In The Beginning

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I went for a spin round Richmond Park yesterday and came across these two gentlemen.

What a great sight! They were riding at a brisk pace and told me that the bikes were no more difficult or onerous to ride than a modern once once you'd become used to them.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are enthusiast clubs for these worldwide, race events as well, and each year one country hosts an
international rally. We had one in the England about two/three years ago.

The proper name for them is "Ordinary", distinguishing them from the safety bicycles that we ride, but the
slang name among the general public is "penny-farthing". Enthusiasts these days prefer to call them
"high-wheelers" though.

I've only ever ridden one once when a teenager delivering it to a customer after repair, and to be frank, I
found it terrifying. Dismounting is the worst part, basically a simple technique but not easy to master.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Very cool but I wouldn't want to even try to get on one never mind ride it! Great to see though.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Hampton Court, just over the Thames from Richmond Park, was the scene of 'monster meets' of up to 3,000 Ordinary bicycle riders in the mid to late 1870s. By 1878 they are able to form a procession over a mile long!

Here they are going down Chestnut Avenue in what is now Bushy Park (with the Diana fountain in the background). A couple of customers test rode a pair of Kalkhoffs around there only yesterday.

Southwest London was very much the cycling hub of Britain (and the world) for a time (and if I have my way, it'll be an electric cycling hub in the 2010s too) ;)

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
And one paying customer too!
It's now my nearest park. The road surface on Chestnut Avenue is almost as magnificent as the view. They need to turn the fountain back on though, that would be cherry on top of it all.