Brompton):

Suzhou Bafang Electric Motor Science-Technology Co.,Ltd.

Suzhou Bafang Electric Motor Science-Technology Co.,Ltd.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's the one. The earlier spindle entry model is the one on my website. These are very powerful motors, in the eZee bikes giving 576 watts peak output with gross peak power at around 700 watts.

They eat batteries though, which may be why 720cycles are changing to another motor since they are early adopters of LiFePO4 and might not want to risk such high current drain on a new battery type.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I see. Thank you Flecc !

Some extra details on their corporate marketing brochure:

http://www.szbaf.com/images/5-6.jpg

That's the one. The earlier spindle entry model is the one on my website. These are very powerful motors, in the eZee bikes giving 576 watts peak output with gross peak power at around 700 watts.

They eat batteries though, which may be why 720cycles are changing to another motor since they are early adopters of LiFePO4 and might not want to risk such high current drain on a new battery type.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those figures up to 350 watts on the brochure will be nominal and referring to legal limits for various countries. That one on my website is nominally a 250 watt motor for example, but it gives the powers I quoted on an adequate 37 volt battery lithium battery, or any 36 volt NiMh one.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

Although I'm sure they still use orbital gearing like the previous series, the more rigid spindle and internal changes that come with that are likely to make the motor much quieter, less vibration and harmonics.

Ironically this has happened just as some makers have stopped using them, namely eZee with one model exception and the 720cycles manufacturer now.
Well, the latest Brompton Sparticle kit from the ETS seems to be based on the latest 8-Fun from Suzhou Bafang, so not everyone is giving-up :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Very nice too, I like the SB products and this latest motor has the edge on the rest I think. Just a pity they don't have a retail agent for individual purchases.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Very nice too, I like the SB products and this latest motor has the edge on the rest I think. Just a pity they don't have a retail agent for individual purchases.
Slightly off-topic for this thread:

Funnily-enough, Bafang don't have a 16" option for their SWXK model, so choosing the 24V model and using it with a 36V controller and battery would probably be the best way to get close to 260 RPM...I'm actually in touch with someone who is riding with this setup, and says there's no overheating problem, only the torque is huge so he is worried about the nylon planetary gears ! A guy from Endless-Sphere says he's swapped a nylon gear for a steel one...no problems under load. That could do the trick...I just wish Bafang offered a wider choice of wheel sizes for their latest motor.

Cheers, dan

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
what kind of range would the Rush Trek have? and can anyone confirm the motor manufacturer?

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
and can anyone confirm the motor manufacturer?
It's not the Bafang anymore. I've seen photos of the internals of the current rear hub motor, it's still brushless, based on the orbital gears design, but with thicker walls so it could potentially be more silent.

Sad to hear about the controller problems though.

720-Cycles haven't sold much via their eBay outlet it seems, with 9 stagnating feedback entries since I first discovered them a while ago. They probably sell more through their 2 physical locations.

Shame that they didn't communicate more on this forum, as I'm sure they would have made a few more sales. Alien Bikes now offers a similar package at a similar price-point, and they seem like a more established brand (with a name that sticks in people's mind).

Cheers, Dan

jimgreen

Just Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Battery for a Improved Rush Trek E Bike

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement battery? Bought two bikes from 720 Cycles in 2009 but having difficulty locating them and a battery. Help, please!