Indicator lights

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
I have just received some (2) flashing indicator lights from Safe Turn Bicycle Indicator Light - Bike Turn Signal for Cyclist's Safety they are an Australian company, ordered on Thurs.31 Jan 08 arrived 4th Feb. today, excellent service!
The lights seem very good & are very bright, but I haven't time to try them out properly yet.
They charged me £3.66 p+p from Melbourne, superb! A local camera shop wants to charge me £3.99 to deliver a 55mm dia. U.V. filter for my camera over about 25 miles:mad:

Derrick - Llanberis

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
confusing indicators

i thought about indecator lights but figured as they would be so close to each other that they would either confuse drivers or make you think you are safe and are not...just my thoughts though.

derrick7

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2007
Llanberis LL55 4TD (Snowdonia)
Puzzled

i thought about indecator lights but figured as they would be so close to each other that they would either confuse drivers or make you think you are safe and are not...just my thoughts though.
On the wrist of an outstretched arm? I think you have got the wrong impression about the lights I am emailing about. These go on your wrist like a large watch, the LEDs blink when the arm is raised to signal a turn & go off when your hands go down to the handlebar.

Derrick - Llanberis:confused:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Until I veiwed the link I also thought they were "conventional" indicators, of which I don't approve due to the possible confusion with flashing rearlights. These however seem to be a good idea as they simply reinforce the signal given by the outstretched arm and leave little room for confusion.

I guess the only problem is that being Australian they have to be worn upside down:D

Amazing Delivery charge and speed, as you say it normally takes longer and costs more from just down the road.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
What an excellent idea. I would be very interested to hear how you get on with these. One constant worry I have when riding the 'bent is that the car behind hasn't understood, or seen, my signals when turning right. With the restricted rear vision on the 'bent, and the consequent reliance more on the mirror, anything that reinforces the turn signal seems a very good thing.

Like all the really good ideas, this one seems deceptively simple.

Jeremy

giguana

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2007
is it legal on a push bike? at the front or at the back? that would be really funny to have some little yellow leds next to the main lights!haha.
I have some voltage current converters for leds if anyone wants.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
On the wrist of an outstretched arm? I think you have got the wrong impression about the lights I am emailing about. These go on your wrist like a large watch, the LEDs blink when the arm is raised to signal a turn & go off when your hands go down to the handlebar.

Derrick - Llanberis:confused:
sorry i didnt understand when i first read, but yes sounds like a cool idea, certainly attract the driver behind,hope the light wafting up and down in the dark does not confuse any drivers coming in the other direction though....

Merv

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2008
Bike Indicators

Hi, I designed my own turn indicators for my push bike, The front and rear lights are spaced out on plastic conduit bars away from the centre line of the cycle. I used flashing front and rear led's but when turning these refer to a steady state while the indicators flash. Drivers generally take notice when approaching from behind, but I've had several who have ignored them!! I still use hand signals as well. The indicator housings are front led lights with the innards removed, and replaced with ultra bright amber led's_ three in each housing. The system uses a micro controller circuit. The front and rear lamps flash alternatively to save power. The whole system is powered by a 3.8 volt NiMh battery pack and lasts for weeks between charges. I have an advantage as a electronics engineer but was an interesting project to install.

chantelauze

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2007
France
i see 2 drawbacks to this Australian Safe Turn Indicatot light :

1) to put it around your two hands as you start your bicycle
( after putting your helmet , undoing yr locker ....etc...one more thing to do )

2) in city cycling conditions you may often start turning and raising your hand , then slow down suddenly thus putting down your hand on the handle bar...so what happens : you are not finished turning yet , you are in idle position ...in stand by position before resumiing , but your turning light is already idle , and nobody sees you anymore ?

could you show a picture of your own installment Merv ?

Last edited:
M

mk1

What's wrong with just putting your arm out. It has worked perfectly well up until now, it's very simple and doesn't use batteries!.
Adding indicators to a bicycle can only confuse drivers. Also the more you make a bike look like a motor vehicle, the more chance there is we will be forced to have road tax and insurance:( .

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

chantelauze

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2007
France
not much wrong with lifting your arm up ( i do it all the time ) but :

1) you need to have a good control of your balance , some people are not used to do it

2 ) if your curve is interrupted , each time you raise yr arm up & down yr turning ligt stops and you stay almost invisible from other vehicles ( specially at night ) ...take a look at my quick hand drawing ...in steps 3 & 4 ,it's likely you may necessitate to stop and stay idle for a few seconds - because your hand is back on the handlebar - and your turning light is in non working position

Attachments

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
not much wrong with lifting your arm up ( i do it all the time ) but :

1) you need to have a good control of your balance , some people are not used to do it

2 ) if your curve is interrupted , each time you raise yr arm up & down yr turning ligt stops and you stay almost invisible from other vehicles ( specially at night ) ...take a look at my quick hand drawing ...in steps 3 & 4 ,it's likely you may necessitate to stop and stay idle for a few seconds - because your hand is back on the handlebar - and your turning light is in non working position
I have no problem with raising my arm but can't do it if I have to look behind. Hence a good mirror is essential for me, but they are easy to get and fit I find. It has to be an ordinary mirror for me - the diminishing ones are hopeless.

M

mk1

That looks a dangerous maneuver, especially in this country:D

Martin

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
What's wrong with just putting your arm out. It has worked perfectly well up until now, it's very simple and doesn't use batteries!.
And what's more is what the Highway code and other road users expect you to do, at least in the UK.

Of course there will always be some cyclists who for various reasons find hand signals difficult and for them an alternative may be useful but for the majority big bold hand signals are the safest.

Merv

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2008
Indicators

I'll take a pic and send in if any body is interested ___ In my case I am disabled in my right hand and arm so I find it difficult to use good hand signals.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
It sounds like yours is a good implementation Merv, with indicators spaced out from the centerline. Unfortunately there are some very poor implementations on the market, most being no more than gimmicks. One I've seen was a small rearlamp with an amber cap on each side, and behind the amber caps were flashing red LED's to form the indicators.
I think the only real solution for anyone who is unable to use an arm for signaling is to do what you have done and make your own, as I've yet to see a commercial product I'd trust.

chantelauze

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2007
France
not bad at all but 2 minor disadvantages to this Oberon system
- the handlebar is larger , not convenient when you drive in cities
- has to be adapted to be alimented witt batteries like AA or button cells , for a bicycle use

a few month ago i saw on ebay the underneath chinese and cheap turning light + tail light + horn , all in one combination ; But i don't recall the price ( about 10 euros perhaps )

Attachments