Information on throttle on green edge

Burto17

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2019
Can anyone explain what the throttle is on a green edge cs2 electric bike as I am looking to buy one but before I do I am unsure whether you can just use the throttle up a bank or if you need to peddle as well. As I just want to rev it up the bank not peddle as I aren't fit enough and I am trying to build up on one. Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Post 2016 throttles are configured to be used if you pedal first.
Some LCD's/systems may let you change the parameter setting to stand alone /full throttle though the law states this is illegal.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Post 2016 throttles are configured to be used if you pedal first.
Some LCD's/systems may let you change the parameter setting to stand alone /full throttle though the law states this is illegal.
I've never seen one where you have to pedal first. I think you're mistaken. Instead, they're all limited to 4 mph.

Actually, what I said isn't true. There was that Storck Raddar thing that caused a bust-up on the forum about 8 years ago. It had a throttle that only worked when you pedalled. And the old Powabykes had a weird arrangement, where you had to pedal before you could operate the throttle, but only for the first operation after starting. After that, you could use the throttle independently until you switched off.

Burto17

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2019
I've never seen one where you have to pedal first. I think you're mistaken. Instead, they're all limited to 4 mph.

Actually, what I said isn't true. There was that Storck Raddar thing that caused a bust-up on the forum about 8 years ago. It had a throttle that only worked when you pedalled. And the old Powabykes had a weird arrangement, where you had to pedal before you could operate the throttle, but only for the first operation after starting. After that, you could use the throttle independently until you switched off.
So can you use the throttle on the greenedge on its own then up bank? Or do you have to peddle as well? Trying to find out what the law is on these electric bikes is a nightmare, lots are saying different things what is legal and what isn't..

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A bit of confusion has set in.
Throttles are now supposed to be walk assist only so up to 4mph/6km/h.
A full speed throttle isn't legal, to be legal to comply it is only meant to be active once you have pedalled, my KT's when configured this way is about 1/2 crank/pedal rotation. With a KT lcd you can configure a throttle to be stand alone usage or pedal first.
Woosh bikes are configured pedal first for full throttle.

You will need to test ride to see if the bike you want does or does not offer this.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
A bit of confusion has set in.
Throttles are now supposed to be walk assist only so up to 4mph/6km/h.
A full speed throttle isn't legal, to be legal to comply it is only meant to be active once you have pedalled, my KT's when configured this way is about 1/2 crank/pedal rotation. With a KT lcd you can configure a throttle to be stand alone usage or pedal first.
Woosh bikes are configured pedal first for full throttle.

You will need to test ride to see if the bike you want does or does not offer this.
All correct, but OP is talking about OEM bikes. that's just going to confuse him.

"Woosh bikes are configured pedal first for full throttle." I didn't know about that. thanks.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So can you use the throttle on the greenedge on its own then up bank? Or do you have to peddle as well? Trying to find out what the law is on these electric bikes is a nightmare, lots are saying different things what is legal and what isn't..
No.

The pedal sensor will give you maximum power when you go up a hill, so the throttle wouldn't do anything when you're pedalling. You set the power level from 0 to 5 with a switch attached to the LCD. Whenever you pedal, you get the power you select. The throttle will work on its own up to 4 mph, so pretty useless.

Like Nealh says, many LCDs have settings in them, where you can change things around, but you need to know the codes for that. If you ring E-bikesdirect.co.uk, they'll explain what you can do and whether they release the codes, but you have to understand that they might think that you're press or a competitor checking up on whether they're complying with the law. I's much better when you're face to face with money in your hand.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

Both my TONARO Enduro and Woosh Gale have stand alone throttles.
(there is no pedelec etc. on the TONARO, it is throttle only)
They were made before 2016

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Both my TONARO Enduro and Woosh Gale have stand alone throttles.
(there is no pedelec etc. on the TONARO, it is throttle only)
They were made before 2016
That's what I said. I was referring to what you can buy today, and responding to them talking about ones where you have to pedal first before the throttle would operate, i.e. the throttle would only work when you're pedalling, which would be legal but pointless since you can get whatever power you want from the pedal sensor already.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
where you have to pedal first before the throttle would operate, i.e. the throttle would only work when you're pedalling
No, the throttle will work once you have pedalled, and continue to work even when you stop pedalling. (not sure when it stops working? when you stop altogether? when you brake? ???)

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No, the throttle will work once you have pedalled, and continue to work even when you stop pedalling. (not sure when it stops working? when you stop altogether? when you brake? ???)
I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that's how the Greenedge CS2 works, which is the question we are answering?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Sorry, I had lost the OP Greenedge aspect; and was answering your comment with my understanding of 'what you can buy today', eg some Woosh models
and if you want to use just the throttle without pedalling, you have to pedal a couple of seconds beforehand. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

I assume that is what the rather curious details of the law allows??? No idea of whether it applies to any Greenedges.