Indicators

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
I have 2 of the rear turn light mentioned by mister-e at on the first page of thread.
there seems to be different types, some light up when you brake? mine do not , in daylight the lasers /turn signals may not be clear enough.
I bought a slightly different type, which I think might be a bit more obvious to people behind in cars, cant fit wing lights due to type of mirror fittedhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/i/232374107442?chn=ps&adgroupid=47558299615&rlsatarget=pla-379117381340&abcId=1128936&adtype=pla&merchantid=113739335&poi=&googleloc=9045964&device=c&campaignid=857337246&crdt=0

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
For those that would like Winglights but can’t fit them because they have got Dutch handlebars or moulded grips. I didn’t fit mine into the handlebar ends. I bought a pair of handlebar bar ends and fitted my Winglights into them. Easy to operate, i don’t need to take my hands off, just turn them on and off using one finger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These things do worry me slightly. We have looked at them a lot, as we thought about selling them.

My issues are.

1) you'll think cars can see them, when they can't. From behind, you'll be in the way.

2) from the front, they are so close together especially on bikes with narrow bars that it just looks like a flashing light on a bike.. not an indicator. I'm covered in flashing lights when I ride at night.

I worry it'll make people think they have been seen indicating, when they haven't been.

I hope I'm wrong.

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
These things do worry me slightly. We have looked at them a lot, as we thought about selling them.

My issues are.

1) you'll think cars can see them, when they can't. From behind, you'll be in the way.

2) from the front, they are so close together especially on bikes with narrow bars that it just looks like a flashing light on a bike.. not an indicator. I'm covered in flashing lights when I ride at night.

I worry it'll make people think they have been seen indicating, when they haven't been.

I hope I'm wrong.
They can be seen front and back easily in dull and dark conditions when they are most needed. They are not a replacement for hand signals. They are a back-up to hand signals and are highly visible in dull and dark conditions. Front and back.

They can be seen front and back easily in dull and dark conditions when they are most needed. They are not a replacement for hand signals. They are a back-up to hand signals and are highly visible in dull and dark conditions. Front and back.

I appreciate they are flashing lights, what I'm saying is that on a narrow bike, viewed by drivers who don't expect bikes to have indicators, they will just be seen as another flashing light. Describing them as indicators is going to cause problems, visible or not.

We did a lot of testing with them, before deciding not to take on the distribution rights.

Same as motorcycles, mopeds, scooters and mobility scooters. In the dark they all look the same.

Well yes, but also no. Those vehicles move at a much more comparable speed, and also I'd not be using it as a comparison to claim its safe based on how many motorcyclists are killed at junctions.

People also expect to see indicators on motorbikes, with no other flashing lights.

People expect to see flashing lights on bikes, not indicators.

• Agree
Reactions: Wheel-E
They could be described as hazard warning lights. Drivers react to a bright amber light which flashes at the same speed as motor vehicle lights.

Sorry if I'm not expressing myself clearly enough here.

Cyclists who commute are covered in flashing lights. One more won't obviously be an indicator on a vehicle motorists don't expect to see indicators on.

On other vehichles like motorbikes, they don't have any flashing lights, so an indicator, which is expected, is obvious.

The safest way to ride, is to consider your self invisible, expect no one to have seen you and you'll be safer.

Expecting to be seen, leads to disappoint and pain.

• Agree
Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I have no flashing lights on my bikes. They aren't legal lighting and on the occasions I am a driver I find some to be dangerous they are so blinding.

Indicators are not obligatory on mopeds in France. Nobody here will be expecting to see them on a bicycle.

Mister-E

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2016
Coventry
I bought a slightly different type, which I think might be a bit more obvious to people behind in cars, cant fit wing lights due to type of mirror fittedhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/i/232374107442?chn=ps&adgroupid=47558299615&rlsatarget=pla-379117381340&abcId=1128936&adtype=pla&merchantid=113739335&poi=&googleloc=9045964&device=c&campaignid=857337246&crdt=0
Hi Footpump,
Thanks for the info - have you used this yet or only just ordered? I'd be interested in knowing how they work for you...
Might even just jump and try one myself...

Mister-E

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
Before Winglights i fitted a wireless type. Very dangerous they were. It was hit n miss whether they turned on or off. Even if the little activation button on the handlebars was lit to say they were on, half the time they weren’t on. Or the other way around, it says they are off yet they would still be flashing. Unless you got off and checked you wouldn’t know. Useless. In the rubbish bin for them.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
mister e i don't commute as such on my ebikes , for work,
so i try to avoid ridding in the dark.
i used to check light /indicators were working prior to setting off ,

e_kid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 1, 2017
UK
I remember these from Dragon's Den!

Think they're a really good idea, because signalling with hands is flawed in the sense that as soon as I put my arms back down, i wonder how many people still know I'm about to turn. Could maneuver the entire turn with one arm, but it feels too dangerous.

On the downside, I'm not confident that driver's will honor them.

What have peoples experiences so far been? Must be a fair amount of drivers who don't recognise them as indicators, which must affect ones confidence in using them.